PDA

View Full Version : Air con problems

Rory535i
10-05-2007, 12:45 AM
I did a search but can't find what i'm looking for.

I need to replace my expansion valve for the air conditioning. i see that a few people here have done this and was wondering if anyone could tell me where under the dash it is located and what has to be removed to get to it?

also my compressor has kicked the bucket and apparently needs new seals. can you buy a reconditioning kit anywhere for them or is it a matter of just taking it apart, removing the seals and taking them to a seal shop to match them up?

thanks for any help

shogun
10-05-2007, 01:24 AM
Pic here
http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/ihka/ihka.html

Rory535i
10-05-2007, 01:30 AM
that's awesome. thanks very much shogun

dennyg
10-05-2007, 11:16 AM

I need to replace my expansion valve for the air conditioning. i see that a few people here have done this and was wondering if anyone could tell me where under the dash it is located and what has to be removed to get to it?

also my compressor has kicked the bucket and apparently needs new seals. can you buy a reconditioning kit anywhere for them or is it a matter of just taking it apart, removing the seals and taking them to a seal shop to match them up?

thanks for any help
I have a good used compressor but my guess you are over the pond and not in north america?

Rory535i
10-05-2007, 08:30 PM
I have a good used compressor but my guess you are over the pond and not in north america?

i'm in australia. shipping would be a killer i imagine?

myles
10-05-2007, 09:40 PM
I had the same problem with mine last year. I saw sterling auto electrics at albion. they rebuilt my compressor and I did the fitting.

Rory535i
10-05-2007, 10:37 PM
how much did they charge myles? german wrecking want $600 for a recon exchange. i can rebuild it myself but i don't know if the seals etc. are over the counter items. i might just strip it down anyway and see if i can find replacements.

rob101
10-06-2007, 02:04 AM
how much did they charge myles? german wrecking want $600 for a recon exchange. i can rebuild it myself but i don't know if the seals etc. are over the counter items. i might just strip it down anyway and see if i can find replacements.
I like german wrecking they're good blokes from my dealings but.
http://www.bmaparts.com/item.wws?mfr=AIR%20PRODUCTS&sku=BMW032982&price=316.76&orpartno=1106487&cookieID=1PP0E77FY27407CRWT&drillid=9&image=
btw i've shipped a whole exhaust from the US with DHL one half was 27 lbs that came to $ USD 115 door to door in brisbane. from BMAparts. worth a thought mate.

Rory535i
10-06-2007, 03:49 AM
yeah they are a nice crowd but their prices are bloody steep. they quoted me $800 for a bare secondhand bootlid!

i'm in the process of getting some prices off patrick at bma

whiskychaser
10-06-2007, 05:27 PM

thanks for any help
Dont know which compressor you have but if its a Denso like mine you might find this interesting:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/911_Nippondenso_rebuild/911_Nippondenso_rebuild.htm

shogun
10-06-2007, 05:42 PM
DHL will be too expensive. I usually use USPS Global Express Mail when I order parts from Autohaus Arizona for shipment to Japan.
Much cheaper, but takes a few days longer than DHL or FedEx.
In general it arrives at my home after 8-10 days, depending how fast the customs clearance is. But that is quickly done here in Japan and I do not have any additional paper work with customs, the postman gets the duty and VAT at delivery at my home and that's it.
Check the rates to your country online
www.usps.com

myles
10-06-2007, 06:06 PM
It was $600 from sterling, but that included the re-gas and a warranty.

rob101
10-06-2007, 07:24 PM
DHL will be too expensive. I usually use USPS Global Express Mail when I order parts from Autohaus Arizona for shipment to Japan.
Much cheaper, but takes a few days longer than DHL or FedEx.
In general it arrives at my home after 8-10 days, depending how fast the customs clearance is. But that is quickly done here in Japan and I do not have any additional paper work with customs, the postman gets the duty and VAT at delivery at my home and that's it.
Check the rates to your country online
www.usps.com
I am not so sure from my own experience that USPS will ship something that heavy to aust. I doubt it'll be much cheaper at all for something that heavy. Patrick will know anyway

Rory535i
10-06-2007, 07:37 PM
nah screw all that. i'll rip it apart and find new seals myself. if all these other guys can do it then so can i

shogun
10-06-2007, 07:43 PM
I am not so sure from my own experience that USPS will ship something that heavy to aust. I doubt it'll be much cheaper at all for something that heavy. Patrick will know anyway

Just checked it, limit is 70 lbs.

myles
10-06-2007, 08:26 PM
I can't remember the make of the compressor on mine but apparently the casting has a habit of warping which leads to the seal failing. It might be worth checking that while you've got it apart.

Rory535i
12-09-2007, 11:52 PM
ok i finally got round to taking the pump out of my car. i had a quick look at taking it apart this evening but ran into problems getting the clutch and pulley off. the compressor housing is in two pieces held together by about ten bolts. i took all the bolts out and it still won't seperate so i'm thinking the pulley has to come off first. it doesn't want to budge though.

has anyone taken one of these apart before? it's a bosch unit

Blitzkrieg Bob
12-10-2007, 02:17 PM
has anyone taken one of these apart before? it's a bosch unit

yup, gotta remove the clucth and pulley assembly, I think there is like 4 or 6 bolts near the center

Rory535i
02-25-2008, 08:00 AM
can anyone tell me if i need to remove the center console to get the expansion valve out? i have some of the interior trim out but i can't seem to access some of the screws i need to get to on the plastic cover

myles
02-25-2008, 11:49 AM
can anyone tell me if i need to remove the center console to get the expansion valve out? i have some of the interior trim out but i can't seem to access some of the screws i need to get to on the plastic cover

Yes you do. RHD cars are a lot more difficult to get to the expansion valve than LHD.

jofusfarr
02-26-2008, 06:04 PM
I know on my 540 you can remove glovebox and get access to expansion valve pretty easily... it looks to be the same here.

Rory535i
02-27-2008, 02:59 AM
I know on my 540 you can remove glovebox and get access to expansion valve pretty easily... it looks to be the same here.

mine's RHD :(