PDA

View Full Version : OT: Has anyone ever built a fireplace?

leicesterboy15
10-05-2007, 06:44 AM
I know its well OT but thought I'd give it a go! We have ripped out our old 1930's fireplace (no gas pipes disturbed!) and are left with a big hole that goes all the way to the floor. What I plan to do is level the base off with concrete and build a face wall with bricks so it essentially becomes a hole in the wall about 1.5 feet above the floor. I was going to fill the gap behind the new bricks with breeze blocks so eventually it becomes a solid surface. While its being built I will feed a gas pipe through the structure so I can get a fire installed later (the pipe will be disconnected both sides initially).

The only problem is I have never built a wall before so wanted some tips on what mix to use for the mortar for the base, bricks and breeze blocks. Are there any special considerations for the mortar due to the heat such as using this type of stuff:

http://www.thecastironfireplacecompany.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?CatId=80&Id=523

I will get the whole thing plastered up professionally which will be the outer layer so if the plaster is going over the top does the mortar for the underlying structure make any difference? Any other tips before I embark? Thanks!

Ferret
10-05-2007, 07:41 AM
You have to be careful with mortar, but only usually when exposed to direct heat... An enclosed gas fire vents warm air up the flue, but an open gas fire will heat up the mortar directly above it.

Ever throw stones into a bbq as a kid, then nearly get your head blown off when they exploded?

Kinda the same **** really.

whiskychaser
10-05-2007, 07:54 AM
Have actually done this. I didnt use special mortar but it makes sense if you want to. If the old fireplace didnt support the chimney breast then just brick up the hole. It will be covered with plaster and I bet the old brickwork isnt too pretty anyway. Put a vent in the middle to stop condensation and cap the chimney. If you are going to install a fire later, dont brick up the back just yet- you need to install a flue liner that goes inside your old chimney.
(For f. sake cover everything as that soot gets everywhere!) You will also need to ensure you have an air brick somewhere-your new fire wont gas you but it could burn all the oxygen in the room and suffocate you. Hope that helps:)

Tiger
10-05-2007, 08:09 AM
If I understand you correctly, you ripped out the "entire" chimney that is originally inside the house... not the one that is on the outside of your house. Most old houses have entire chimney inside the house.

If so, then why not just build up the wall with 2x4 and blue board sheetrock? As for the floor, rebuild it with joist, plywood and hardwood floor to match? It is so much easier and there is another reason to this.

Most new gas fireplace don't require any special surround as they already have a firebox built in and it is framed up with regular 2x4 and sheetrock or some concrete board... then the best one to get is the direct vent where there is two pipes in one... one for exhaust and one for fresh air intake.

No matter which fireplace you get, you are going to have to modify that structure again.

E34-520iSE
10-05-2007, 08:48 AM
Have actually done this. I didnt use special mortar but it makes sense if you want to. If the old fireplace didnt support the chimney breast then just brick up the hole. It will be covered with plaster and I bet the old brickwork isnt too pretty anyway. Put a vent in the middle to stop condensation and cap the chimney. If you are going to install a fire later, dont brick up the back just yet- you need to install a flue liner that goes inside your old chimney.
(For f. sake cover everything as that soot gets everywhere!) You will also need to ensure you have an air brick somewhere-your new fire wont gas you but it could burn all the oxygen in the room and suffocate you. Hope that helps:)

Yep I've done it too, it's just how Whiskychaser says, standard mortar mix will be fine. If you are plastering over the new brickwork then just check it's all plumb. Nowt to worry about. Check out the ventilation requirements for the new fire before you start on any demo or brick work, just in case you need to do something a bit special. If in doubt, check it with the gas man who'll connect the new fire up.

HTH,

Shaun M

whiskychaser
10-05-2007, 10:37 AM
If I understand you correctly, you ripped out the "entire" chimney that is originally inside the house... not the one that is on the outside of your house. Most old houses have entire chimney inside the house.

If so, then why not just build up the wall with 2x4 and blue board sheetrock? As for the floor, rebuild it with joist, plywood and hardwood floor to match? It is so much easier and there is another reason to this.

He is talking about removing something like these:
http://www.britainsheritage.co.uk/1930-art-deco-fireplaces.htm
And if they are anything like them they may be worth a bob or two:)

leicesterboy15
10-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Just to clarify, the chimney breast is still there, the concrete fireplace was built into this, it has come out with no chimney damage, just a bit of superficial plaster. There is also a concrete beam supporting the hole so none of my structure will be load bearing.

We don't know what fire we are going to put in yet but my missus going on about the mess so I have to do something otherwise I'll never get any peace! We went to the fireplace shop and it seemed to me they were charging a lot for what is essentially a simple job, a builder could do it with his eyes closed!

