PDA

View Full Version : OT: Have we brits lost the plot?

whiskychaser
10-03-2007, 07:51 AM
Just read that a truck driver in Colwyn Bay was fined £260 for smoking in his cab and throwing the cigarette end out of the window. £75 was the litter offence, the rest was for smoking in his place of work. OK its the new law, I smoke and I drive trucks these days. But WTF? - He was reported by a DOG WARDEN! About 70 miles away two plastic policemen (sorry, community police officers ie not real policemen) stand by and let a six year old boy drown in a pond because they 'havent had the necessary training to deal with serious incidents'. And their chief constable backs them up. I despair:(

spyrot1
10-03-2007, 08:32 AM
what was the name of that George Orwell novel...?

Oh yeah 1984! You guys are living it...

repenttokyo
10-03-2007, 08:36 AM
In Montreal a woman was being beaten by a man this summer in the subway while 2 security guards stood by and watched on security cameras because "their training did not cover such incidents" and it "was a police matter".

Ferret
10-03-2007, 08:55 AM
I think this crackpot country lost the plot a long time ago. I mean seriously >100% tax on fuel? Coppers being told to only go for people who they can get a guarenteed conviction out of?

I have no idea what this country does with the taxes we pay, but christ it's like throwing peanuts at an elephant - and I still dont understand how they can put tax up every year, what happens when we get to 100% income tax?

repenttokyo
10-03-2007, 09:09 AM
what happens when we get to 100% income tax?

you get a second job to pay the taxes on the first job :(

Barney Paull-Edwards
10-03-2007, 09:09 AM
110% income tax thats what! There are a FEW up-sides,we dont have shrub in charge! We can go eat in France for peanuts(they can`t make cars but they sure can cook),lets have some more up-sides PLEASE!

whiskychaser
10-03-2007, 09:11 AM
I still dont understand how they can put tax up every year, what happens when we get to 100% income tax?
Thats one is easy. We appoint a dictator, invade Poland and anywhere else we fancy. Everybody gets a bit cross but a guy called Marshall comes along and gives us lots of dosh to restructure. We even get to make cars again. Maybe even some very good ones

Ross
10-03-2007, 09:18 AM
Pretty silly.
It's always interesting to see what stupid people do when given authority.
The concept of personal responsibility has also managed to escape many Americans. A sad state indeed.

Ferret
10-03-2007, 09:37 AM
Thats one is easy. We appoint a dictator, invade Poland and anywhere else we fancy. Everybody gets a bit cross but a guy called Marshall comes along and gives us lots of dosh to restructure. We even get to make cars again. Maybe even some very good ones

How are we supposed to invade poland when poland has just invaded us? They're in like near total occupation, but damn the one that took the side off the mazda sure skipped the country quick...

Ferret
10-03-2007, 09:40 AM
they can`t make cars but they sure can cook

*cough*205 GTi*cough*

Okay well maybe they cant make cars worth a damn now :D ... but you're right I always remember the food from france - and getting still warm fresh bread for pennies every morning on the campsites.

*drool*

Damnit I'm going to have to find something to eat now...

leicesterboy15
10-03-2007, 09:58 AM
Yes we have lost the plot, I hear it all the time from people like us - the man on the street! Its mental, we complain but we just take it. Revolution anyone?

The only way to get by is to run a hair brained scheme using a government grant, pay yourself a fat wad and drive the 'initiative' into the ground. It will just go down as another failed government project and lets face it one more is going to make no difference.

And how did they sneak this tobacco for over 18's only law?! Don't get me wrong I think its a good idea but I seem to remember this being discussed a few years ago and it causing uproar so it was scrapped. This time it just came in from nowhere!

How are we supposed to invade poland when poland has just invaded us?

LOL! But they do make good builders and are very reasonable! Maybe we should all go there and build a new economy!

Omega
10-03-2007, 10:00 AM
The best thing about England? The number of boats, planes and trains able to take you away from the damn place.......

