PDA

View Full Version : Why don't 08 BMWs.. start?

nirvana19
10-07-2007, 10:07 AM
WHATS the deal with the new 08 bmws with the 3.5 twin turbo (actually 3.0 twin turbo). I know of three cars, a 335i sedan, 335i couple, and 535i sedan all of which have been nothing but problems, and are no more than a couple months old. A couple days ago a friends 335 6sp sedan had to go into the dealer because of a bunch of random errors including trunk open, oil pressure, ambient temperature (?!?!?!). Yesterday the neighbors black 535i had to be towed because it was immobilizing itself and it wouldn't start. Previously its been in for a transmission problem and idrive going berserk the first week. Now the 335 COUPE (there are all 6-speed) had the transmission/clutch replaced! No explanation, I know my friend (its a she) is a good driver and didn't trash the thing, it was evidently just a bad tranny. I believe it also had a couple electrical gremlins. This is insane! I thought BMW was trying to improve its fit and finish? Well, maybe they did as the cars look and feel amazing. But cars this new shouldn't consistently be having SO MANY problems! Okay, i'm done venting, its just upsetting because these cars are so unreliable that I'll never be able to buy one/wouldn't want to have one even if I could

Ferret
10-07-2007, 10:20 AM
My mother bought a late 3 series 318ti about 4 or 5 years ago - and in its first year she had so many problems with it.

It had a new transmission at just 6k miles, as due to an ECU fault it tried to shift into two gears at the same time and just went bang.

It blew a brake lamp within its first week, and had to have an entire new cluster, plus recoding? Wtf?

Reversing radars have never worked properly - really skittish and prone to just making the flatline beeeeeeeeeee... noise that makes you think you're about to reverse into something.

It blew all four of its ignition coils after just six months, and had to have new plugs coils and ECU after that.

After 12 months though it's been pretty solid... we're touching wood though in case something else blows up.

Barney Paull-Edwards
10-07-2007, 02:45 PM
In the defence my old 535d has now done 134k and not a mutter, however our local stealer has employed two extra auto-electricans, makes you wonder.

winfred
10-07-2007, 08:42 PM
too many computers between your intention to start the car and the car actually starting

Derek A.
10-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Was at the indy last week. Got on the subject of M motors. Tells me a dealer story, brand new M5. 3000 miles - grenades its engine. Blew rods right out the bottom of the block.

winfred
10-07-2007, 09:25 PM
sort of like the first e46 m3s

Zeuk in Oz
10-08-2007, 12:14 AM
WHATS the deal with the new 08 bmws
Don't mean to nitpick, but how can you have a BMW made in 08 when we are still only in October 2007 ?

clhorton
10-08-2007, 01:37 AM
Model years are always ahead.

Don't mean to nitpick, but how can you have a BMW made in 08 when we are still only in October 2007 ?

clevertd
10-08-2007, 04:52 AM
E34 535 FTW, we don't need no stinkin turbos!

nirvana19
10-08-2007, 06:50 AM
Model years are always ahead.

I think the coupe might actually be an 07 model, but the other two are definitely 08 for that reason (next year's models introduced midway this year). What I really meant was, brand new BMWs. The other day I also saw a 328i coupe mysteriously wrecked along the side of the road with the front right wheel and fender absent (looked like it had been blown off the car), but no other damage to the vehicle. A long trail of debris from the underside of the car smashing into the ground (so much for 50/50). There was no other car...

winfred
10-08-2007, 07:43 AM
july production and later is generally the next model year

markus
10-08-2007, 04:28 PM
because they are overcomplicated junk. id never buy a brand new BMW. Not only are they hideous but you wont be able to DIY for a very long time.

BMWCCA1
10-08-2007, 11:21 PM
Well, one thing I've learned in 36-years of BMW ownership and twenty years of selling them is you never buy the first year of any BMW model. Never.

That being said, if someone left the front wheel loose on an E90 and it fell off, it would take that fancy new plastic front fender with it in a heartbeat. That's not really the car's fault.

Ross
10-09-2007, 08:10 AM
Plus they are ugly

nirvana19
10-10-2007, 06:47 PM
Well, one thing I've learned in 36-years of BMW ownership and twenty years of selling them is you never buy the first year of any BMW model. Never.

That being said, if someone left the front wheel loose on an E90 and it fell off, it would take that fancy new plastic front fender with it in a heartbeat. That's not really the car's fault.

it was an E92 328i with temporary tags.. brand new. Dealer screw up perhaps? That would be a lawsuit waiting to happen

mikeythekidd
10-12-2007, 10:52 AM
I own a 2006 325i (first e90 model year). The automatic trans light went on and reverse failed in the first 3 weeks! BMW had a new one flown in from Germany and gave me an X3 to drive until it was replaced. I am trying to give BMW the benefit of the doubt, but one only needs to check out any e90 forum to know there are a lot of pissed off people out there. There is no doubt in my mind that the 335i came out a good year before it was ready for market.
BMW has lost its focus trying to be all things to all people. They have diluted the product, tried to do too much and the product has suffered because of it.