PDA

View Full Version : OT: Is it me?

whiskychaser
10-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Driving home this afternoon along a dual carriageway. There is a third lane on the right controlled by lights -for people turning right. About 4 cars are waiting. So as I come to pass the last car on his inside, he smartly turns left into my lane. Now I know I've got traffic on MY inside lane so I've nowhere to go. Moved about a foot to my left and waited for the bang. Even got enough time to think: front wing, both doors, rear wing, rear bumper: write off. Missed him though! Next set of lights is only 300 yards and he is now right behind me. So I get out to have 'a quiet word'. I hear the dead bolts on his car go before my door is closed and he is staring straight ahead like he car set me car on fire with his eyes. Everybody fcks up-but when you do, you put your hand up dont you? Or is it me? Mouthed a word beginning with 'w' and drove off

repenttokyo
10-08-2007, 01:38 PM
something to remember when you get out of your car to confront someone on the road: you never know who the other person involved is.

Rus
10-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Most of these people get into a car and behave like they've just sat down to watch TV...ie brain off, and ready for a mesmerizing show of lights, sounds, and smells. I suspect most are quite surprised when a personage from their personal slide show suddenly tries to step into their lives. It would be nice if these people took some responsibility for their actions, but that is not something they have the decency to do, or were ever taught. Rather than trying to explain something to them, I prefer to focus on predicting their dumbest possible move. With practice, I think I've gotten quite good at it. Plus, as repenttokyo mentioned, its not always safe to try and get some 1 on 1 time with your offender. You were lucky that he only bolted down his doors and didn't try to do something as irrational as his actions on the motorway.

Barney Paull-Edwards
10-08-2007, 02:27 PM
Do what I do on tugs in yacht ports, carry an egg. Very effective on a screen!

whiskychaser
10-08-2007, 03:40 PM
I think perhaps I expressed myself badly. The cautions about getting out of the car are wise and I take them on board. What I meant was if I fck up - and its not very often - I have the good grace to put my hand up and acknowledge it. So maybe my question should have been 'is it only me?' that does this. Or am I that old fashioned I should have a guy with a red flag warlking in front of my car?

rob101
10-08-2007, 03:55 PM
I think perhaps I expressed myself badly. The cautions about getting out of the car are wise and I take them on board. What I meant was if I fck up - and its not very often - I have the good grace to put my hand up and acknowledge it. So maybe my question should have been 'is it only me?' that does this. Or am I that old fashioned I should have a guy with a red flag warlking in front of my car?
acknowledge it, but don't expect anyone else to. he probably thought you were going to stab him, after all you expect "their dumbest possible move" you would expect someone getting out of a car to be about to commit road rage. Getting out of your car and approaching another stopped at a traffic light after a near miss in this day and age is almost universally perceived as an aggressive action.

Morgenster
10-08-2007, 03:57 PM
I kind of shrug, put up my hand and give the 'yikes, I'm sorry' look when I goof up, but that's rare. So you're not alone.

repenttokyo
10-08-2007, 04:14 PM
there really needs to be some universal hand signal for "i'm sorry". I wish i had a sign on my car i could light up that would say that, in french and english.

Torque
10-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Just let it go. You didn't collide with him, go on your way ... no need to get out of your car. All is fine and dandy if he just locks his car and drives off, but chances are someone will shoot you ...

whiskychaser
10-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Just let it go. You didn't collide with him, go on your way ... no need to get out of your car. ...
Normally I would agree. I get idiots every day. But today was my day off and I was driving my car. Any other day I wouldnt have the foot to give and they would be picking bits of the passenger from under my trailer wheels. I just think if you fck up you should be man enough to hold your hand up. But I still hold doors open for ladies too

Torque
10-08-2007, 04:39 PM
I agree with you completely, but if I saw someone walking towards my car (regardless of how big or small my f-ck up was), all they would be talking to is a big cloud of tire smoke and exhaust noise.

whiskychaser
10-08-2007, 04:57 PM
I agree with you completely, but if I saw someone walking towards my car (regardless of how big or small my f-ck up was), all they would be talking to is a big cloud of tire smoke and exhaust noise.
He wasnt going anywhere cos he was blocked in all round. Never think of it at the time but it would be nice to have said 'I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. Gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might be able to convince him that you didn't mean nothin' by it...