We have become the most watched nation in history, with cameras everywhere. Also do you Brits know that there is a new law requiring your mobile telephone provider to keep records on all your voice and text usage?

Why and who needs all this information? For what use is it other than to oppress the population? ...Apparently the Burmaese Army are going to hold a protest highlighting the repressive regime of the UK.......

Oh, and 205GTi gets my vote also. I did 168,000 miles in mine and ran it into the ground. Driving it put a smile on my face each and every single day.

e34.535i.sport
10-03-2007, 10:25 AM
Don't get me started on this country - the policing here is a load of b*llocks. all they want to do is fmake money, focusing on the easiest target - the motorist... They failed to mention that whilst poor Rhys Jones was being shot in broad daylight the police here in Liverpool were out all over the city doing their 'checks' on local motorists in the name of 'safety'. It's a disgrace.

Everytime you turn around here they want to fine you, and on top we're being taxed to death. First they tax your wages (+NI) before you even see it, then you pay council tax, then TV license, then VAT on everything you buy, then road tax, then tax on petrol - WTF.

I'm going to find a country where the hard-working average Joe is valued and respected (if there is one), and im there. The only people that get a look-in in country are the unemployed, 15year old single mothers, ethnic minorities and last but not least criminals!!!!!

Thats enough for now i think...

Ferret
10-03-2007, 10:28 AM
Don't get me started on this country

Haha "too late!" screamed the crowd. :D

Seriously as soon as I've completed my Oracle certification I'm out of this shithole of a country to find somewhere cold and snowy to live.

DaveVoorhis
10-03-2007, 10:52 AM
Seriously as soon as I've completed my Oracle certification I'm out of this shithole of a country to find somewhere cold and snowy to live.
Must be a "grass is always greener" thing. I moved to England to get away from a cold and snowy country.

Also, having lived in Canada and the US in addition to England, I have serious doubts there are any non-shithole countries. Everywhere you go, it's the same ****, but a different pile. Or, at best, you get a different kind of ****, but it's still piled high. Humans seem to have a talent for spreading big, fat suck everywhere they go.

Sam-Son
10-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Upsides?
TOP GEAR

Denton
10-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Upsides?
TOP GEAR

:D

Didn't know England was like that. Damn, GOD BLESS AMERICA! :)

E34-520iSE
10-03-2007, 12:11 PM
:D

Didn't know England was like that. Damn, GOD BLESS AMERICA! :)
Yep I hate this place too. England is a gay country, where the kids in inner city grot boxes are allowed to ruin the streets and stab innocent people, and adults get locked up for many years if they give these kids a good old fashioned beating. There has been a big change in this country since about 1992 - I don't think I can stand much more of it - oh and the telly is rubbish too, never watched it for years. So what do we do then? Do we just shut up and put up with it? It seems that decent people are emigrating in their thousands - maybe I should join the queue.

Cheers,

Shaun M

Barney Paull-Edwards
10-03-2007, 03:55 PM
Would the last person out please close the door? Time we copied the french and started tearing up the paving stones and protesting,us normal people are being spied on, taxed to hell,and now they want to make us all drive Prius`s?? I dont think so.

e34.535i.sport
10-03-2007, 04:43 PM
Time we copied the french and started tearing up the paving stones and protesting,us normal people are being spied on, taxed to hell,and now they want to make us all drive Prius`s?? I dont think so.

You're damn right.

Sidney Rough-Diamond
10-03-2007, 04:43 PM
Australia is how the UK should be. Odd that we sent a load of convicts there and they made a better country than what England is now ! And just to add insult, they are gonna kick our arse in the cricket and rugby too.

rob101
10-03-2007, 04:56 PM
Australia is how the UK should be. Odd that we sent a load of convicts there and they made a better country than what England is now ! And just to add insult, they are gonna kick our arse in the cricket and rugby too.
depends, I think we're just playing catch up lol.:D in the stupidity stakes. but we'll get there, we'd never let england win something for lack of effort on our behalf.

