PDA

View Full Version : I think my car has a sense of humour...

e34.535i.sport
10-04-2007, 12:21 PM
When i bought the car it ran amazingly smooth at all speeds, through all rev ranges... A short while after i developed a 50mph shimmy, so i changed the rear sway links and discs and no more 50mph shimmy!!!

Instead it shifted it to a 60mph shimmy! Ok, could be coincidence so i notice the control arms and front sway links need changing so do that as well as front discs/pads. Cured!!! No more shimmy at 60mph.

However, i then had a 50mph shimmy again WTF!!!! By this time i'm getting suspicious. So i check out the thrust bushes and they're stuffed - i change the whole arms (one of the balljoints leaking too)... This simply shifted the shimmy to 30mph strangely?!

I've also tried metal hubcentric rings (which feel much better than the battered plastic ones), with no luck shimmywise. Hence i've come to the conclusion that my car's having a joke at my expense! I'm sure it is having a chuckle at me when i get out, and the central locking makes hehehe sound when i lock it!

I'm going to make sure the wheels are still balanced on saturday see what that does.

Ha ha ha i love my car!

[1990]525
10-04-2007, 01:18 PM
When i bought the car it ran amazingly smooth at all speeds, through all rev ranges... A short while after i developed a 50mph shimmy, so i changed the rear sway links and discs and no more 50mph shimmy!!!

Instead it shifted it to a 60mph shimmy! Ok, could be coincidence so i notice the control arms and front sway links need changing so do that as well as front discs/pads. Cured!!! No more shimmy at 60mph.

However, i then had a 50mph shimmy again WTF!!!! By this time i'm getting suspicious. So i check out the thrust bushes and they're stuffed - i change the whole arms (one of the balljoints leaking too)... This simply shifted the shimmy to 30mph strangely?!

I've also tried metal hubcentric rings (which feel much better than the battered plastic ones), with no luck shimmywise. Hence i've come to the conclusion that my car's having a joke at my expense! I'm sure it is having a chuckle at me when i get out, and the central locking makes hehehe sound when i lock it!

I'm going to make sure the wheels are still balanced on saturday see what that does.

Ha ha ha i love my car!
By shimmy do you mean a frighteningly rough SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE that would make most people lose control of the vehicle?

Torque
10-04-2007, 05:30 PM
maybe try stock wheels?

artguy
10-04-2007, 05:32 PM
...it's just happy to see you!

It's shaking and wiggling all over just like my dog does when I come home. :D

Hence i've come to the conclusion that my car's having a joke at my expense!

I've got the shakes and shimmies right now too with a touch of shot shocks to boot! ...and no money. :(

robert g
10-04-2007, 09:31 PM

Ha ha ha i love my car!
I know someone else that that putt different wheels on their 5 series and same problem. They put M3 wheels looks nice but shakes. I dont know much. Saw the guy eatting at the same place and that is what he discribed. Someone long time also told me butting different whells on a 5 will make it do that. I put 745 wheels ant it rides good. The wheels are made for the 5 series. I hope that helps. Put on your other wheels and see if you get the same shimmy.

e34.535i.sport
10-05-2007, 10:32 AM
Hahaha i wouldn't say violent, just enought to give me a massage in my seat!!!!

Cheers artguy, I got some top suspension mountings ordered for saturday from the stealer and a valve cover gasket but can't do either job until i get the tools a ordered off ebay! Money's tight this end too... DOH!

I bought the car with these big wheels on, and don'te really want to change them until i can get hold of some cheap Throwing Stars in good condition. Those or Schnitzer2's i think are the other ones i like. If anyone out there has a set let me know!!

The funny thing is i had a side to side shimmy now its more of an up and down job! Funky, but i'll live with it for now as i've done enough ghost hunting!!

bsell
10-05-2007, 11:14 AM
Hahaha i wouldn't say violent, just enought to give me a massage in my seat!!!!

Cheers artguy, I got some top suspension mountings ordered for saturday from the stealer and a valve cover gasket but can't do either job until i get the tools a ordered off ebay! Money's tight this end too... DOH!

I bought the car with these big wheels on, and don'te really want to change them until i can get hold of some cheap Throwing Stars in good condition. Those or Schnitzer2's i think are the other ones i like. If anyone out there has a set let me know!!

The funny thing is i had a side to side shimmy now its more of an up and down job! Funky, but i'll live with it for now as i've done enough ghost hunting!!

When you get the wheels spun balanced, check the tread surface for cupping. I did the front suspension parts replacement to include new rings and still had the shakies. The tire guy wants new tires on the car to fix it but I hate to ditch tires with this much tread when the shake is not that bad. I guess I am just a tightwad...:D

Brian

632 Regal
10-05-2007, 01:11 PM
sounds like an out of round tire balance problem or bent wheel.

e34.535i.sport
10-06-2007, 12:33 PM
I had the wheels balanced today and no shimmy - i can't believe it. They can't have been balanced that long ago as the wheels are almost new! I'm not sure if any of the tyres are out of round but he didn't seem to have any problems balancing them, although one took him a few minutes to do?

I'm made up with the results, no shimmy at 30, 50, 60 or 80!!!! I do hate the way they jack the car up on two trolley jacks though. He used the flat parts underneath the car behind where the jacking points are. Seems dodgy to me, i was waiting for it to collapse - i'm really finicky over where i jack up my car. I hope that won't cause any other problems in future.

Anyway, i'm chuffed it worked because it was my last resport before changing the wheels and i wouldn't want to do that really i love 'em to much!!!!!

Cheers guys! :D :D :D