PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox oil leak...help before I face a huge bill - along with numerous other issues!

leicesterboy15
09-25-2007, 05:28 PM
I was under the car the other day and noticed a leak in the auto box on my 540i. It seems to be coming from the back somewhere but I can't be sure. I get very slight whining sometimes when coasting (ie foot off the gas as opposed to neutral - its an auto) and when its cold. I never hear anything when I have my foot on the accelerator at any level. Its also slow to engage into reverse, the second or third time its as it should be but the first time it is slow (maybe a 1-2 second delay). Other than that its all fine. I fear that if I keep driving in this state I will end up with a busted gearbox and a huge bill so any tips now would be very useful.

Also it seems I am down on power below 3000 rpm, its not slow but not a quick as I would expect and after 3k it just rockets. Could this be caused by the same problem or is possibly the torque converter?

Does this make any sense to any gearbox minded people? Are these symptoms typical of a particular problem? I have no idea how they work apart from the basics, its just a black box to me.

Thanks, it seems never ending at the moment. My current list is as follows:

1.Suspension arms + bushes replaced, still a judder between 60-70 and Steering wheel now off centre, replacing tie rods this weekend hoepfully and get it tracked.

2. Petrol cap won't stay open (got new hinge, just need to fit)

3. Fuel leak from behind petrol tank (rear axle side).

4. Brake pedal is spongy and brakes seem to be binding, can hear them squeeling when I set off as though they are partly on. They squeel really badly when I hit the brakes. Pads and discs (rotors) still have life in them.

5. Possible binding on rear as well, can hear rubbing. thought it was exhaust (aftermarket) so 're-routed' with the help of a hammer, still rubbing, could still be exhaust or possibly brakes.

6. Oil leak from oil sump, sump is covered in oil at the front, hasn't transferred through to dipstick yet. checked sump with covers off and theres a bolt missing (?) so will need to replace the pan gasket and get a new bolt (are these bolts one use only?)

7. drivers side washer jet blocked (1 of 4) had to be the drivers didn't it?! Can't unblock so will have to dismantle.

8. Spurious Brake, dip beam and lic plate light on computer, only intermittently and only when wet. will disconnet the headlight level motors to see if this makes a difference.

9. coolant leak - needs topping up once about every 3 weeks, new water pump and rad, must be a hose somewhere, seems to end up dripping off the front of the oil pan.

I think thats it, it sounds like a shed but it really isn't. an extra pair of hands and a dedicated weekend is probably all it would take to sort most of this - plus about £300 in parts which is not too bad. Its really not a bad car and still my daily driver, think its just coming to that time in a cars life. once this lot is done hopefully it'll be a couple of years trouble free ( although I'm not holding my breath).

Ross
09-25-2007, 05:47 PM
The only trans leak that is a big deal requiring removal is from the seal at the torque converter or the front pump seal. The rest are external and no biggie.
Reverse delay?....I've heard of it a lot but have never heard a definative answer on why. They seem to go forever like this though.
The other stuff is normal old E34 things. Fix them and enjoy the ride.

e34.535i.sport
09-25-2007, 05:58 PM
Hey sorry to hear your having a bad time, i'm in a similar situation. Coolant hose went a couple of weeks ago and lost all my coolant... replace the hose and fill coolant up... other day another hose went - all coolant gone again + £50 hose. Marvelous. I'm changing them all now so you should probably think about it - if one goes, the rest won't be far behind. Enough about me...

1 Tie rods are a piece of cake with my weapon of choice (scissor type seperator), and when i replaced mine (which were bad) my 60mph shimmy disappeared. Also, i just bought some metal hubrings for mine, they're supposed to be so much better than the plastic ones... give them a try if you need them i can get a set of them off a guy for £5. (£20+ on ebay). Let me know if you want me to source some for you! (Looks like you have non stndard wheels :) Do the track rods and then get the tracking done, that'll straighten the wheel for you.

5. I had a similar issue with the back, check that the handbrake shoes aren't rubbing by turning the starwheel adjuster anticlockwise and turning the wheel. Worked for me! Mine was like a metalic sharpening noise???

7. I had no water coming out for a while, so i took the ends out and submersed them in really hot water for a while and poked a pin through the holes for a while... then re-submersed. If yours is due to the ends being blocked hopfully this will help.

9. As i say i'm doing the lot thursday, tired of being put off the road by something so trivial.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

bigtisas
09-25-2007, 11:44 PM
7. drivers side washer jet blocked (1 of 4) had to be the drivers didn't it?! Can't unblock so will have to dismantle.

Mine were all blocked. I inserted a very thin metal wire to unblock it.

9. coolant leak - needs topping up once about every 3 weeks, new water pump and rad, must be a hose somewhere, seems to end up dripping off the front of the oil pan.

Use UV leak dye to find the leak. It's available at auto part store for about $6 a bottle.

Ferret
09-26-2007, 02:08 AM
Quick check:

Is the oil all over the top of the transmission tunnel?

