PDA

View Full Version : *@#$%^ oil leak

Ross
09-25-2007, 05:35 PM
I started using Mobil 1 two changes and 9k ago in a previously dry leakfree motor.
With my own driveway being a mess a drip here and there goes unnoticed.
My friend's freshly resurfaced driveway is another matter and as he so eloquently put it, "your nazi car made a mess". I haven't bothered to even put my head down to check where it comes from.
So, shall I chalk it up to synth finding the path of least resistance to the earth or just my car's elderly status?
Mineral oil this time as it's due for change. I'm curious to see if the leak abates. I promise to keep all posted.

RX7guy
09-25-2007, 06:03 PM
I also have an oil leak.

Jehu
09-25-2007, 10:20 PM
Mine is leaking at the Lower Timing Chain Cover Gasket on the driver's side. I've been quoted between $2,500 and 4,500 the latter replacing radiator,pully's,belts,hoses, valley pan gasket,intake manifold gasket, water pump,t-stat,all TC Cover gaskets,valve cover gaskets just because,throttle body gasket,8 qts oil, coolant and many,many hours of $100/hr BMW Indy service.... its still leaking...i had it recently changed.I used Royal Purple 10w-30. i added a full quart 23 days later and have since added another so so i lose around two qts/mo very roughly driving it very hard daily.

Jeff N.
09-25-2007, 11:31 PM
Some of the M30 leaks are pretty easy to fix.

BTW - I use mobil 1. No leaks.

I started using Mobil 1 two changes and 9k ago in a previously dry leakfree motor.
With my own driveway being a mess a drip here and there goes unnoticed.
My friend's freshly resurfaced driveway is another matter and as he so eloquently put it, "your nazi car made a mess". I haven't bothered to even put my head down to check where it comes from.
So, shall I chalk it up to synth finding the path of least resistance to the earth or just my car's elderly status?
Mineral oil this time as it's due for change. I'm curious to see if the leak abates. I promise to keep all posted.

Ross
09-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Ha, it's trans oil. I suspect I overfilled at a recent trans oil change.
Changed motor with dino oil. I get a twitch when the first green light of the service indicator goes out and can't resist changing oil. If I'm not going to extend the intervals I'll stick with dino. Old habits die hard.
Synth in the E39 today though as that's all it knows.

Turbo Ready
09-26-2007, 09:26 PM
A buddy of mine has a 5 speed 535i, switched from Dino oil to synthetic and engine began leaking. We inspected it and discovered that the lower timing chain cover gasket and the rear of the oil pan was leaking.

The oil pan gasket had a small tear, we changed both and the engine is now as dry as a chip and he drives the car REALLY hard. I think his car is close to 186,000 miles and still going strong, no leaks.

I think the benefits of using synthetic oil outweighs the task of changing the oil pan and timing chain cover gaskets. We also tightened up the upper timing chain cover as well, it was looking wet even with Dino oil prior to the oil swich.

g7syw
09-27-2007, 02:39 PM
Mine is leaking at the Lower Timing Chain Cover Gasket on the driver's side.

So's mine (RHD), every so often a dribble will find it's way onto the manifiold and thus giving off that lovely burning oil aroma just to let me know it's still leaking...;)

repenttokyo
09-27-2007, 02:56 PM
my philosophy: if it's not leaking, that means it's empty.