Zeuk in Oz
10-03-2007, 05:25 PM
As an Icelandic Swede living in Australia, may I suggest that wherever we go there will be down sides.

The biggest problem with the UK in my opinion, as one who has never lived there but has spent some time holidaying there, is that you have no way for the silent majority to be heard, except perhaps for writing a letter to "The Times".

Fortunately for us, Australia has copied one of America's major intruments for airing dissatisfaction -TALK BACK RADIO.

This much criticised medium is massive in the influence it has on the powers that be. It allows everyday voters to have their say anonymously and politicians listen.

I would suggest that its implimentation would go a long way giving everyone a say. I realise that web blogs are also useful, but you need to have the agrieved speaking to a large audience.

ThoreauHD
10-03-2007, 05:26 PM
If you want your rights respected, you might consider moving to Montana, Wyoming or the Dakota's. Within the US, they are the most American. And America is who originally told England to go F*ck themselves. All the reasons you listed are exactly what they complained about 300 years ago over here. The spying was just with people, not camera's.

I didn't know it was that bad in England. If you don't mind being self-sufficient, try giving Montana a look. You can own a gun, you can shoot people that assault you, you can go to a public place and not be watched by the government. And they abhor taxes at the state level.

I think government becomes tyrannical when it doesn't protect the People, and attempts to take away the People's Rights to do what they wish to themselves- including self-defense. If you don't have authority over your own person, then what exactly is it that you own?

It makes me sad to see England go that way, but what can I say. Either stand up for your Rights, or get used to being made subhuman. And I'm not quite sure what the Plot means. Are there loftier goals in England that I'm not privy to on the other side of the pond. You are a monarchy with nobles in representative positions. I'm not sure a whole lot has changed since we left in the realm of Rights of People. You are still called subjects, yes?

whiskychaser
10-04-2007, 11:06 AM
I think government becomes tyrannical when it doesn't protect the People, and attempts to take away the People's Rights to do what they wish to themselves- including self-defense. If you don't have authority over your own person, then what exactly is it that you own?

It makes me sad to see England go that way, but what can I say. Either stand up for your Rights, or get used to being made subhuman. And I'm not quite sure what the Plot means. Are there loftier goals in England that I'm not privy to on the other side of the pond. You are a monarchy with nobles in representative positions. I'm not sure a whole lot has changed since we left in the realm of Rights of People. You are still called subjects, yes?
Apart from forming a queue, what we are getting really good at in England is complaining. When I was a kid nobody would compain at the butchers or if a meal was bad but they do now. To me thats progress. Where I think we have lost the plot (our way) is in too much political correctness. The monarchy has had no power since Cromwell's days. The Queen is just a well paid rep. and the House of Lords can only refer bills back to the Commons and say 'please think about it again'. One of the best things about Britain is the sense of humour :)

CharlesAFerg
10-04-2007, 11:23 AM
Must be a "grass is always greener" thing. I moved to England to get away from a cold and snowy country.

Also, having lived in Canada and the US in addition to England, I have serious doubts there are any non-shithole countries. Everywhere you go, it's the same ****, but a different pile. Or, at best, you get a different kind of ****, but it's still piled high. Humans seem to have a talent for spreading big, fat suck everywhere they go.

Where did you move from?

repenttokyo
10-04-2007, 11:24 AM
sounds like c c c c c c c c c canada (brrrrrrr)

g7syw
10-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Yep I hate this place too. England is a gay country, where the kids in inner city grot boxes are allowed to ruin the streets and stab innocent people, and adults get locked up for many years if they give these kids a good old fashioned beating.

Heard on the news today that some firemen have been disciplined because they shone torches at a group of gay men having sex in a public place causing them embarrassment. Having sex in a public place is an offence but nothing has been done about that - am I missing sometrhing here??????

leicesterboy15
10-04-2007, 11:57 AM
Here are a couple of examples of what gets people so mad....there doesn't seem to be any common sense in the justice system or anything else even remotely linked to the government...

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/news/default.asp?storyId=16902

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/news/default.asp?storyId=16899

Now how can the same justice system serve both of these punishments?