If so get a piece of clean white bog roll or tissue and wipe a bit of it off the side of the tunnel. If it's pink, it's atf and you need a seal changing. However if you're panicing like I did and then suddenly find it's brown oil, it's more likely you've got an engine oil leak and it's being blasted backwards along the trans tunnel, then splattering the area where the tunnel drops down at the back...

Paul in NZ
09-26-2007, 03:30 AM
re your "shimmy" .As 535i sport says if you have aftermarket wheels it is likely that they have a 74 or so id our cars use a 72.5mm id.It doesnt sound much but its all it takes,a few thou of centre and voila...shimmy

leicesterboy15
09-26-2007, 05:36 AM
Cheers guys for the help! I will check the colour of the gearbox oil, i that might put my mind to rest a bit (or not depending on what I find!). I have been considering doing all the hoses, it just seems like a big job ( could be wrong) but when you look in that engine bay there isn't much room!

Also, i just bought some metal hubrings for mine, they're supposed to be so much better than the plastic ones... give them a try if you need them i can get a set of them off a guy for £5. (£20+ on ebay). Let me know if you want me to source some for you! (Looks like you have non stndard wheels Do the track rods and then get the tracking done, that'll straighten the wheel for you.

Thanks man, I might have to take yo up on that, In the pic I've got the same wheels as you which came with plastic rings, I replaced them with Style 5s and I bought new metal rings (yes at 20 + VAT) to go with them. Since then I've fitted a set of replica M-Pars and used the same metal rings. I am thinking of replacing them though. The wobble has been present will all the wheels which leads me to rule this out as a possible cause. Although the rings seemed to fit the style 5s better than the rep mpars (I could just be imagining this)!

5. I had a similar issue with the back, check that the handbrake shoes aren't rubbing by turning the starwheel adjuster anticlockwise and turning the wheel. Worked for me! Mine was like a metalic sharpening noise???

That is exactly the sound (only from one side), thats why I thought it was the exhaust. I will try this and let you know. Thanks for the tips guys, keep them coming, now I just need the time to carry out all the work!

pingu
09-26-2007, 07:42 AM
I don't think the ATF oil would be pink - the 5HP30 gearbox is supposed to use "lifetime" (i.e. expensive) ATF fluid which, from photos I've seen, looks straw coloured when new.

I think the ATF oil would be pink if it was Dextron (a lot of auto boxes use Dextron) but the 5HP30 gearbox isn't supposed to use that sort of ATF oil.

Please post us if you find the coolant leak - I've got a slow leak too (the warning light comes on every 1,500 miles or so for a top-up) and I can't see where it's coming from.

leicesterboy15
09-26-2007, 08:26 AM
Tie rods are a piece of cake with my weapon of choice (scissor type seperator),

Is this the type you are referring to? I've seen pics of a few different ones but haven't seen any in the shops, my halfords don't have any in stock at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GOOD-QUALITY-SCISSOR-TYPE-BALL-JOINT-SEPARATOR_W0QQitemZ130155260519QQihZ003QQcategoryZ 30917QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Please post us if you find the coolant leak - I've got a slow leak too

If I find it I will definitely post!

e34.535i.sport
09-26-2007, 03:41 PM
Is this the type you are referring to? I've seen pics of a few different ones but haven't seen any in the shops, my halfords don't have any in stock at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GOOD-QUALITY-SCISSOR-TYPE-BALL-JOINT-SEPARATOR_W0QQitemZ130155260519QQihZ003QQcategoryZ 30917QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If I find it I will definitely post!

Thats exactly the tool you need. Tie rods will be pretty easy with that... I was able to get them off turning the bolt with a stubby 3/8" ratchet. (19mm socket).

If you want the Metal rings let me know and i'll pick you some up while he has them... I think he orders them from America?!

I hear you on the time issue, I've been off the road for 5 days now waiting to change the coolant hoses. Then for the RH thrust arm and i only have a stupid noise at the back to sort out and i'm done!!!!

*If you need advice on the handbrake starwheel let me know, its a little tricky until you've done it once.

e34.535i.sport
09-26-2007, 03:42 PM
Thats a good price on Ebay if Halfords don't have any in stock... I'd go for that.

leicesterboy15
09-26-2007, 04:15 PM
Got it on order!

If you could pick me up a set of rings that would be much appreciated! Its very kind of you to offer. I can send money via bank transfer (inc postage and packing of course) or paypal or whatever. We can sort that over PM, thank you again!

e34.535i.sport
09-26-2007, 04:30 PM
Got it on order!

If you could pick me up a set of rings that would be much appreciated! Its very kind of you to offer. I can send money via bank transfer (inc postage and packing of course) or paypal or whatever. We can sort that over PM, thank you again!

I'll go and see him saturday then, PM me with an address and i'll try and send them sat too... Don't worry about the dosh... Kindness makes the world go round.