PDA

View Full Version : Battery light...

e34.535i.sport
09-27-2007, 03:20 PM
Hey guys. I've been noticing that on occasion the car takes a few seconds longer than normal to start and that the remote locking only works when i'm right next to the car (the battery in the remote's been changed recently!).

Also, the battery light sometimes takes a while to go out, today it took about 15 seconds to fade out. (Car had not been started in 6 days normally run every day).

Does it mean i should change the battery? I don't know when it was last changed, but not since i have owned it (which is only six months...)

What do you think? Oh, and if it is the battery, can i change it myself is it easy?

I hope thats not a stupid question.

Probably is.

Ross
09-27-2007, 03:34 PM
The car's alternator is responsible for charging the battery. No additional charging should be required.
You can charge the battery manually with a charger to see if it takes and holds charge.
I'll gues your alternator is on it's way out. Often replacing just the voltage regulator portion is all that is required, a big saving over the cost of a complete alternator.

e34.535i.sport
09-27-2007, 04:15 PM
I'll gues your alternator is on it's way out. Often replacing just the voltage regulator portion is all that is required, a big saving over the cost of a complete alternator.

Hmmmm, thats worse than i thought. Thanks for the suggestion though, i'll have to look into it see how much we're looking at...

Ferret
09-28-2007, 01:19 AM
Hmmmm, thats worse than i thought. Thanks for the suggestion though, i'll have to look into it see how much we're looking at...

Stick a voltmeter over your battery terminals and see what it says after a few minutes running, should be about 13.5-14.1 volts.

If that shows normal, make a b line for halfords and ask em to do a free battery check. They'll be able to tell you in seconds if the battery's goosed.

e34.535i.sport
09-28-2007, 12:02 PM
Stick a voltmeter over your battery terminals and see what it says after a few minutes running, should be about 13.5-14.1 volts.

If that shows normal, make a b line for halfords and ask em to do a free battery check. They'll be able to tell you in seconds if the battery's goosed.

I don't have a voltmeter so is it ok to just head straight to halfords for a free check... You don;t get anything for free these days so i wonder what the catch is...

*Like the 'free' brake check at national, if they check it and you don't get any work done by them you have to pay for the inspection!!!!!

whiskychaser
09-28-2007, 12:59 PM
I don't have a voltmeter so is it ok to just head straight to halfords for a free check... You don;t get anything for free these days so i wonder what the catch is...

*Like the 'free' brake check at national, if they check it and you don't get any work done by them you have to pay for the inspection!!!!!
Ferret meant a muliti-meter. If you dont know anybody that has one the Halfords check IS free. They will tell you that you need a new battery or alternator etc and you are under no obligation to buy from them. Give them a bell and check it out.

e34.535i.sport
09-28-2007, 01:54 PM
Ooh thanks, will hopefully be able to get that done tomorrow, heading near Halfords to pick up a few other bits anyway...

Cheers guys, i'll report back with Battery info...

bmwrp8
09-29-2007, 11:04 AM
Ooh thanks, will hopefully be able to get that done tomorrow, heading near Halfords to pick up a few other bits anyway...

Cheers guys, i'll report back with Battery info...

you can check the voltage from your OBC

whiskychaser
09-29-2007, 03:07 PM
you can check the voltage from your OBC
Always use a DMM but would be interested to know how if it saves taking the back seat out:)

Ferret
09-30-2007, 10:42 AM
Always use a DMM but would be interested to know how if it saves taking the back seat out:)

:P You should be able to do it from the remote jump start point under the bonnet if fitted.

whiskychaser
09-30-2007, 02:34 PM
:P You should be able to do it from the remote jump start point under the bonnet if fitted.
Good point. To be fair I would want to check the battery terminals, electrolite levels and test for any drain. Still curious about how you get the obc to display voltage. Bet there's a thread somewhere....

pingu
09-30-2007, 03:07 PM
You'll need to do a search for the near-mythical test 9. To enter test mode, you have to push the 10 and 1 buttons (I think - it's hard to picture when you're not in the car) and then push the 1 button until the display says "09", then push the S/R button to select.

These tests are kinda special and by default they're not enabled. To enable the tests, you have to enter some number that I seem to recall depends on the date on which you're doing the enabling.

I think I originally found the info by using Google and the keywords "OBD" "voltage' and "09".

whiskychaser
09-30-2007, 03:13 PM
You'll need to do a search for the near-mythical test 9. To enter test mode, you have to push the 10 and 1 buttons (I think - it's hard to picture when you're not in the car) and then push the 1 button until the display says "09", then push the S/R button to select.

These tests are kinda special and by default they're not enabled. To enable the tests, you have to enter some number that I seem to recall depends on the date on which you're doing the enabling.

I think I originally found the info by using Google and the keywords "OBD" "voltage' and "09".
Thanks. Will give it a go:)

e34.535i.sport
09-30-2007, 04:14 PM
The battery light hasn't done it since, seems to be when i don't drive it for a few days... which is unusual. Will have to get down to halfords to check, curiosity kills the cat.

mamilapon
09-30-2007, 04:36 PM
Pull the regulator assembly out.Replace it with a new one whether it needs it or not 'cause sometime there can be cracks through the carbon brushes. but before putting the new one in place look carefully at the contack area of the armature.. Thin copper strips. Are they clean? If not get a cotton tip or ten and give it a good clean with some electrical cleaning agent. Put the regulator back and you should be good.