PDA

View Full Version : OBC in and works, now how do I swap the indicator stalk???

Dan in NZ
05-14-2004, 06:11 PM
I tried to get the trim panel off the underside of the steering column, but it seemed firmly attached closest to the steering wheel. Do I have to go through the trouble of taking off the steering wheel? I'm assuming that when I get that trim off, the indicator will just unplug.

Dan in NZ
05-14-2004, 11:03 PM
Anyone??? Winfred??? Help, I want to do this today, but can't get the trim off the steering column!

winfred
05-14-2004, 11:15 PM
i am trying to remember if you gotta pull the wheel to remove the shroud, i think you do, some you do some you don't, the switch just unclips from it's mount. i do so many different cars they start to run together till i look at one, if you pull the bag disconnect the battery and wait about a half hour to avoid a bag light, and the bitching from the board if you ask "how do i turn off the srs light", if you search bill r has a write up on removing the wheel

Dan in NZ
05-14-2004, 11:24 PM
Thanks Winfred,
I don't have an airbag, so I'll just get the wheel off. Just seems like the shroud is attached behind the wheel somehow, i'm guessing there's a screw undder there. I was hoping I wouldn't have to take the wheel off, as I'll be worring for the next month that I didn't put it back on right...

The new indicator I have has two harness connections, a relay, and a ground wire, so I'm just hoping like hell it will go straight in there.

winfred
05-14-2004, 11:31 PM
after you remove the 22mm nut take a punch and mark the shaft and wheel before you pull it off so you can stick it back on the right spline, you gotta unlock the steering to remove the wheel, the lock engauges a ring on the wheel

Dan in NZ
05-15-2004, 12:25 AM
Thanks again,
I don't have a 22mm socket, so I guess it will have to wait till I get to my partners house on Monday...

winfred
05-15-2004, 12:33 AM
22mm = 7/8

netmgr
05-15-2004, 07:24 PM
I did this to mine, and yes you do need to remove steering wheel...

But my stalk was from an E32, and i had too many wires...and the relay unit thats on the E34 unit isnt on the E32 - it seems all it does is click.....ie to let you know its on, perhaps the E32 version of this is located someplace else...

bottom line i didnt fit the relay unit....result works fine, but i have no annoying clicking sound everytime i turn a corner...been like that for years so must be ok..

I did have to alter one wire though to get the OBC to change functions...cant remember which

Just a thought incase you have any further probs

darren

Dan in NZ
05-15-2004, 08:14 PM
I did this to mine, and yes you do need to remove steering wheel...

But my stalk was from an E32, and i had too many wires...and the relay unit thats on the E34 unit isnt on the E32 - it seems all it does is click.....ie to let you know its on, perhaps the E32 version of this is located someplace else...

bottom line i didnt fit the relay unit....result works fine, but i have no annoying clicking sound everytime i turn a corner...been like that for years so must be ok..

I did have to alter one wire though to get the OBC to change functions...cant remember which

Just a thought incase you have any further probs

darren

Thanks for that,
My indicator did come from an E34, so hopefully it should just be a straight swap. The one I have has a large harness connector, a 3-pin harness connector, a brown ground wire, and the relay hanging off.

The wires that go to the stalk switch are integrated into the base of the stalk, and must come out of the harness somewhere, so I'm HOPING the car is already wired up to the harness connector for the switch.

Paul in NZ
05-16-2004, 04:26 AM
I have an appointment with my wiper/wash switch in an attempt to track down my non working intensive clean system....the button on the end is the same as the OBC button i suspect......I havent been able to figure out how to get the shroud of either.... :p

Dan in NZ
05-16-2004, 08:32 PM
I have an appointment with my wiper/wash switch in an attempt to track down my non working intensive clean system....the button on the end is the same as the OBC button i suspect......I havent been able to figure out how to get the shroud of either.... :p

Paul,
It's going to be a few days yet, I have a full day of uni today, then tomorrow it's going in to have a tie-rod replaced for WOF. Also have to replace the transmission pan, it's leaking quite badly after an "impromptu" off-road excursion pushed it back about 5mm yesterday...