PDA

View Full Version : Front suspension.

Barney Paull-Edwards
10-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Ok, tried most springs in tester and come to the conclusion that Rip-Off is the word.Two makes(well known) were purely cut down standards, one looked as though they has been half cut then snapped. Put six different springs on a home made tester calibrated with a known 2.25 in x300lb spring,nothing came near, either to advertised rate or suitable rate.So nuts to that, am going to make my own.Problem,2.25 in springs and thread tube will not fit over 56mm OD leg. Next plan is to put the leg tube in a CNC lathe and machine a thread down the leg in order to fit then I can make my own set up.2.25 springs in 10" or 12" length are $38 here so can afford to experiment,the question for the experts is: anybody done this before, and is there a better way?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whiskychaser
10-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Dont have the kit so my solution would be something like this:

http://www.kellysearch.co.uk/gb-product-87416.html

Barney Paull-Edwards
10-04-2007, 11:44 AM
Read that thanks but comes back to same problem,nobody make a sensibly priced coilover kit for an E34,springs cheap but coil-over kits use 2.5 springs which are bloody expensive! Cost wise I can get the tubes machined for £35 and the platforms and locks for £28,cheaper than springs for sure!

TC535i
10-04-2007, 11:53 AM
Interesting... I wonder what my eibach ERS springs test at?

Barney Paull-Edwards
10-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Not going to name names BUT, a german spring tested , sold as 25mm lower and "stiffer" was exactly the same wire diameter and coil size, tested out at 178 and 192lbs, put those on the wrong way round(no indication on springs) and the car would handle like a bus.

Sidney Rough-Diamond
10-04-2007, 02:24 PM
A mate uses this place and reports good things www.dfaulknersprings.co.uk/

Barney Paull-Edwards
10-04-2007, 02:50 PM
Thats a fluke, its where my springs have come from for years, also highly recommended.

BigKriss
10-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Could you list the spring rates for us?

Paul in NZ
10-05-2007, 02:17 AM
springs are (relatively)cheap to get wound to any spec you want

Barney Paull-Edwards
10-05-2007, 02:29 AM
I am writing to all the European suppliers this w/e to ask for info. When I have info I will publish results but US suppliers may alter specs I guess. All of the ones I aquired were different rates which is why I posted this to ask if anybody had evolved the best "fast road" rate.

BigKriss
10-05-2007, 03:45 AM
Thanks Barney. I've only seen the h&r sport spring specs recently listed. other data I haven't found before.

I am writing to all the European suppliers this w/e to ask for info. When I have info I will publish results but US suppliers may alter specs I guess. All of the ones I aquired were different rates which is why I posted this to ask if anybody had evolved the best "fast road" rate.

Barney Paull-Edwards
10-05-2007, 06:44 AM
Ho-Hum, interesting, two companies have got back to me, neither knew the standard rates for a 535/5( my standard question as its the same UK/US/Aus/NZ whereas my TDS is not sold in many areas) and one declined to state what actual rate their spring was, no names yet but the final list will be interesting,seems all they are doing is selling 535 springs for a 520,M5 springs for a 535!

632 Regal
10-05-2007, 06:51 AM
exactly, one spring fits all... pop them in a V8 and you feel the drop doctor cause its a good inch lower than the 535 to start, then add in age and settling...

Ho-Hum, interesting, two companies have got back to me, neither knew the standard rates for a 535/5( my standard question as its the same UK/US/Aus/NZ whereas my TDS is not sold in many areas) and one declined to state what actual rate their spring was, no names yet but the final list will be interesting,seems all they are doing is selling 535 springs for a 520,M5 springs for a 535!

BigKriss
10-05-2007, 09:33 AM
yeah but wouldn't the spring manufacturers build different spring rates for the different weights of the vaiours for various models and the softness of the spring for the model also.

exactly, one spring fits all... pop them in a V8 and you feel the drop doctor cause its a good inch lower than the 535 to start, then add in age and settling...

Turbo Ready
10-05-2007, 10:46 AM
I bought and installed a regular lowering kit on an e34 535i, they are not adjustable coilovers.
I installed Eibach springs with Koni SA shocks and the car looks, feels and handles really well.

I hope the owner post pics sometime, long overdue. :)

Here is a link to my thread including the specifications of the springs with the kit numbers.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?p=262201&mode=linear#post262201

Barney Paull-Edwards
10-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Thanks but comes back to same problem,nobody will actually name their spring rate, and nobody owns up to making progressive(dual rate) springs.Interesting thread tho,no matter how hard you look, somebody always finds a new one!

BigKriss
10-05-2007, 12:19 PM
I honestly thought h&r springs are progressive.

Thanks but comes back to same problem,nobody will actually name their spring rate, and nobody owns up to making progressive(dual rate) springs.Interesting thread tho,no matter how hard you look, somebody always finds a new one!

Turbo Ready
10-05-2007, 12:44 PM

I am not sure what you meant by naming the spring rates. I have spoken to both Eibach and H&R in the past and have gotten all the spring rate and height drop info I needed for the specific springs of choice.

The Eibach rear spring I posted in my thread actually is a progressive spring and does have the spring rate.

Will get GC to post the pics he took while I was assembling and installing.

Barney Paull-Edwards
10-05-2007, 04:36 PM
Eibach are the only company so far who have bothered to reply to 12 requests.Standard springs are not progressive in that the rate is constant up to coil-bound,some aftermarket springs are.A hint given by one small quality manufacturer was to look at the ends, they should be tapered to avoid the spring digging into the rubber/pan,Two of my sets look half cut/ snapped off and painted pretty red,Racing Dynamics for one.