PDA

View Full Version : F&^$ing Car

pgrindstaff
10-05-2007, 12:07 PM
I cant even string together enough 4 letter words to express my anger right now. I was driving home from my dad's office because he needed me to bring him something. So on my way home i get on Highway 41 for those of you who live in Kennesaw. As I was pulling up to the line of traffic sitting at the light I noticed that the revs weren't decreasing as they should while I was braking, so when i got up to the line of trafic and the brakes wouldn't hold me still I shut off my car, put it in park, and turned it back ok. When I turned it back on the engine decided to rev up to about 5k and hold there, so I quickly shut it off, at this point I am freaking out and turn on my hazzards, talk about embarrasing.

So I go through this a few more times and when I shift into D S4 S3 S2 my car wont budge and CC throws a damn trans program at me and I tell my car to go to hell. So then the police show up and help me push my car out of traffic, I had also called my dad at this point and he took a look at it. Once I was out of traffic. Well, we all know how it works, as soon as people start showing up things start working. Well, popped the hood and wtf, theres coolant all over the drivers side, the plastic part of the radiator cracked, s%!t. So I finish up with the police who stop traffic for me while I pull across the street to Advance Auto Parts where my dad and I take a closer look.

I got it setup with the manager to leave my car there untill I figure out what to do, and unfortunately, while taking pictures I accidentally snapped the stupid plastic tubing that is just above the large radiator hose, sonuva. Anyway, here are some crappy cell phone pics. If anyone knows what the number for the hose I am talking about please let me know.

Hopefully the trans isnt royally screwed, but at this point I am not holding my breath. At this point all I can do is suck it up and try to get a radiator from the dealership...why do I have the feeling they have it marked up about 35%? Sorry for the long post and rant, I just want to get this car fixed and sold and cut my losses. Thanks for your help.

http://grindstaffp.googlepages.com/10-05-07_1251.jpg
http://grindstaffp.googlepages.com/10-05-07_1252.jpg
http://grindstaffp.googlepages.com/10-05-07_1253.jpg
http://grindstaffp.googlepages.com/10-05-07_1301.jpg

-Patrick

632 Regal
10-05-2007, 12:56 PM
thats the pisser tube, you can fix it with a piece of hose and a couple clamps. Kinda sounds like your motor mount is toast and the engine moved causing the throttle to stick and pull all the hoses around

pgrindstaff
10-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Would the engine still appear to be sitting level, or at normal height despite a shot motor mount?

thats the pisser tube, you can fix it with a piece of hose and a couple clamps. Kinda sounds like your motor mount is toast and the engine moved causing the throttle to stick and pull all the hoses around

pgrindstaff
10-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Do any of you have experience with, or know anything about REICH(sp?) radiators? The dealer quoted me $735 for a radiator but found another shop that has this brand for $335. Any insight is much appreciated. Also, is the oil cooler external or internal?

Thanks,
-Patrick

dt8068
10-05-2007, 03:00 PM
I have never heard of those radiators, but you can get a Behr radiator from AutohausAZ for about $210 or a nissens for under $200 from the same place. After my rad neck snapped I went with the Nissens for the M60 and It's been holding up fine since. The upper neck on the Nissens is slightly different than the Behr and it might be stronger from what I've heard.

pgrindstaff
10-05-2007, 03:32 PM
I would have rathered a Behr or Nissens but seeing as I can't wait to order either of those the REICH will have to do. After a little (see very very little) research it seems REICH radiators are used in the Z4 and an assortment of other german cars so I am not too worried about it.

As I said, since I am in somewhat of a pinch I found a place called radiator.com that has some great prices on radiators. I ordered mine and am picking it up tomorrow morning for $299.98. This place has shops all over the country I believe and seem to have a pretty knowledgeable staff. I could have gotten an OE radiator but would have had to wait.

I swear, people are gonna have to stop asking me how my car is doing, everytime I say fine or alright crap like this happens. Maybe I should start saying it runs like crap, maybe it'll last longer ;).

Ross
10-05-2007, 05:58 PM
If the mount broke the motor SHOULD fall back to it's proper position. If you get it run at normal pseed apply the brake and throttle at the same time briefly while someone watches the motor. If it flops over to the right the left mount is broken.

markus
10-05-2007, 09:52 PM
$735 ?! **** that. its a DIY job. is that including labor or no?

pgrindstaff
10-05-2007, 10:54 PM
That price is just parts, crazy huh?

$735 ?! **** that. its a DIY job. is that including labor or no?

Alexlind123
10-06-2007, 02:26 PM
Whatever you end up doing, replace your motor mount before they break. Trust me.

Jehu
10-06-2007, 02:35 PM
Euro Depot got mt the Vent Pipe which you broke for about $20.00.
http://www.theeurodepot.com/

Rus
10-06-2007, 03:26 PM
One possible culprit for the high rev issue could be the cruise control cable. I've run into a problem once where after working on the engine I went to start it and it revved up immediately. What I found was that I must have accidentally bumped the cruise control cable and it kept the throttle open. HTH

pgrindstaff
10-06-2007, 03:56 PM
First of all let me say that replacing the radiator is probably one of the easiest things I have had to do thus far. Unhook the lines, pull it out, drop the new one back in. For now the vent pipe is patched together with a piece of hose which is working fine until I can order a new one. While I was there I went ahead and replaced the upper and lower radiator hoses too. I found a local shop that happened to have both hoses for $22.00 each, which I don't think is too bad, especially in a pinch. I ended up stopping by the SAAB dealership and picked up 2 gallons of antifreeze for $26.00, much less than at the BMW dealership who was taking inventory today and wouldn't even talk to me >:|

As for the throttle cable getting stuck: I think you are right in saying that was my problem. My dad doesn't think so but we can't be sure so whatever. After I put my engine cover back on I moved the throttle bracket and did notice the cable hanging, but not everytime I moved it, so I'll have to come up with a fix for that.

I believe the motor mounts are still in good shape. They have actually been looked at a couple of times by different shops and I was told they were ok, as were the transmission mounts. Hopefully I won't have to deal with my motor mounts failing but we'll see, for now I am just going to cross my fingers and hope this car gets me through college without breaking the bank.

Thank you all for you help, advice, and suggestions.

-Patrick