One thing I can say though is I like the fact that I know where I stand and what the deal is. I can go to a shop that is open all hours and buy milk, bread and cigs - you try that in France or Spain at 10 pm, at best you need to visit 4 shops, at worst all the shops are closed! This is just a silly example really but what I am getting at is no matter how much I love traveling (I do quite a bit) I always enjoy coming back to England's green and pleasant - even if the government are driving it into the ground and theres no opposition to vote for
!

spyrot1
10-04-2007, 12:37 PM
Here are a couple of examples of what gets people so mad....there doesn't seem to be any common sense in the justice system or anything else even remotely linked to the government...

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/news/default.asp?storyId=16902

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/news/default.asp?storyId=16899

Now how can the same justice system serve both of these punishments?

One thing I can say though is I like the fact that I know where I stand and what the deal is. I can go to a shop that is open all hours and buy milk, bread and cigs - you try that in France or Spain at 10 pm, at best you need to visit 4 shops, at worst all the shops are closed! This is just a silly example really but what I am getting at is no matter how much I love traveling (I do quite a bit) I always enjoy coming back to England's green and pleasant - even if the government are driving it into the ground and theres no opposition to vote for
!

What the hell is a "council dog warden"? and how does someone get that type of job?

Does everyone in England work for the government? Maybe that's why you're taxes are so high!

whiskychaser
10-04-2007, 12:59 PM
What the hell is a "council dog warden"? and how does someone get that type of job?

Does everyone in England work for the government? Maybe that's why you're taxes are so high!
No not everybody in England works for the government-it just feels like it. Sorry, its an old joke I know. This link doesnt directly answer what a dog warden does but as its from the town where the truck driver got nicked its relevant. Its supposed to be serious but its the funiest thing I've read in ages:

http://www.oldcolwyneast.co.uk/page21.html

spyrot1
10-04-2007, 01:35 PM
No not everybody in England works for the government-it just feels like it. Sorry, its an old joke I know. This link doesnt directly answer what a dog warden does but as its from the town where the truck driver got nicked its relevant. Its supposed to be serious but its the funiest thing I've read in ages:

So the job is a human pooper scooper? That's too funny... I wonder if you need to take an exam to get that job... I wonder what the questions would be? :p

whiskychaser
10-04-2007, 02:42 PM
Looks like I'm not the only one who thinks this political correctness thing has gone to far:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=485404&in_page_id=1770&in_page_id=1770&expand=true#StartComments

ThoreauHD
10-04-2007, 04:55 PM
The Queen is just a well paid rep. and the House of Lords can only refer bills back to the Commons and say 'please think about it again'. One of the best things about Britain is the sense of humour :)

I wholeheartedly agree. But it's hard to laugh when a government paid to preserve life and property doesn't do either, and instead spends your money spying on you and watching you get your head bashed in on a tv screen. That would really piss me off.

I don't pretend to understand the English.. or your women. All I know is that you deserve better. A people separated by a common language, indeed.

Barney Paull-Edwards
10-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Quasi Autonomous Non Governmental Organisation,quango`s, thats who all the people who want to sup in the government trough work for.And yes a lot of folks work for them, no members of this forum hopefully as we work for a living! Enough of us brits winging, I know we`re good at it but lets not show the colonials HOW good we are at it!

Ferret
10-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Looks like I'm not the only one who thinks this political correctness thing has gone to far:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=485404&in_page_id=1770&in_page_id=1770&expand=true#StartComments

This set me off laughing hysterically in the comments for some reason:

Stop the world I want to get off.

Seriously though I suspect there's mass revolt around the corner at this rate - just like the last fuel protests.

Oh yeah, did you know it became illegal to withold passwords from the police (even if asked without a court order) earlier this week in another little special law they passed quietly?

Witholding an encryption password earns you jail time - furthermore it's illegal to tell anyone that you've been asked to disclose the details...

Means you go to jail for alerting the media when the govt is after stealing your corporate/personal secrets! B*stards!

