PDA

View Full Version : Rear sway bar Links-Help!

Russell
09-22-2007, 11:58 AM
How in the devil do you get them on? I understand you lube and press them on. What type of "clamp" should I use. My drivers side is resisting a C-Clamp held with vise-grips. It is about 1/2 on with the sway bar rod almost through. Had to actually cut the old one off. Presently stuck. Help!

nirvana19
09-22-2007, 12:39 PM
First, my recommendation is to take a rotary brush or something and clean off the end of the sway bar (where the links go) REALLY well. I spent literlaly hours trying to push the damn things on with every kind of grip possible, even after cleaning them with a wire brush. Then I took my dremel out and attached a wire brush attachment and did a hell of a cleaning job. Then to my surprise with a very strong push and someone holding the sway bar (pushing towards me) it finally went on smoothly. Then did the same on the other side and it worked.

Russell
09-22-2007, 01:22 PM
Thanks for teh suggestion. Wish I had someone to help. Even so there was no rust or corrosion on the sway bar end. I did clean and lube and it is half on. Not why it seems to be hard to finish the job.

Going out and see if I can find some sort of press or clamp that should work. BTW, a small tie rod puller would have pushed the old linke off the bar. However, I forgot I had one until after I cut the driver's side link off.

Russell
09-22-2007, 02:48 PM
I ended up using a 4" 2-jaw gear puller to "pull" the link onto the sway bar. I clamped a pair of vise grips to the bar for a "seat" for the pointed /center part of the gear puller. Took five minutes each. I hope the tri-flow oil I used for lube does not mess up the link's functionality

632 Regal
09-22-2007, 06:55 PM
hope it doesnt degerate the rubber...
I ended up using a 4" 2-jaw gear puller to "pull" the link onto the sway bar. I clamped a pair of vise grips to the bar for a "seat" for the pointed /center part of the gear puller. Took five minutes each. I hope the tri-flow oil I used for lube does not mess up the link's functionality

Russell
09-22-2007, 07:15 PM
hope it doesnt degerate the rubber...
I suspect the pressure pressing it on the bar squeezed most or all of the lube out.

525SEI BRIT
09-22-2007, 07:46 PM
Just clean the surface, as suggested, and then soak the dog-bones/links in a bowl of hot soapy water, this provides all the lube needed and softens the rubber for a short while so you can just slip them on!

As this is mostely an American forum, should i include a disclaimer warning about the possibility of burning from hot water or something!!...lol...:D

First, my recommendation is to take a rotary brush or something and clean off the end of the sway bar (where the links go) REALLY well. I spent literlaly hours trying to push the damn things on with every kind of grip possible, even after cleaning them with a wire brush. Then I took my dremel out and attached a wire brush attachment and did a hell of a cleaning job. Then to my surprise with a very strong push and someone holding the sway bar (pushing towards me) it finally went on smoothly. Then did the same on the other side and it worked.

Russell
09-23-2007, 07:51 AM
Just clean the surface, as suggested, and then soak the dog-bones/links in a bowl of hot soapy water, this provides all the lube needed and softens the rubber for a short while so you can just slip them on!

As this is mostely an American forum, should i include a disclaimer warning about the possibility of burning from hot water or something!!...lol...:D
Thanks for the advice. I sure wish I had done the softening bit with heat first. I just did not understand how much of a pain it would be before i started. I also did not know that the choice of lube was important, sort of like subframe bushings. BTW, no disclaimer necessary :)

BTW, did your 95 540i come withe brake ducts or did you add them? In the US only the 94 540i came with brake ducts.

525SEI BRIT
09-23-2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the advice. I sure wish I had done the softening bit with heat first. I just did not understand how much of a pain it would be before i started. I also did not know that the choice of lube was important, sort of like subframe bushings. BTW, no disclaimer necessary :)

Only meesin!!:)

Did it work?!!

BTW, did your 95 540i come withe brake ducts or did you add them? In the US only the 94 540i came with brake ducts.

To my knowledge all the UK and i think European 540's came with the ducts as standard, to distinguish them from the lesser engined cars. Can’t understand why you guys were robed of this feature, same as the rear headrests I guess!

repenttokyo
09-23-2007, 02:12 PM
lesser engines!

We got rear headrests in Canada, my 1991 525 has them.

525SEI BRIT
09-23-2007, 03:58 PM
lesser engines!

We got rear headrests in Canada, my 1991 525 has them.

You know what i mean... less than 286 horses and not limited to 155MPH:D