PDA

View Full Version : OT: How do you clean your drive way?

bigtisas
09-19-2007, 06:50 PM
My other car (Mercedes 300E) is leaking motor oil like crazy. About 1/2 qt a week!! What do you use to clean your drive way? I've tried 409, Orange cleaner, Simple Green and brake cleaner. I need something stronger.

repenttokyo
09-19-2007, 07:08 PM
I use industrial Purple Power, gets oil right out of my brick driveway.

NovceGuru
09-19-2007, 07:23 PM
If you are very bored and want to waste lots of energy use a pressure washer :D

Macv
09-19-2007, 07:30 PM
3m adheisive remover.... the industrial. Somehow it works.... and great.

I'd advise, soak it in 3m, throw some sand over it and about 5 minutes late broom away or hose away.

BFEINZIMER
09-19-2007, 07:57 PM
Oh yea a heated presssure waser will do wonders..like its ****in amazing...in auto shop last year (in HS) I just ****ed with it all day hahah...

icesoft
09-19-2007, 08:02 PM
I have a gravel driveway, so I just roll the stones over. Otherwise, pour oil over the rest of the driveway to match. :D :p

2fast
09-19-2007, 08:11 PM
lime powder or cat litter can work too on new oil spills

Bin_jammin
09-19-2007, 09:57 PM
Concrete soap and a brush, scrubby scrubby, then pressure wash away.

The Bigfella
09-20-2007, 12:11 AM
My other car (Mercedes 300E) is leaking motor oil like crazy. About 1/2 qt a week!! What do you use to clean your drive way?

Make sure you carry something to clean up the motorcyslists' blood off the road too. If you knowingly drive a car leaking that much oil - you do so knowing that the consequences include a high risk of death for other road users.

They call that manslaughter in this country. Murder 2 in the US isn't it?

bigtisas
09-20-2007, 12:38 AM
I am trying to fix it. I just bought the car last month. Apparently, all Merc 300E of that year have head gasket problem. :( It's an external leak near the back of the engine. I am using 20w50 oil to slow the leak. Also, sprayed high temp. Copper seal around the leak area trying to seal it from outside. I will try a couple things before I spend US$1000+ to replace the head gasket. Mercedes...sigh.

attack eagle
09-20-2007, 01:09 AM
Make sure you carry something to clean up the motorcyslists' blood off the road too. If you knowingly drive a car leaking that much oil - you do so knowing that the consequences include a high risk of death for other road users.

We call it Darwinism. :D
You like to exaggerate don't you? If they can't handle such a tiny bit of oil (.07 liters per day) spread over 'x' km driven, they shouldn't be riding a personal suicide booth on public roads.
If it was that big an impact on bikers, everytime it sprinkled or I used my windscreen washer everyone of them would fall down immediately. :p

632 Regal
09-20-2007, 04:53 AM
plain old cat litter, work it in with your feet then sweep it up.

whiskychaser
09-20-2007, 05:40 AM
Ask your mechanic for some of the proper absorbant stuff they use. You can even re-use it. If not brush in dry washing powder and rinse with hot water. The bonus with the latter is you get to see that look on her face when you ask where the washing powder is :-)

Ferret
09-20-2007, 05:48 AM
Ask your mechanic for some of the proper absorbant stuff they use. You can even re-use it. If not brush in dry washing powder and rinse with hot water. The bonus with the latter is you get to see that look on her face when you ask where the washing powder is :-)

Lmao, followed by the rage after explaining what you're about to do with it :D

I'm distinctly reminded of that Wogan 'Janet and John' story that ends:

"Can you hit a moving target with a four slice toaster? Janet can!"

Bin_jammin
09-20-2007, 06:40 AM

No, they call riding a motorcycle Organ Donation. Riding a bike without expecting to find oil on the road is a pipe dream. Second, I think you ought to realize exactly how little 1/2 a quart a week really is. If it were in one spot it would be a small puddle. Driving for a week will be almost impossible to detect.

Here's a little experiment. Try dripping a quart of oil in an hour, one drop at a time. Scale that by 168 and you've got a week, that ought to put it into scale for you.

Stop flaming, calling an oil leak murder is a bit of a stretch, don't you think?

The Bigfella
09-20-2007, 07:50 AM
Stop flaming, calling an oil leak murder is a bit of a stretch, don't you think?

You've obviously never seen the body of someone killed that way

repenttokyo
09-20-2007, 07:59 AM
yeah i have and that's why i will never ride a motorcycle.

Ross
09-20-2007, 09:43 AM
On asphalt (macadam) I use the purple cleaners with moderate success.
On concrete I've found that lighter fluid, Ronson, Zippo, etc., will remove the crustiest stain there is and you won't even know it was there. Squirt it on, scub it around a bit and rinse with water.

Ferret
09-20-2007, 10:06 AM

The other halfs father is the chief consultant pathologist for north wales... he says the first warm days of summer that turn up, his freezers are always full of bikers.

Bikes are great yeah, but christ they're overpowered for what they are - beyond the capability of most riders to control.

Anyways, how the hell did this thread go from 'oil :(' to 'lets bash motorbikes'?

Ross
09-20-2007, 10:50 AM
Every biker knows to stay off the centerline for this reason. It's not as if he's dumping a pint at a time.

Macv
09-20-2007, 11:11 AM

poor excuse

Every biker knows to stay off the centerline for this reason. It's not as if he's dumping a pint at a time

Any biker that can truely "ride" a bike will be able to live through a drop of oil. I've ridin in light rains before with maybe one or two slips from a stop. It's not rocket science.

whiskychaser
09-20-2007, 11:15 AM
Anyways, how the hell did this thread go from 'oil :(' to 'lets bash motorbikes'?
x1. But dont get me started on push bikes....:)

The Bigfella
09-20-2007, 08:07 PM
We are talking about LOTS more than a drop of oil. Half a quart (close enough to half a litre) a week - bearing in mind its probably only leaking when the car is operating - so it is a lot. It is probably enough to be dropping a small puddle of oil if stopped at lights.