PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic coating ftw!

Jon K
09-30-2007, 10:49 PM
I got real tired of the ugly rusty color my turbo turned. I spent today coating some other parts for a friend, and decided to do my turbo housing and down pipe.

Here is a before:

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/525ValveCover/closeupturbo.jpg

And an after:

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/E34%20525i%20Motor%20Build/turbohousing2.jpg

Will look MUCH better and also provide the benefits of lower under hood temps and more heat in the exhaust = faster spool!

Sam-Son
09-30-2007, 10:50 PM
Nice

shogun
09-30-2007, 11:02 PM
Tell us more on how to do, what we need to DIY and where to buy the stuff, on which materials it can be used etc
looks really nice :)

Jon K
10-01-2007, 06:51 AM
Its an involved process to DIY, but it's possible. You need to clean the part thru blasting. I use bead blast, then out gas it by baking it at ~450F for 30 - 45 mins, then aluminum oxide blast, then wash down with acetone, let it dry and spray the ceramic coating with HPLV gun. Then, throw it in the oven at 800F for one hour to cure!

winfred
10-01-2007, 07:51 AM
high pressure low volumn?! or did ya **** up high volumn low pressure?

HPLV gun.

Jon K
10-01-2007, 08:40 AM
hvlp, whoops!

Bin_jammin
10-01-2007, 09:01 AM
Is your manifold ceramic coated too? We did a 240sx swap a few years back that dropped underhood temps like a mother going to a ceramic coating on the stock manifold. Helped spool time too, really made an awesome difference.

Holding all that energy in the exhaust stream rather than radiating it away under the hood... go figure. We were running a header on it before that, with tons of header wrap, and it couldn't even touch the stock mani with a good ceramic on it. Night and day difference.

Tiger
10-01-2007, 09:53 AM
800 degree baking? No cheap oven can bake that high... Seems like Griot's Garage is easier method... they brushed on some compound onto rusty surface and then the engine heat will cure it.

Jon K
10-01-2007, 10:13 AM
800 degree baking? No cheap oven can bake that high... Seems like Griot's Garage is easier method... they brushed on some compound onto rusty surface and then the engine heat will cure it.

That will never last. The turbo will see temps of up to 1600F. You have to prep the surface - bead blasting removes the rust scale, then aluminum oxide blast opens the pores on the metal. The cure temp for a ceramic is traditionally "750 - 850 for an hour" - so, unless you can keep your car running between those temperature for an hour, its just not a good idea. If you do exceed the cure temp during cure the product will fail. You definitely do not want to bake something like this in a "cheap oven" or household oven - the fumes emitted will ruin the oven.

Without al oxide blasting the part, the surface is too smooth for the ceramic to "grip". It will eventually chip/peel.

Tiger
10-01-2007, 10:15 AM
I C... cheap over is never the one in the kitchen... but the one in garage or outside... lol.

NovceGuru
10-01-2007, 11:13 AM
My modified cast grille can easily reach 1000 degrees :D