PDA

View Full Version : Oh F........................!

Barney Paull-Edwards
09-21-2007, 10:42 AM
So there I was on friday off with all the tools. Instruments came out exactly according to forum,discovered the car was assembled in 03/95, old bulbs out, bust off one of the locks getting multiplugs out. Not as per threads,TDS`s have only two plugs and a wierd blank bit at the bottom of the speedo. Battery off yesterday to run down capacitors,column cover not as thread, one screw under and clips elsewhere,yellow/orange plug for airbag off,black/white plug for horn off,17mm not 22mm bolt off, igniton on, wheel off easy. Now the fun,wheel on car has annular ring crimped to back,wheel off `90 has completely different set up, bugger, lucky I did`nt ruin wheel getting it off,re-assemble old wheel and swear,perfect `90 wheel available for anybody, swap for `95 wheel! Back to fourth winding of duct-tape. How does anybody fit an aftermarket wheel to an E34? All praise to forum for instrument advice, worked a treat, as did fitting M5 front end to TDS,had to make strut tops with new bearings but small price to pay for better handling, bearings to fit are from John Deere hub.

Ross
09-21-2007, 02:53 PM
Are you changing your wheel because the leather is "buggered"? If so you may want to try Wheelskins. They are nice quality and a BIG improvement on a ratty leather wheel, even bigger improvement over duct tape. A bit time consuming to stitch up but worth the effort.

winfred
09-21-2007, 03:36 PM
i can't speak for euro cars but us cars the wheels are all the same from 91 up on the 3 and 5 series (not positive where they stop fitting, e34 and 36 definetly), the ones that have the 16/17mm bolt, e36 wheels with bolt right in, cars with the 22mm nut can use the older wheels like e30/e24/e28...

Barney Paull-Edwards
09-21-2007, 04:44 PM
Any idea where I can get a "wheelskin" from ? The wheel fitted a treat but the Airbag connection was completely different, the annular bit behind my wheel did not fit at all, any idea what will fit that bit Winfred?

winfred
09-21-2007, 05:06 PM
id need to see a picture to tell what went wrong

Any idea where I can get a "wheelskin" from ? The wheel fitted a treat but the Airbag connection was completely different, the annular bit behind my wheel did not fit at all, any idea what will fit that bit Winfred?

Barney Paull-Edwards
09-21-2007, 06:55 PM
Its 0130 here, will post photo tomorrow when I take the F....... wheel off to align it properly!Old wheel had slip rings,`95 one does`nt.