PDA

View Full Version : seems irrational -sway bar links

Russell
09-24-2007, 08:01 PM
This weekend I replaced my original rear sway bar links at 144,000 miles. Rubber was bit cracked was all I saw wrong.

Today, the car seems to corner flatter and ride a bit tighter/more controlled. Also a small clunking noise from the right rear seems to be gone. I also lost weight too!!

Seriously, can this small change make this big a difference? TIA

Bin_jammin
09-24-2007, 08:23 PM
This weekend I replaced my original rear sway bar links at 144,000 miles. Rubber was bit cracked was all I saw wrong.

Today, the car seems to corner flatter and ride a bit tighter/more controlled. Also a small clunking noise from the right rear seems to be gone. I also lost weight too!!

Seriously, can this small change make this big a difference? TIA

Lost weight? I can only assume this is either a diet reference or a joke... if you're on a diet and losing weight, congratulations! (how'd you do it?) If it's a joke... hahahaha.

:)

Alan_525i
09-24-2007, 08:33 PM
Actually, loose sway bar links make a huge difference. Replacing them is pretty noticeable. And the clunk is almost 100% definilty the links.

Russell
09-24-2007, 08:57 PM
It was a joke

Russell
09-24-2007, 09:00 PM
I am trying to replace as many of the rubber suspension parts as I can. I just never thought this small repacement would make that much of a difference. Now on to the sub-frame bushings.

Bin_jammin
09-24-2007, 09:35 PM
I am trying to replace as many of the rubber suspension parts as I can. I just never thought this small repacement would make that much of a difference. Now on to the sub-frame bushings.

Yeah, I'm actually looking for a dirt cheap parts car for a full subframe to rebuild. I want to do it all and be able to just slap it into the car in one shot.

Robin-535im
09-24-2007, 11:53 PM
Yeah, I'm actually looking for a dirt cheap parts car for a full subframe to rebuild. I want to do it all and be able to just slap it into the car in one shot.
I did that with my "spare" e34. Worked pretty well, was able to get it all sparkly clean and do all the bushings.

I used 535 bushings but I think the m5 bushings are the same fit but a different part number, making me think they could be stiffer and possibly a nice BMW upgrade. Trailing arm bushings are a bear to swap out, hard to get a good angle on them and they're in there with a few hundred tons worth of press fit :) .