PDA

View Full Version : NE1 had a link to...

Mr. BILL
09-28-2007, 08:14 AM
Does anyone have a working link to Winfred's "how to" for installing a head on a M50/52 WITHOUT the special tools?

I did a search, but for some reason, I can't display the instructions.

Thanks

Bin_jammin
09-28-2007, 09:01 AM
The special tools meaning the cam locker and crank locker? Crank locker you can make out of a wooden dowel, just use the crank alignment hole on the side of the block, put the crank at TDC and stick the dowel in the hole, if it doesn't fit sand it down until it does, or find a different sized dowel. For the cams, you're going to want to either buy the tool, or make something that fits the same way. You could probably get away with a couple adjustable wrenches welded together, or have a machine shop make you a couple blocks, but really what it does it align the cams and keep them from rocking, money well spent.

Ferret
09-28-2007, 09:02 AM
Does anyone have a working link to Winfred's "how to" for installing a head on a M50/52 WITHOUT the special tools?

I did a search, but for some reason, I can't display the instructions.

Thanks

Is this a vanos engine? cos non-vanos heads are easy to refit?

winfred
09-28-2007, 12:00 PM
ill see if i have it when i get home, every time i think it's gone i find it somewhere still up

winfred
09-28-2007, 06:50 PM
the link i have is crap

Mr. BILL
10-02-2007, 07:44 AM
Thanks ya'll. Yes, it is a single Vanos. It's a '97 528.

Dave M
10-02-2007, 08:33 AM
I've done the job a few times on a non-vanos M50 without any special tools.

No special tools means a straight edge on the square cam ends at the back, with the front lobes (cylinder 1) angled up and toward each other ( / \ ). No need to lock the crank, just don't move it :;. I use two safety pins to lock the secondary chain tensioner and a ground down torx for one of the head bolts above the timing case area.

Can't think of anything else you need.

Dave