PDA

View Full Version : rear seat cd changer - what do u think?

timandbim
09-25-2007, 03:10 PM
i just did a ski-hole cd changer install (jvc changer controlled by cassette-deck HU) and it's pretty cool, but i kind of need even the small amount of trunk space that it takes up. also it's pretty vulnerable there and i don't want to take up more space building even a small wall around it. i'm thinking about putting it under the rear seat instead and cutting a small access hole in the front of the rear seat support and carpet. being able to reach it from the driver's seat would be a bonus - i would just need a small opening to pull the cartridge out, i'm not sure what i'd use for trim or a door... i'm kind of hoping for an inspired visit to home depot or something.
anyway, what do you think? bad idea? has anyone put a hole there for anything? i sure would appreciate suggestions or a photo if you did as i'm kind of playing this by ear and i'd rather it not end up eyesore-ish.

spyrot1
09-25-2007, 03:24 PM
Who even bothers with CD changers anymore? Just get an iPod or Zune and connect it to your head unit.

Play thousands of songs instead of dozens...

Dave M
09-25-2007, 04:00 PM
Have a look at my old thread (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=12976&highlight=rear+arm+rest). It may be of some help if you're looking to retain space and accessibility

Heres a preview
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/cd_mount_1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/cd_mount_2.jpg

Dave M

Ross
09-25-2007, 04:48 PM
Very slick. Are there any problems with it skipping?

leicesterboy15
09-25-2007, 04:58 PM
Isn't there a metal beam that runs below the front of the rear seat base and doesn't this make up part of the chassis? From what I have seen it seems like a structural part of the car and I personally would avoid cutting holes in it unless it was just a drill hole.

How about under the passenger seat? I've got my dvd player under there. Yoiu loose the first aid kit but mine was missing when I bought the car anyway.

Dave M
09-25-2007, 07:02 PM
Very slick. Are there any problems with it skipping?

Nope, plays happily both up and down. I'm still surprised how well it tolerates the upright position.

Dave

timandbim
09-25-2007, 08:30 PM
yes... the beam is at the bottom of the space/seat support/youknow, the thing. i was wondering about that. - i only need a hole big enough for the cartridge plus a half inch for my fingertips, though - the upper part seems made just to fit the seat and i would think would stay pretty solid.

i think i might have prematurely dismissed putting it under the passenger seat... that is the best option if it fits, i thought there was no way but i will definitely measure it tomorrow... duhhh ... thanks!

timandbim
09-25-2007, 08:31 PM
very cool... mine won't play on its side tho :(.

timandbim
09-25-2007, 08:45 PM
yeah... ipods are cool. although i find the recording levels and quality to be really inconsistent in files that i have 'shared'. i'll set one song to a good volume then the next comes in and blows my ears to pieces.
with the cd changer attached to (and controlled by) my cassette head i now have the choice of -any of 12 cds, -classic analog tape hiss, long may it reign, and -the 'aux in' i had previously wired into the head ($10atthelocalshop). had to stay analog... how else could i listen to my iron maiden tapes?

attack eagle
09-25-2007, 11:22 PM
Dunno what the exact dimensions are for your changer, but I put mine in the glovebox.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b106/AttackEagle/bimmer/100_1040.jpg

Torque
09-26-2007, 03:35 AM
Dunno what the exact dimensions are for your changer, but I put mine in the glovebox.

I hope your next post isn't titled "glovebox fell off, how do I fix it" lol :D

attack eagle
09-26-2007, 10:24 AM
Actually it's been there for the better part of a year. Doesn't weigh more than the 100 CD case that was in there before.

Torque
09-26-2007, 10:35 AM
I'm scared my 3 CDs with no case are gonna make it fall off. I just don't trust BMW with gloveboxes. lol