PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic Oil Drain plug - who is using them?

shogun
10-08-2007, 07:28 AM
ad says:
Magnetic drain plugs attract and hold ferrous metal particles that circulate through your lubrication or hydraulic system.

The particles may be a result of the following conditions:

The constant flaking effect of normal wear of moving parts.
Particles not removed by flushing after boring or machining.
Chipping due to sub surface casting flaws.
Minute component breakdown caused by stress usage.

Usually it is a combination of factors that account for the presence of these particles that are abrasive and will cause excessive wear unless they are removed. Also an increase of material being collected on your magnetic plug may be early warning of a problem. A small price to pay for a great piece of mind.
---------------------------------------------
Well, but there is a lot of non magnetic stuff in an engine which cannot be catched

What is your opinion?

http://www.autowerks.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=23134&cat=496&page=1

DIY oil plug with magnet
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/gkugler/

winfred
10-08-2007, 07:52 AM
had one on my 325 for a while, usually had a little bit of sludge on it but no real particles

genphreak
10-08-2007, 08:29 AM
had one on my 325 for a while, usually had a little bit of sludge on it but no real particlesThey can work, but it depends on position and the engine design. Many engineers argue on this one.

Because it is a permanent magnet inside an engine, the danger is that its magnetism is collected by particles in the oil and then may be transferred to places like rods and pistons where any magnetism collects particles (say in the rings) or on the conrods. I can't imagine it becoming enough of a problem myself, though it is (I was once told) very very rare indeed.

Personally I think an oil filter on its own will do a great job of getting the finer particles. If you wanted to collect all the metal bits you'd need lots of magnets.... heaps... :) My 2c worth, Nick

DueyT
10-08-2007, 09:46 AM
The drain plug is a low point anyway, so I would check it for any settling particles during an oil change. All the oil has to pas through the filter at some point, while not all oil necessarily passes by a magnetized plug.

The point genphreak makes is an interesting one, that if you magnetize particles, but the particle doesn't stay on the plug, it could attach itself somewhere else and stay there, possibly risking compenents more than leaving the particles to get caught in the filter.

Cheers
Duey

whiskychaser
10-08-2007, 09:57 AM
The point genphreak makes is an interesting one, that if you magnetize particles, but the particle doesn't stay on the plug, it could attach itself somewhere else and stay there, possibly risking compenents more than leaving the particles to get caught in the filter.

Cheers
Duey
All my screwdrivers have become magnetic over time. Its really handy as screws dont drop off the end. So I dont see a genuine magnet letting a small particle go once its got a grip on it. Pretty sure the gearbox has magnetic plug as standard but not sure about the engine

Barney Paull-Edwards
10-08-2007, 02:24 PM
Ask anybody who has had an old mini how good they are. My 1293 plug used to look like a tree at every change, an it was`nt all gearbox bits. I use an old Klysteron(radar) magnet tywrapped onto the filter case,not sure if it works but never had an oil pressure problem so maybe??

artguy
10-08-2007, 03:54 PM
I've heard the magnetic drain plugs aren't really that effective. my 2 cents.

Interestingly enough though, I have done various graphic design projects for a guy who manufactures magnetic filters for the engine and automatic transmission.

Here's a link to a recent product flyer we did for oil change places to pass out to customers:
http://www.captive1.com/mrk/Filter_Flyer%236082_Final.pdf

If you want more info his website is: http://www.bossproducts.us

This is not a promo plug. I get nothing out of this. I've never actually tried the products, but they have been around a while. Just trying to share some info I have.

Ross
10-09-2007, 08:21 AM
I used to slap a big magnet on the spin on oil filters but never bothered cutting them open to inspect for debris.
I suppose one could just drop one into the canister on our cars.
Since BMW provides a magnetic plug on the trannys but not the motors there must be a reason. Perhaps genphreaks explaination is why.