PDA

View Full Version : What you guys think - wrinkle black cool?

Jon K
10-07-2007, 11:27 PM
I think this contrasts with my engine setup much better than the all-silver and the gold one. The semi chrome engine block/head will contrast awesome with the wrinkle black valve cover and oil filter housing.

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/Misc%20Powder%20Coating/wrinklevalvecover2.jpg

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/Misc%20Powder%20Coating/wrinklevalvecover.jpg

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/E34%20525i%20Motor%20Build/oilhousingblack1.jpg

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/E34%20525i%20Motor%20Build/oilhousingblack3.jpg

I am still looking for a bosch alternator housing! (140 amp or whatever you have!) I need one so I can do the alternator else I am going to have to pull mine out... but yeah, any help is appreciated!

Alexlind123
10-08-2007, 12:13 AM
Thats just like what my valve cover is like, i think it will look awesome.

MBXB
10-08-2007, 12:32 AM
Awesome look!
Is that all powder coat?

Sam-Son
10-08-2007, 12:42 AM
You know looking across that awesome head to that bright thing with all the green tubes and the blues lights (still don't know what it is) :p I'm thinking to myself...do you own anything that's stock?

EDIT: oh yeah forgot to ask. Would you by any chance offer up your powdercoating expertise and services?

BigKriss
10-08-2007, 02:52 AM
time to get the engine running

uscharalph
10-08-2007, 03:20 AM
You know looking across that awesome head to that bright thing with all the green tubes and the blues lights (still don't know what it is) :p I'm thinking to myself...do you own anything that's stock?

EDIT: oh yeah forgot to ask. Would you by any chance offer up your powdercoating expertise and services?
That's his computer.

94_e34_525i
10-08-2007, 03:22 AM
Its his computer, with cooling system for the over clocked processor.

clevertd
10-08-2007, 04:35 AM
Well done! Did you powder coat the UUC lid wrinkle black as well?

sneekens
10-08-2007, 05:16 AM
Nice!!!!:d

Dave M
10-08-2007, 07:16 AM
I do prefer the black to the bling.

However, after doing the work to prep and paint my block, clean my head and polish and clearcoat some of the accessories (alt, oil filter housing ect.), I realized that its difficult to see anything but the accessories when the engine is re-assembled. Unless you look at just the right angle, you wouldn't know the block was painted. I know your intake and exhaust are 'different' and those items do much of the hiding, so I hope we're able to see all your hard work when you're done.

Either way, you know its there and thats what counts.

Dave

Jon K
10-08-2007, 09:35 AM

I do sort of have some issue with keeping things stock, honestly. Its actually weird you mention that - computer, camera, xbox, etc. hrm. Am I sick?

I would gladly offer PC service if you have some parts you'd like done. This is all powdercoated.

I did PC the UUC oil lid in wrinkle black also to whomever asked:

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/E34%20525i%20Photos/wrinkleblack.jpg

Dave,

the silver should definitely be prominent in the engine bay - its so reflective i think it'll stand out NICE. The head is done too. All my charge pipes are wrinkle black and my turbo/downpipe are ceramic coated wrinkle black with a silver compressor side. I was too concerned that ALL the silver would make for horrible contrast. So, this should wrap it all together very nicely!

Jon K
10-08-2007, 09:36 AM
Also, if anyone has a bosch alternator housing I would love to get my hands on it!

Antrieb
10-08-2007, 03:20 PM
I think......

You should spend less time painting parts and more time going to the Dyno to see what this beast can do! When is the new engine ready?

nirvana19
10-08-2007, 07:17 PM
I do sort of have some issue with keeping things stock, honestly. Its actually weird you mention that - computer, camera, xbox, etc. hrm. Am I sick?

My xbox (old school version) has an upgraded hard drive, soldered/wired/hacked in wireless networking, firewire ports and runs xbox linux... and its only use is by my dad for his daily game of madden. My home network consists of FIVE wireless routers (average sized three story home) I'm building a computer for my brother just for kicks that'll end up looking a lot like yours. When I was younger I had those nitro powered remote controlled cars.. heavily souped up of course (2 whole horsepower out of a 2.5cc engine, 0-60 <4 seconds) heh. When I was 11 I took a lawnmower engine apart and "souped it up".. I even have a custom paint job on my lcd monitor. I'm always building something. Somehow it hasn't carried over to my car, probably because I don't have the money yet and can't afford to play around with my car too much seeing as I need it to drive daily. But eventually...

