PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhh...my tranny (enraged)

BFEINZIMER
10-05-2007, 03:35 PM
Hey

So I thought my tranny problems were fixed with the new computer, but were back to step one. I've been in contact with Kirt (he really knows his stuff, kudos to him!!) but I wanna ask the help of the board again just in case anyone has an outstanding idea. Last night I was able to do some test driving and I've figured out that its just not shifting out of 1st gear in auto mode (or its rare and weird timing) when its acting up. The other half, the car acts fine. I also figured out that it shifts fine in full manual mode. That how I got it home last night, using M mode between 2nd and 3rd gear. So, back to step one, the computer is throwing a SnapOn Code 54....well I have faith Kirt and I and my tranny guy and somehow get to the bottom but hey...any ideas, I'm open!

Brian

whiskychaser
10-05-2007, 04:09 PM
Hey

So I thought my tranny problems were fixed with the new computer, but were back to step one. I've been in contact with Kirt (he really knows his stuff, kudos to him!!) but I wanna ask the help of the board again just in case anyone has an outstanding idea. Last night I was able to do some test driving and I've figured out that its just not shifting out of 1st gear in auto mode (or its rare and weird timing) when its acting up. The other half, the car acts fine. I also figured out that it shifts fine in full manual mode. That how I got it home last night, using M mode between 2nd and 3rd gear. So, back to step one, the computer is throwing a SnapOn Code 54....well I have faith Kirt and I and my tranny guy and somehow get to the bottom but hey...any ideas, I'm open!

Brian
Think code 54 is the lock-up clutch on yours. Sure there is a test for it in Bentleys

BFEINZIMER
10-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Thats not what Kirt told me....? Would this cause the tranny not to shift outta 1st in auto?

whiskychaser
10-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Thats not what Kirt told me....? Would this cause the tranny not to shift outta 1st in auto?
My experience of old auto boxes leads me to believe there are no hard and fast rules. There are just to many 'ifs'. The code list I have says:
M20, M30, M40
DME 1.2, 1.2, 1.3
Code 54= Torque converter lock-up clutch
I know my gearbox but he's the expert.

BFEINZIMER
10-05-2007, 08:09 PM
hmm thats a snap on?

whiskychaser
10-06-2007, 05:21 PM
hmm thats a snap on?
Cant remember where I got the list originally but it can be viewed here:

http://www.europeantransmissions.com/Bulletin/DTC.BMW/bmwcod.pdf