PDA

View Full Version : Got E34, considering E32

Unregistered
05-14-2004, 04:02 PM
I like my '90 E34 535i so much, am considering purchase of a similar age 735il. Seems to me, they are the same car, but 735il just has bigger sheet metal.

What is the practical difference between and 535i and 735il in driving, maintaining, etc.?

Bill?

AllanS
05-14-2004, 04:09 PM
No manual transmission?

I think they're basically the same car, except, as you said, in body (and therefore, weight). Most of the repairs/faqs on Gale's e32 page are the same for the e34.

Unregistered
05-14-2004, 04:43 PM
No manual tranny in my 535i now, and that's OK cuz the wife & kids can use it, too.

I figure an E32 with EAT chip, decent wheels, Bilsteins, etc. would probably hold its own with a non-chipped 535i/automatic. Nice road car.

That's why I'd like to hear from whoever has a 735i, to get some real world perspective.

icm5er
05-14-2004, 06:07 PM
No manual tranny in my 535i now, and that's OK cuz the wife & kids can use it, too.

I figure an E32 with EAT chip, decent wheels, Bilsteins, etc. would probably hold its own with a non-chipped 535i/automatic. Nice road car.

That's why I'd like to hear from whoever has a 735i, to get some real world perspective.

My friend who sold me my 89 535iM promptly bought a white over blue 90? 735iM. It has the same engine and transmission as the E34 535, having been in both cars and also driving my 535im while following the 735iM, performance is almost identical. The 735 pulls hard and the added weight is not that much. The 735 is obviously larger mostly in rear passenger leg room.

Other than that, they are pretty much the same. My friend does say that he would like to get the 535iM back, I say to him, no way.

If you are interested, he may be willing to sell it as I think he has 5 cars right now.

George M
05-14-2004, 08:02 PM
the E-32 has few peers as an open road car...and also makes quite a visual statement...one of the nicest styled big sedans I have ever seen. I absolutely love my 90 735iL. Here is what I wrote at the end of last summer. Gonna make another road trip this year as well.

http://members.roadfly.com/georgemann/treesresize.jpg
What can you say about high speed touring in mid to upper Michigan. Trees are even more spectacular when they start to turn color in a couple more weeks. High speed cruising with the sunroof open and classic rock in the CD player. Of course many like to test the top end of a big BMW and I am generally willing to indulge them. The 3.91 LSD rear end is a perfect high end touring gear....short enough to accelerate hard up to maximum speed and long enough to not be too busy. The car gets over 100 mph so effortlessly, and speeds up I-75 routinely hit 90-95 mph. In fact was in the right lane about that speed when a brand new MB SL convertible with a hot young blond with the top down came up hard in my rearview mirror (or was that me coming up hard?) at well over a 100. No pictures, girl friend didn’t like it but I had to let my car go a bit, to keep up, quite a sight. Actually she is a very good sport and enjoys speed like I do. The open road with a restored BMW on a perfect late summer day. Doesn’t get any better. :D

http://members.roadfly.com/georgemann/qtrresize.jpg
Quick pic at a rest stop on the way up.

shogun
05-16-2004, 10:39 AM
I have a 750iL V12 since more than 10 years. Great car, but of course needs regular maintenance.
http://tridem.han-solo.net/auto/erich/signat.jpg