PDA

View Full Version : CA E34's

e34m30SF
09-26-2007, 01:51 AM
Just wondering if CA cars are worth more than their snowy-state counterparts because the only road salt we'd ever see is if we took our cars up to snow country.

Do cars last more than 10 years in other states? In CA it's common to see cars averaging 12 years in metro areas and about 10 in the 'burbs.

califblue
09-26-2007, 09:44 AM
I would have to say yes... no rust or salt on the roads and if you keep them waxed and out of the sun. Not bad for 15 year old paint:D

http://www.labusas.org/photopost/data/500/medium/P1013217.JPG

M20Turbo
09-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Just wondering if CA cars are worth more than their snowy-state counterparts because the only road salt we'd ever see is if we took our cars up to snow country.

Do cars last more than 10 years in other states? In CA it's common to see cars averaging 12 years in metro areas and about 10 in the 'burbs.

What about that big body of salt water right next to you, and all the salt in the air floating all around you 24X7? You can wash the salt from the road off. Original owner of a 1986 E30 & 2nd owner 1990 E34 in New Mexico and no rust. I have taken both cars over the years to the ski basin and give them a bath when I get home.

spyrot1
09-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Good question...

My 95 is now 12 years old with 145k miles and no rust at all... and I live in New Jersey.

I guess it depends on how you maintain them.

neil_004
09-26-2007, 02:35 PM
I've got a bit of door corner rust (both front doors) and a some minor cancer on the under body.
My car has been in Cinci for it's entire life driven year round. Only garaged for the past 2 years (and possibly the first 3). It does not get washed all that often in the winter.

If you want a clean no rust car I'd look in AZ or any other dry places that are not near the ocean. I've seen some pictures of cars that have never left cali that are rusted through.

repenttokyo
09-26-2007, 02:36 PM
well, considering my father has in the past few years owned several cars from the 50's and 60's that survived up here in Quebec, the answer is yes, cars last as long as you take care of them. Rust is more of a problem in snowbelt areas though.

To answer your question as to whether your california car is worth more than a comparably aged BMW up here: the answer is no. Your state has 30 million residents. My country only has 30 million residents. There are soooo many more cars in your state that prices are drastically lower than anything we would see here in Canada. Up here, car values stay higher because the market is so much smaller.

artguy
09-26-2007, 02:40 PM
I believe Michigan winters, with salted roads, are more harmful than sea air. Mainly because it’s more concentrated and directly splashed up under doors, fenders, etc. Then as the water evaporates the salt is left to eat away.

But maybe it's a toss up. We only have 3-5 months of salty roads, but there is 12 months of sea air. Who knows?

My car started in Texas and finally end up in Michigan. I have no idea when or where it got its rust spots.

TC535i
09-26-2007, 03:11 PM
What about that big body of salt water right next to you, and all the salt in the air floating all around you 24X7? You can wash the salt from the road off. Original owner of a 1986 E30 & 2nd owner 1990 E34 in New Mexico and no rust. I have taken both cars over the years to the ski basin and give them a bath when I get home.
You gotta live RIGHT next to the beach to have an issue with that, man... trust me, I've seen it here in LA/San Diego.

mikeythekidd
09-26-2007, 05:20 PM
BMWs in CA tend to sell cheaper because there are so many more of them there for sale. I look on craigslist here in Minneapolis as well as San Diego and Bay area almost every day. If I was in the market for another one, I would definatly plan on buying it in CA. As far as rust goes...yes only a factor if the car has lived within 1/2 mile from the ocean. I know. I lived across from Cardiff State Beach for 9 years. They rust from the inside out!

TC535i
09-26-2007, 06:42 PM
BMWs in CA tend to sell cheaper because there are so many more of them there for sale. I look on craigslist here in Minneapolis as well as San Diego and Bay area almost every day. If I was in the market for another one, I would definatly plan on buying it in CA. As far as rust goes...yes only a factor if the car has lived within 1/2 mile from the ocean. I know. I lived across from Cardiff State Beach for 9 years. They rust from the inside out!
hah... try looking at the prices here in Los Angeles if you thought SD/Bay Area was nice!!