What did you manage do to your camera?

Jon K
10-08-2007, 09:13 PM
Flashed firmware on the camera to a modified russian firmware that enables a ton of other features, replaced capacitors in my external flash to allow for quicker flash discharge between shots...

wjbell
10-08-2007, 09:43 PM

I would gladly offer PC service if you have some parts you'd like done. This is all powdercoated.

I did PC the UUC oil lid in wrinkle black also to whomever asked:

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/E34%20525i%20Photos/wrinkleblack.jpg

Dave,

the silver should definitely be prominent in the engine bay - its so reflective i think it'll stand out NICE. The head is done too. All my charge pipes are wrinkle black and my turbo/downpipe are ceramic coated wrinkle black with a silver compressor side. I was too concerned that ALL the silver would make for horrible contrast. So, this should wrap it all together very nicely!

OK, Jon, the black looks awesome. But your still have that hideous oil line running up through the manifold. Come on, man, clean it up :)

Jon K
10-08-2007, 09:49 PM
OK, Jon, the black looks awesome. But your still have that hideous oil line running up through the manifold. Come on, man, clean it up :)

Hehe the new turbo will drape itself across the motor you won't even notice theres a motor under it

wjbell
10-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Hehe the new turbo will drape itself across the motor you won't even notice theres a motor under it

There ya go...

...but the black wrinkle finish does look a LOT better than the gold, IMHO.

Jon K
10-08-2007, 10:03 PM
There ya go...

...but the black wrinkle finish does look a LOT better than the gold, IMHO.

Yeah the gold was just a little trial I did. I now have 3 powder coated valve covers. If any non vanos guys want a cover coated in any color let me know.

Sam-Son
10-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Yeah the gold was just a little trial I did. I now have 3 powder coated valve covers. If any non vanos guys want a cover coated in any color let me know.
a non vanos won't work on a 95 vanos car so..What would I do take it off ship it to you get it PC'd then get it back and put it back on?

Jon K
10-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Yeah - hopefully throw some cash in there because the valve cover is the hardest thing to bead blast.

It will have to wait a few weeks though - I have a very busy schedule. This weekend is welding exhaust friday for englishtown on saturday and trenton nj meet on sunday. :(

Sam-Son
10-08-2007, 10:10 PM
Yeah - hopefully throw some cash in there because the valve cover is the hardest thing to bead blast.

It will have to wait a few weeks though - I have a very busy schedule. This weekend is welding exhaust friday for englishtown on saturday and trenton nj meet on sunday. :(
Obviously compensation would be in order...and I'd only ship it to you when you have enough free time. but I just have to see about being carless for a period of time....maybe I can get another one..uh valve cover not car:p

Jon K
10-08-2007, 10:16 PM
Obviously compensation would be in order...and I'd only ship it to you when you have enough free time. but I just have to see about being carless for a period of time....maybe I can get another one..uh valve cover not car:p

I hear you - works for me let me know if you find one/remove it and i can have it done. get it to me on a friday i can have it done in 1 day and back out monday

Sam-Son
10-08-2007, 10:20 PM
I hear you - works for me let me know if you find one/remove it and i can have it done. get it to me on a friday i can have it done in 1 day and back out monday
Sweet. I'll let you know

Ross
10-09-2007, 08:12 AM
Looks good Jon. How about milling off all the unnecessary stuff on the cover?

Jon K
10-09-2007, 09:34 AM
Looks good Jon. How about milling off all the unnecessary stuff on the cover?

Thought about it - maybe I will try one that I am not using. Only issue with it is the casting is such crap that there are air pockets in it! There are areas that have nasty cavities. I don't think this is aluminum actually - i think it's some other alloy. I dropped my oil filter housing into our hot tank and it had murky grey bubbles pouring from it reacting to the chemical. I put the valve cover in... nothing.