PDA

View Full Version : 535im vs. 525ia

Herb
10-07-2007, 12:00 AM
Before everyone starts off with "5spd all the way, slush boxes suck", I have a 5spd for the 525ia in my garage.:)

What I know about the 535im: Rebuilt top end, Bronzit, 190k, no other info at this point (int.,50-60mph shakes,windows...etc.), 208hp/225tq @ 4000/5000rpm respectively, 15/25 city highway. Maintenance: Valve timing every 30k, cap/rotor/wires, other than that I have no idea, I have only owned m/s5x's.

The 525ia: New paint, perfect trans, good motor, chipped, 155k, no electrical gremlins at all, AC is perfect, has the 50-60mph shakes, needs heater core, seats are torn, passes emissions every time, 189hp/181tq @ 4700/5700rpm respectively, 17/27 city highway. Maintenance: Simple stupid. Cam chain.

Admittedly I have little knowledge of the m30 motor, and an s52 is a distant plan for the 525ia. I have not mentioned my suspension because although the 535im has Voxx 17s (meh... not bad, but not my general cup of tea, 5's, T-stars, Mpars.) and will come with a new suspension up-grade kit of no name; I would transfer my HR w/Billies and 740i rims.

Please comment and make points for and against or just in general, all comments welcome.
Thanks Herbert.

Paul in NZ
10-07-2007, 04:27 AM
there is a LOOOOONG thread somewhere about the merits of 525 vs 535..it titled why do american like 535.....or something.The most pertinent number is the torque and the revs pertaining to the torque.The 535 feels much gruntier off the lne and in the mid range3-4 but it is an old engine.Is a 92 the m50 engine?or even better m50 tu?.THe mileage numbers in real life for the 535 prolly isnt as good,IMHO the worst feature of the M30.Went for a drive today in a 2002 530,wish the 535 had that engine with a slick 5 speed!

e34.535i.sport
10-07-2007, 04:52 AM
When i was looking for my e34 i test drove SO MANY cars, unfortunately I found many of them had been seriously neglected (but thats another story), including 525i Autos/535i Manual/540i Autos. All great cars to drive, and the 540i was suicide for me so i decided against that. It as also difficult to find a 540i with an Alusil block within a reasonable distance and i read the V8's are much more temperamental than the straight 6's so that was a factor.

The 525iA is a wonderful drive, comfortable and powerful with reasonable economy ;) . However the 535im is out of this world, a pure powerhouse, and i'm glad i waited for the right one to come along as it truly is my dream car. The feeling is amazing when i drive it, and the sound and looks of it truly does turn heads. The 535i comes with the M-sport body kit which i think makes the car look amazing.

I think your issue is similar to what i had, its a head or heart decision. My head said go for the 525i but my heart said the 535i. In terms of Auto or Manual i'd personally go with the manual due to fuel economy/repair costs/performance, but every man to his own on that one.

Although the 535i wins on power and torque and it feels much much quicker, you know your own car doesn't have any underlying problems and this should be a BIG BIG factor for you. I'm assuming like myself you have spent a lot of time and money on your car and have got to 'know' and 'trust' it. A lot of the time with an old car like this you are buying somebody elsle's problems. Admittedly i've had to do a lot of work to mine but it's really getting there now and in a couple of weeks it'll be pristine (hopefully for some time!).

So overall, its go with your HEAD and stick with the reliable 525i, or go with your HEART and take a chance on the 535i powehouse! Good luck with the deision! :D

t.wak
10-07-2007, 07:24 AM
I imagine the M50 is a hell of a lot better to drive in manual form than auto (like mine is)... Every now and then in sport mode I get a slight feeling what it would be like to hold the gear I want a bit longer than the auto generally allows.

Herb
10-07-2007, 07:32 AM
New info on the 535i; 750il bushings in recently and he has new front end suspension parts that come with the car.

Ferret
10-07-2007, 08:09 AM
See, if the 525i was a manual I'd be going for that hands down every time...

The M50 with an Auto box is an absoloute nightmare imho as the M50 doesnt have enough low down grunt to get away with it. Number of times I misjudged mine and nearly ended up T-boned pulling out of a junction.

If it's a manual It'd win hands down every time because you can either run it in its more efficient low rpm range while just pottering around - or let it get into it's high rpm band...

whiskychaser
10-07-2007, 08:31 AM
The M50 with an Auto box is an absoloute nightmare imho as the M50 doesnt have enough low down grunt to get away with it. Number of times I misjudged mine and nearly ended up T-boned pulling out of a junction.

Dont think any auto box will give you the same 'bite' like dropping the clutch. Very happy with mine. But if I was stuck with a four speed like our friends in the US seem to be with the 525i then I'd have probably ripped it out by now:)

Herb
10-07-2007, 09:04 AM
Agreed about the auto, mine is the 4spd variety. Sucks.

Herb
10-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Here is the scoop; He was the mech. for a clutch job on the car, the car ended up at a friends shop and left for dead with the blown hg. He bought it.
The guy got it with blown hg

topend completely rebuilt alittle over a year ago

clutch pack is about a year 1/2 old

the po had broke the shift linkage which he welded back together as a quick fix (but has a brand new one that will go with the car) - he says that it is OCC. difficult to get into first gear and that it is most likely from the linkage because a quick shift into 2nd then back into 1st solves the problem when it happens.

one of the rear windows sticks occ.

rear cabs done, 750 bushings done, has the rest of the control arms and idler arm to go with the car

The windshield has a vertical crack from either a rock or dropped wiper carrier (I can relate to that, did it on mine )

No ripps in the leather, but does have cracks and is worn in the ususal driverside places.

AC is good, heater is good no coolent smell in the cabin, no coolent loss or overheating since topend work.

Tires have 80-90% tread.

Small dent/ding on the ds front fender.

Water pump and thermostat done at the same time as topend.

Torque
10-07-2007, 09:58 PM
The shift into 1st issue ... before you buy it, have him install the new shifter linkage ... last thing you want is to find out it's not the shifter linkage and the car has a serious tranny problem. Getrags don't come cheap.