PDA

View Full Version : 535i Engine Problems

BIGJO
10-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Hi,

I need some advice on some problems one of my car's is currently experiencing.

It was running pretty decent when I purchased it however was losing power at around 5-6k revs.

It now idles a bit rough & doesn't sound healthy. I only gave it a full service the other day.

Not sure what the problem is?

I'm thinking about changing the ignition rotor arm & distributor cap hoping that it eliminates the problem.

Does this sound about right?

Is there anything else I need to inspect?

Kind regards.

e34.535i.sport
10-06-2007, 12:41 PM
I'm no expert engine-wise but did you change the spark plugs and gap them correctly? That can contribute to a rough idle apparently, and the valve adjustment can make it run like crap which i'm contemplating on doing when i change the valve cover gasket.

HTH.

BIGJO
10-06-2007, 02:17 PM
I did the sparks with the service. I think they're in tight, i'll have to check although it's a bit of a mission getting to them on this 535i.

I'm going to try the dizzy cap & rotor arm, see what the results are. Hopefully it'll sort it.

If not back to square one but with a little less money lol.

Kind regards.

Jeff N.
10-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Auto or manual? Easy check is your throttle position sensor. The TPS trips both the idle circuit and the WOT circuit. You seem to have troubles on both.

Bentley's has the test procedures. Replacement part's about $50 or so.

E34N
10-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Auto or manual? Easy check is your throttle position sensor. The TPS trips both the idle circuit and the WOT circuit. You seem to have troubles on both.

Bentley's has the test procedures. Replacement part's about $50 or so.

+1 on the TPS. I recently saw similar symptoms, adjusted the TPS, and it's all good now.

Next would be checking the plugs again, distributor, and wires.

BIGJO
10-07-2007, 02:48 AM
Hi the car's manual.

Thanks for the info guys.

Let me know if there's anything else.

Kind regards.