PDA

View Full Version : Jacking point collapsed...

e34.535i.sport
10-08-2007, 10:58 AM
Hey there, my RH front jacking point collapsed a while back and i've been using the trolley jack underneath for a while now but its getting on my nerves and i often find i need the second jack for other thingsa even when using jack stands. Does anyone know if you can buy the jacking points and change them or does it need welding or something? As i was using the BMW jack it made a noise and went from a __ shape to a ^ shape! All four are rusty so i need to do something really before i lose another one.

Thanks.

Jon K
10-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Jack the car up by the inner unibody frame rails

e34.535i.sport
10-08-2007, 12:06 PM
In lamens terms?! I'm not sure what that is sorry! Hey, i saw your cylinder head by the way... looks amazing. Looking into doing something similar wheni do the clylinder head gasket soon...

Jon K
10-08-2007, 12:15 PM
Thanks.

Get under the car right where the factory jack spot is. Now, look about 16" toward the center of the car. You will see a "beam" on either side of the car (one for each side). You can jack the car by that. Use a rubber guard on the jack or it'll chew up the under coating.

whiskychaser
10-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Thanks.

Get under the car right where the factory jack spot is. Now, look about 16" toward the center of the car. You will see a "beam" on either side of the car (one for each side). You can jack the car by that. Use a rubber guard on the jack or it'll chew up the under coating.
You might want to use a hetfy chunk of wood between your trolley jack and the box section too. Spreads the load and helps stop it from squashing

Jon K
10-08-2007, 02:15 PM
eh never had a problem squashing it just tearing up the rubber coating.

whiskychaser
10-08-2007, 03:52 PM
eh never had a problem squashing it just tearing up the rubber coating.
Strange. Never had a problem with tearing up underseal:)

Jon K
10-08-2007, 05:05 PM
Your car doesn't squat hard under acceleration :P

whiskychaser
10-08-2007, 05:10 PM
Your car doesn't squat hard under acceleration :P
You are right. I have springs that stop that happening:)

JohnnyBlue
10-09-2007, 03:24 PM
drill a small whole the size of a straw< purchase a two part metal bond eposy gun and a couples tubes of glue chaulk and fill the hollow space above you jack point> this glue will dry hard as steel and reinforce thestress point!
john blouin Jblouin@remaxcrown.ca

e34.535i.sport
10-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Hey thanks. I need to get a bigger, better jack like a shop one. The circular base on mine is only small so i use a block of wood on it to make sure it doesn't dissapear into the car.

Thanks for the idea Johnnyblue - i might get this done by someone with a little experience in this field...