PDA

View Full Version : Identifying Headlight Brand

pgrindstaff
10-02-2007, 10:53 AM
I have decided that I am about ready to put new headlights in my car since my current ones are pitted and quite ugly. I would prefer the euro smileys but dont want to get a cheap set that wont last. I am looking at this auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-96-BMW-E32-E34-SMILEY-EURO-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHTS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQihZ00 7QQitemZ170119705978QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V) but seeing as that set of lights are so cheap I am wondering if those are made by Depo or some other 3rd party. Obviously the best way to find out in this case is to cantact the seller and ask, which I have, but is there another way to identify them if the brand isnt specified?

Thanks,
-Patrick

Ferret
10-02-2007, 11:06 AM
I have decided that I am about ready to put new headlights in my car since my current ones are pitted and quite ugly. I would prefer the euro smileys but dont want to get a cheap set that wont last. I am looking at this auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-96-BMW-E32-E34-SMILEY-EURO-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHTS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQihZ00 7QQitemZ170119705978QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V) but seeing as that set of lights are so cheap I am wondering if those are made by Depo or some other 3rd party. Obviously the best way to find out in this case is to cantact the seller and ask, which I have, but is there another way to identify them if the brand isnt specified?

Thanks,
-Patrick

Bosch or Hella mark their glass so it cant be ripped off...

These look a bit like clones.

pgrindstaff
10-02-2007, 11:10 AM
Thanks. Seems like just about 95% of the ones you can find aren't OE. Oh well, the search continues.

[1990]525
10-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Thanks. Seems like just about 95% of the ones you can find aren't OE. Oh well, the search continues.
http://abrahamsmotorsport.com/e34.htm

shogun
10-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Abraham Motorsport is importing them from this company in Denmark. Order directly and they are much cheaper
http://www.schmiedmann.com/index2.htm

nirvana19
10-02-2007, 05:37 PM
The originals are great (my neighbors 530 just got new oem headlights, at dealer price i might add..) but I have DEPO headlights installed and you really can't tell the difference. No problems with the quality and included all cables needed including city light socket, except for the bulbs of course.

pgrindstaff
10-02-2007, 06:26 PM
Well I must say, $130-$150 for a full set of lights for a 14 year old car sounds much more reasonable than $400+ for originals. An original set would be great but justifying that kind of expense for a car that will last who knows how long isnt a great idea imo, though others would disagree. If DEPO aren't that bad I may consider a set, they certainly sell for a reasonable price. Thanks for everyones input. BTW Shogun, that site you referenced looks like it has some pretty nice stuff, I'll hold on to that link. Do they ship to the US?

Thanks again

The originals are great (my neighbors 530 just got new oem headlights, at dealer price i might add..) but I have DEPO headlights installed and you really can't tell the difference. No problems with the quality and included all cables needed including city light socket, except for the bulbs of course.

shogun
10-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Do they ship to the US?

They ship to Japan as they have no dealer here.
But in USA they have Abrhams. So I am not sure if they might refuse and just tell you to buy from A.

They have sales offices all over Northern Europe like Sweden, Denmark, Norway and an office in Germany.
Just select the country flag.
Yes, they have some nice stuff, which you cannot get from the dealer, and pretty cheap too.
Have you seen the black Hella Headlights they have on offer?

uscharalph
10-03-2007, 03:41 AM
Definately Hella. I replaced Highs, Lows and Fogs recently thru Bavarian Auto. I t wasn't cheap, but it was well worth it. I wish Abraham Motorsport had the E34 deal back then.

attack eagle
10-03-2007, 03:57 AM
those are clones from redcometm3
You can find good condition complete Originals on ebay with pigtails etc usually for around $200 bucks. I did this and when I got the eventual rock, bought two new lowbeam housing/lens assemblies from BMW Germany via BMWNA and simply swapped the old projectors into them.
Also there are some sellers on bimmerforums e34 group for real hellas (plastic construction) and real bosch (all metal construction) as well.

Denton
10-03-2007, 11:49 AM
I just bought great-condition used Hellas on Bimmerforums for $225 shipped w/connectors.

RobPatt
10-03-2007, 04:57 PM
...there's some sort of kick rear acrylic spray some old timers (on the board..old timers on the board...) have used, spray on their lenses, fills in the pits, puts a nice gloss on the glass.... etc etc which worked well to let the light pass thorugh and result w/increased brightness....

at a loss... name started with an 's'...

search under like spray, headlights, clear, acrylic, etc......

attack eagle
10-03-2007, 06:32 PM
SEM chipguard

Qube
10-03-2007, 07:47 PM
Aftermarket. Brand unknown, but very nice of the seller to provide such detailed pics.

I have a set with halos new if anyone interested.

[1990]525
10-04-2007, 08:53 AM
Aftermarket. Brand unknown, but very nice of the seller to provide such detailed pics.

I have a set with halos new if anyone interested.
Yeah I bought them as I've needed new headlights for a while ( i have two passenger side lowbeams modified with a hacksaw ) :D

RobPatt
10-04-2007, 10:49 AM
thanks for the backup. Cheers.

SEM chipguard

TC535i
10-04-2007, 10:52 AM
I used SEM and got more ripple than I would have liked. We'll see how that translates to light output...

bmwpower
02-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but any more info or results on SEM Chipguard? I'm replacing lights and they're kinda blasted.

632 Regal
02-23-2009, 08:38 PM
works great, need to re-apply again as most of it chipped off.

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but any more info or results on SEM Chipguard? I'm replacing lights and they're kinda blasted.

bmwpower
02-24-2009, 05:00 PM
works great, need to re-apply again as most of it chipped off.

any picts?

632 Regal
02-24-2009, 11:34 PM
any picts?

Of the lights? No, you would laugh anyways. The day after I sprayed them a rock popped up to put a hole in one and I filled it with Hot glue... Cosmetics are not my forte and I have yet to wash the thing since winter started. The difference in clarity in filling the chips is impressive, if I could spray from a can better I would try it on my windshield. :D