PDA

View Full Version : OK, a follow up Q on my semi-mysterious "car self unlocking" dilemma

EricV
10-04-2007, 08:23 AM
First off, thanks to those who provided such valuable input! This place is the best.

Quick recap: '93 525 unlocks itself either immediately, 5 minutes later, or several hours later. In short, I don't know when, precisely, it'll unlock itself automatically, but it does so reliably (like 19 times out of 20.) Maddening.

Here's what I did and my concern/inquiry... I checked the wire loom at the trunk, and sure enough had frayed wires. Patched them and problem remains. Also checked under seat for moisture or fraying- none found.

So I know it's Most likely to be in one of the doors- either a loom there, a microswitch, or any other component of the locking mechanism in each door. I get how the system works.

Q 1: Is there any way to isolate WHICH door it may be so as to avoid having to go through each one? I'd love to lessen the labor intensity, or try to reduce the odds of having to attack all doors. As it is right now, they all lock then un-lock together, of course.

Q 2: Is there any way to simply disable the central locking for now until I have time to attack this? I have reviewed all fuses, and unfortunately each fuse tied to central locking also controls other needed functions. Hell, I even decided to pitch the idea of being able to put down my windows for now, so I pulled that fuse and while it did disable the windows the locks were still powered. :)

Sorry for the long post guys. Again, I appreciate your time and patience! I just want to try and efficiently approach the troubleshooting piece as time is limited for now (working ridiculous hours, parenting, blah, blah, blah... :)

Eric

Ferret
10-04-2007, 08:49 AM
First off, thanks to those who provided such valuable input! This place is the best.

Quick recap: '93 525 unlocks itself either immediately, 5 minutes later, or several hours later. In short, I don't know when, precisely, it'll unlock itself automatically, but it does so reliably (like 19 times out of 20.) Maddening.

Here's what I did and my concern/inquiry... I checked the wire loom at the trunk, and sure enough had frayed wires. Patched them and problem remains. Also checked under seat for moisture or fraying- none found.

So I know it's Most likely to be in one of the doors- either a loom there, a microswitch, or any other component of the locking mechanism in each door. I get how the system works.

Q 1: Is there any way to isolate WHICH door it may be so as to avoid having to go through each one? I'd love to lessen the labor intensity, or try to reduce the odds of having to attack all doors. As it is right now, they all lock then un-lock together, of course.

Q 2: Is there any way to simply disable the central locking for now until I have time to attack this? I have reviewed all fuses, and unfortunately each fuse tied to central locking also controls other needed functions. Hell, I even decided to pitch the idea of being able to put down my windows for now, so I pulled that fuse and while it did disable the windows the locks were still powered. :)

Sorry for the long post guys. Again, I appreciate your time and patience! I just want to try and efficiently approach the troubleshooting piece as time is limited for now (working ridiculous hours, parenting, blah, blah, blah... :)

Eric

Short answer - you can disable the central locking, but your emergency locking proceedure has to work properly first (as in lift handle and yank key right around) the doorlocks are not connected to the mechanical locks for the main part...

Just pull the fuse that's marked central locking and you should be fine, though you might find some other GM functions suddenly stop working...

...also you'll not have any deadlocking set up in that case.

EricV
10-04-2007, 10:50 AM
...as in lift handle and yank key right around) the doorlocks are not connected to the mechanical locks for the main part...

I'm sorry, but I am not clear on how this is done. Do you mean lift the exterior drivers handle and tuyrn the key as far as possible to the right? Also, it seems to contradict in that if the door locks are not connected machanically, then it's all moot. I am sure I missing something, and I appreciate your patience!

I did try to pull a few fuses marked central locking, but none disabled it- same problem, they'd auto-unlock. Bad craziness. :) It did disable the other GM functions, but not the locks.

Barney Paull-Edwards
10-04-2007, 11:48 AM
Not sure where you are but some cars do not have the deadlock/emergency unlock feature, going on past experience I would guess you either have a broken wire or one actuator is duff, trial and error, good luck!