The chimney will need to stay open as a fire will be installed eventually (when we agree on one we both like), I will get it cleaned and cleared if required beforehand. So I need to line the sides and back of the hole with a flue liner or do I need to do the chimney all the way up? Can you buy flue liner paint or does this not exist? I will not be bricking the back or sides of the hole, the current chimney bricks are in good nik in this area it will just be plastered so does the flue liner go under the plaster? The top of the hole will need to be left open as a fire will go in at some point.

Where would you recommend I put the vent brick(s)? On the base of my new platform (where the fire will sit) or in the new 'wall' facing the room? I may have to make some minor changes based on which fire we pick but I am willing to accept that, I just wouldn't want to have to rip the whole thing out and start again! Thanks for all your help guys, a wealth of knowledge and not just for cars!

leicesterboy15
10-05-2007, 11:01 AM
He is talking about removing something like these:
http://www.britainsheritage.co.uk/19...fireplaces.htm
And if they are anything like them they may be worth a bob or two

Yes exactly, it was similar to the art deco type ones, maybe was worth a few quid before it came out in a thousand pieces! Looking back the tiles may have been worth something but they were just set in concrete, it wasn't like a complete separate removable thing. No matter, I have 3 more so I will be a bit more careful with those!

whiskychaser
10-05-2007, 11:30 AM
A flue liner is basically a long flexible metal tube that goes from the back of your fire up out of the top of the chimney:

http://www.fluesystems.com/liners/info/chimney_liner_regulations.htm

The air brick can be anywhere you like as long as its in the same room as the fire. You may have one already-its just a vent that lets in air from the outside. Sure she would appreciate it if you didnt go knocking any more holes in walls than absolutely necessary:)

Edit: I may be out of date so as suggested check with the fire people-you might get a fire with a special 'balanced flue' liner so you dont need an airbrick. I doubt you can get away without a liner altogether though

Barney Paull-Edwards
10-05-2007, 11:43 AM
Flue pipes are bloody expensive! Look for a "catylitic-siq" gas fire that requires no flue, will save you money. Alternatively try an electric one, not as expensive to run as you would think.

fin
10-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Am I reading into this that you are replacing a fireplace with a gas insert?

Or are you looking to improve your fireplace?

As the guy that first utilized (sorry, utilised) the venturi effect, which is so important for carburators, you may look at Rumford style fireplaces.

http://www.rumford.com/components.html

If you just want something that looks like fire that uses a remote control, I'd recommend that you build-in a Flat Panel TV and find DVD of fire burning. Nearly zero maintenance and zero air leak or conflagration problems. When I lived in Florida, the house had a fireplace, we put the tube in the hearth as that was the focal point of the room and the odds of damage during a party was minimized.

Sorry, but I have a beef with Faux Fire.

If you plan to ever sell the house, you might save your old mantle for the next owner in case they see things differently than you.

Whatever you do, make something that you will use and enjoy. If it's Faux Fire, that's fine.

Cheers,

Fin

leicesterboy15
10-05-2007, 04:49 PM
I am after something like the last one on this page:

http://www.cvo.co.uk/products/ribbon.htm

Planning on having it real gas but plans can change. I don't want the stone surround unless I have to. I just want a real minimalist hole in the wall with a gas strip (ribbon) that basically looks like its coming out of the base. Maybe add some lights in there as well. I will spend a bit on it as its a focal point but I haven't got silly money so if that is tooo expensive we will probably have to settle for a basket type gas fire sitting in the same minimalist hole in the wall.

What do people think? It is really hard finding unique fires, wherever you go they are either the same or variations on the same theme...unless you've got 10k to spend! Its the same with front doors, I'm looking for a new one and no matter where I look they all seem to be the same or very similar. As I drive round I see some very nice ones but I can never find a place that sells them.

whiskychaser
10-05-2007, 05:25 PM
[QUOTE=leicesterboy15]
What do people think? It is really hard finding unique fires, wherever you go they are either the same or variations on the same theme...unless you've got 10k to spend! QUOTE]
Used to be in the business of delivering them to homes for the top 3 manufacturers in the UK. Yes they are all similar cos fires are like a fashion item. You and me maybe expect them to last a lifetime but 'er indoors doesnt. Whatever you pick get them to take it out of the box in the shop. Then ask yourself - is this the quality of kit I would want in my car?

Tiger
10-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Don't put in a flue-less type... the whole room will stink of burnt fuel. I know what you are talking about for fireplace stuff... damn! $1000 for glass fireplace doors?! $600 for blower to bring heat into the room? Another $100 for a small stupid trim to match the fireplace door? It is a good thing I am a member of a shopping club... Saved about $600.

Paul in NZ
10-05-2007, 08:49 PM
be carefeul with the ventilation,some modern fireplaces require that combustion air actually comes from outside the house.You need to talk some experts here...