PDA

View Full Version : Looking into a 95 540iA need advice

AllGo'n'Show
09-23-2007, 01:51 AM
Hey everyone,

Looking at replacing the lost 735iL I had with a 95 540i Auto.

It has 222xxx km, around 137xxx miles.

Compared to the m30's how hard are these engines to do work on yourself?
Anything I should be looking for that's been replaced already or has ot be good shape (tranny/rad/etc...)?

I think I may go offer to trade in my 2000 olds intrigue on it, I miss the 735iL everyday and this comes with a one year warranty as well, probably only powertrain but it's better then nothing.

I need something that is going to make it through winter ok before it needs any work done to it, anything you guys can see going wrong statistically in the next 30xxx km's?

pingu
09-23-2007, 05:28 AM
I've read (on this forum and on other sites too) that the cooling system of the 540 is notorious for needing a new radiator and water pump at high miles. Have they been replaced on the one you're looking at? Mine needed a new rad at about 132,000 and a new water pump a few thousand miles later (so I twice had the "joy" of being stuck at the side of the road). As Dirty Harry said, do you feel lucky?

Also, make sure that the 5HP30 gearbox doesn't whine when it's cold - I would do a test drive immediately after statring the engine (the whine is in second gear, at about 20-30 mph), then come back and check the car over, then make sure it starts easily when warm. Whining can be low auto fluid or the wrong (i.e. non OEM) filter. The auto fluid is expensive and it's a pig to replace the filter and put in the fluid (you have to fill the autobox from underneath the car!).

Paul in NZ
09-23-2007, 06:30 AM
they are harder to work on in that there is little room but the valves dont need adjusting..but be warned....you better have a strong will to say no after you have driven one....

Jehu
09-23-2007, 12:28 PM
buy a stick...

AllGo'n'Show
09-23-2007, 01:48 PM
I think I need to find a proper well maintained 540 and go for a spin with the owner in that then go drive the one at this lot.

I can say no, I have turned down a few other cars I was looking at but we'll see how this one goes.

AllGo'n'Show
09-23-2007, 01:49 PM
http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=28778937&pgno=8&srt=1

This is the ad by the way.