PDA

View Full Version : Help Please!!! Rocker arm shaft

clhorton
09-21-2007, 06:41 PM
I found this set of images on google and need to know what procedure I would have to do in order to successfully remove the rocker arm shaft without removing the head as shown on this page. I am attempting to do this on an '87 325i with a broken rocker arm. Thanks in advance guys.
http://www.bmwboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=799

winfred
09-21-2007, 07:52 PM
i never tried it without pulling the head, pull all of the rocker clip so you can move the rockers side to side and slide them off the cam lobes on the side of the shaft that you want to pull, at the front of the head theres a little bar that holds the two shafts in and from turning, lift that out, you will need to pull the rotor adapter to get the plastic shield out of the way so that you can slide the shaft out like pictured, clean the shaft till it shines and lube it well to help make it slide easier

beyond that you need to identify and solve whatever problems crop up, like that the shaft will more then likely hit the ac condenser unless you can find a gap and get the motor at a level that the shaft will hit it

artguy
09-21-2007, 09:09 PM
we think alike. :D

Robin-535im
09-21-2007, 11:28 PM
I found this set of images on google and need to know what procedure I would have to do in order to successfully remove the rocker arm shaft without removing the head as shown on this page. I am attempting to do this on an '87 325i with a broken rocker arm. Thanks in advance guys.
http://www.bmwboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=799
Love that valve spring compressor... a couple of sockets, an extension and a washer jammed up against the intake.

clhorton
09-22-2007, 07:40 AM
I've got the cam sprocket, condenser and front grill removed, but the problem I am facing is removing the bar itself. I have about an inch of it coming out the front, but am unable to get it to budge much further. I have order a new shaft from bav auto as my method thus far (vise grips and a hammer) have of course scarred the old shaft. Anybody think it could be a possibility to drill into the front of the shaft and attach a slide hammer to it? Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again, Corey Horton.

winfred
09-22-2007, 08:42 AM
you need to have the pressure off all of the rockers on that shaft, you can slide them off to the side so that they are not on the cam lobe, if theres not enough room to go one side you can pop the clip and slide the opposit side rocker out of the way and slide the rocker to the other cam lobe, if it's just dirty and you can't get the shaft to move, clean it and soak it down with wd40 or pb and keep at it, once you get enough sticking out grab it with a big pair of vice grips and twist as you pull

clhorton
09-22-2007, 09:07 AM
OK thanks Winfred I will give that a go. Corey Horton

you need to have the pressure off all of the rockers on that shaft, you can slide them off to the side so that they are not on the cam lobe, if theres not enough room to go one side you can pop the clip and slide the opposit side rocker out of the way and slide the rocker to the other cam lobe, if it's just dirty and you can't get the shaft to move, clean it and soak it down with wd40 or pb and keep at it, once you get enough sticking out grab it with a big pair of vice grips and twist as you pull