Barney Paull-Edwards
10-04-2007, 05:28 PM
Andy run that by me? They can take your password for any account without a warrant? Please tell me you`re joking....................

Dave M
10-04-2007, 05:28 PM

Brave woman..........

She recounted that only that evening she had seen a man with a dog in the park, who went as soon as he saw her van.

Ferret
10-05-2007, 12:44 AM
Andy run that by me? They can take your password for any account without a warrant? Please tell me you`re joking....................

Barney I think the new law only applies to encryption passwords/keys, as under the RIP Act they can go straight to any service provider and bypass your passwords anyway. (Though I think they need a court order for that one.) Under the RIP laws, an ISP has to monitor and log all of your electronic communications and keep hold of them for two years (I think) so that the law can investigate anything you've done over time. IE every email you've sent over the last two years is copied so that the govt can see it if requested. Same applies to phone calls and text messages - though they're not allowed to record voice calls, they still keep copies of all your sms/text messages.

Apparently it's a clause that's already been there, but not active, and this week they've just activated it quietly.

This is the article describing what was about to come in last year: http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1000000189,39270276,00.htm

However there's only 1 or 2 sites on the net reporting that they've actually activated it, they've managed to slip it out that quietly... I'm having a hard time finding them again. I'll rummage through the nets today and see if I can find it again.

Paul in NZ
10-05-2007, 02:26 AM
at least E34's are cheap...stop ya whinging you poms....:)

Barney Paull-Edwards
10-05-2007, 02:42 AM
At last a bonus for being here!!!! Having an M5 for £200 is good deal??!!

whiskychaser
10-05-2007, 02:52 AM
)
Witholding an encryption password earns you jail time - furthermore it's illegal to tell anyone that you've been asked to disclose the details...
Means you go to jail for alerting the media when the govt is after stealing your corporate/personal secrets! B*stards!
Think this is aimed more at organised crime/terrorism and what I will euphemistically call men in long macs. My understanding is all our communications have been monitored for years and that certain words trigger an automatic alarm. Suggest we all use the words 'Gordon Brown, bomb and today' in our texts/phone messages and see who gets the knock on the door first:)

Omega
10-05-2007, 03:25 AM
The real proof that we have lost the plot is when an election is called and we vote these w:D nkers back for another 4 years.

You can't change the system through apathy or through writing to the Daily Mail.

Mass revolt anyone? ;)

leicesterboy15
10-05-2007, 03:33 AM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...#StartComments

'Jamaican Forum for Lesbians All-Sexuals and Gays.'

You cannot be serious!?? Oh how I laughed!

Who makes these decisions? Where has the common sense gone? If a gay fireman shone a torch on a man and woman having sex in a bush would he get the same treatment? Somehow I think not. This stuff is soooo ridiculous its laughable! I wonder how much that little ray of sunshine cost the tax payer?!!

Ferret
10-05-2007, 06:01 AM
euphemistically call men in long macs.

Hahahaha...

It might be targeted at a certain group of people, but can be used against anyone by a pissed off copper...

Oh, look more stupidity:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/04/facebook_friend_request_jail-time/

Auto sends a message and he gets jail time? :D hahaha

yaofeng
10-05-2007, 08:09 AM
Just read that a truck driver in Colwyn Bay was fined £260 for smoking in his cab and throwing the cigarette end out of the window. £75 was the litter offence, the rest was for smoking in his place of work. OK its the new law, I smoke and I drive trucks these days. But WTF? - He was reported by a DOG WARDEN! About 70 miles away two plastic policemen (sorry, community police officers ie not real policemen) stand by and let a six year old boy drown in a pond because they 'havent had the necessary training to deal with serious incidents'. And their chief constable backs them up. I despair:(

I had enough of England and London in particular in one week two years ago. Congestion tax, rampant use of CCTV at street corners, parking fees in highway rest stops after two hours. Spending the same amount of British sterling like you do the dismal dollars but not getting nearly the same in return. 17% VAT. Thanks but no thanks.