PDA

View Full Version : :: Duracool retrofit

Qube
09-26-2007, 10:56 PM
Anyone tried?

http://www.duracool.com/

DanDombrowski
09-27-2007, 10:00 AM
I looked into it when fixing the AC on my Volvo.

The problem is that while you may be able to buy the equipment to top off the refrigerant for any system (R12 style or R134a style fittings), if you have to open the system or its been sitting for too long, you'll need to vac everything out of the system first, then refill. If you can't vac yourself, you'll need to take it to a shop that does. If you take it to a shop, they most likely won't let you use some random refrigerants, or anything that they themselves don't carry.

Now, if you're going to use this in an R12 system, then you may be able to get away with it if you can vac the system or find a shop that will do it. However, if you do any retrofitting (to say, R134 fittings so you can find the equipment easier) you usually void your warranty on AC components by using this stuff.

This is how it was explained to me by the shop that helped me do my R134a retrofit, so I can't vouch for its accuracy. They did, however, allow me to do the retrofit of the reciever drier and all fittings and then filled it for me, so they're not "by the book" dealership people.

DanDombrowski
09-27-2007, 10:01 AM
Oh, and on top of all that, most shops don't like these replacement refrigerants because if they evac your system, it can contaminate all their storage of R134a.

Qube
09-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Mmmm so a last minute throwaway car use only. Thanks for your input!

whiskychaser
09-27-2007, 12:16 PM
Mmmm so a last minute throwaway car use only. Thanks for your input!
Done some research into refrigerants recently as mine is on r12. You will see isceon 49 (r413a) advertised in the UK as a drop in for r12. Its isnt. You need to change the dryer and add some oil. Total cost without evac about £150. Thats about the same as I was quoted for filling with rs24 and a 'conditioner' to stop leaks. The retrofit r134a kit from BMW is £98 plus vat but that excludes the hoses and new valve if you are fitting it. Then you need evac and refill - about £50. Unless you have one of the Bosch compressors that wont run 134a and then you are talking silly money. There are those squirt and go cans but I wouldnt entertain them. So it looks like a pukker conversion to 134a is on the cards for me. While I was looking at this I saw a number of reports that said r134a is on its way out. Something else to cheer us up:(

Tiger
09-27-2007, 01:10 PM
Autozone loand vacuum pump out for free.