PDA

View Full Version : Conversion Thoughts?

BFEINZIMER
09-19-2007, 12:36 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E34-535i-manual-transmission-5-spd-swap-kit-E32-735_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33733QQihZ019QQitem Z290160377448QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Sam-Son
09-19-2007, 12:39 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E34-535i-manual-transmission-5-spd-swap-kit-E32-735_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33733QQihZ019QQitem Z290160377448QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
You can probably guess what my thoughts would be on this:D

94_e34_525i
09-19-2007, 12:44 AM
What a good deal damn, I would go for it.

BFEINZIMER
09-19-2007, 12:52 AM
Not a clue :p

You can probably guess what my thoughts would be on this:D

My only issue is the car is in the shop becasue of electrical issues with the auto tranny...It has a warantee on it for the next liek 20 thousand miles and 1 year...just rebuilt...so not sure if I should spring on this or just wait till my auto is out of warantee (spelling)

Ross
09-19-2007, 09:00 AM
Seller doesn't disclose mileage so it's probably safe to assume it's high.
Nice way to turn a beater E34 into $2k though.

Torque
09-19-2007, 09:03 AM
Too much. Last winter my father and I picked up a whole 535im (which drove and ran like a beast, and which we later sold) for $2200 ... to pay that much for a gearbox ...

BFEINZIMER
09-19-2007, 11:03 AM
Hmm so no go? Hah alot of mixed thoughts

Kalevera
09-19-2007, 11:11 AM
The kit is mine, mileage on the car was ~ 185k when I dismantled it. The last owner had the car since 1992, CCA member and had it serviced at the dealer (not that it means anything) until he started intermittently bringing it to my shop in ~2004. Clutch was new in 2000, I have the receipt for it, but I'd replace it. There were pictures of the car posted on BFc.

In terms of the price, it's based on what the dismantlers are charging. The reputable places like ED tend to not even HAVE this sort of stuff, and when they do...well -- call them and ask what they want for it ;)

ILoveMPower
09-19-2007, 11:12 AM
EDIT: NVM, explained above

BFEINZIMER
09-19-2007, 12:12 PM
The kit is mine, mileage on the car was ~ 185k when I dismantled it. The last owner had the car since 1992, CCA member and had it serviced at the dealer (not that it means anything) until he started intermittently bringing it to my shop in ~2004. Clutch was new in 2000, I have the receipt for it, but I'd replace it. There were pictures of the car posted on BFc.

In terms of the price, it's based on what the dismantlers are charging. The reputable places like ED tend to not even HAVE this sort of stuff, and when they do...well -- call them and ask what they want for it ;)

Cool cool thanks for the info...I'll havat do some thinkin see if its gonna be good for me..I'm still tin to figure out whats up with my current tranny...could you link me to the pics?

TC535i
09-19-2007, 12:19 PM
For the right price, you could have my 535 (minus a couple things) for a parts car... Clutch has <1,000 miles on it, head has MAYBE 20k miles on a rebuild. Had no problems with the head or transmission whatsoever, bottom end of the motor is knocking and probably gone tho. Lots of good stuff in there tho. Jim C chip, short shifter, etc etc...

Torque
09-19-2007, 06:38 PM
For the right price, you could have my 535 (minus a couple things) for a parts car... Clutch has <1,000 miles on it, head has MAYBE 20k miles on a rebuild. Had no problems with the head or transmission whatsoever, bottom end of the motor is knocking and probably gone tho. Lots of good stuff in there tho. Jim C chip, short shifter, etc etc...I know I'm like a vulture, but if you decide to part out the car, I call dibs on teh JC chip ... actually maybe the whole car.

pm me if you decide to get rid of it.

:)

TC535i
09-19-2007, 06:59 PM
well, he's local to me in SoCal... but I'll let you know!

BFEINZIMER
09-19-2007, 07:50 PM
haha thanks tim..im considering the option but i woudlent have a spot for another car..id havta figure that out

hey did you get my voicemail?

Torque
09-20-2007, 10:05 PM
well, he's local to me in SoCal... but I'll let you know!well my dad wants a 535 too ... rebuilding the engine isnt something we would mind, and neither is coming to get the car even if it means towing it with this one all the way here.

winfred
09-20-2007, 10:21 PM
hehehe and my old head could live on :D not sure where my short block is now, been a while since i sold that

For the right price, you could have my 535 (minus a couple things) for a parts car... Clutch has <1,000 miles on it, head has MAYBE 20k miles on a rebuild. Had no problems with the head or transmission whatsoever, bottom end of the motor is knocking and probably gone tho. Lots of good stuff in there tho. Jim C chip, short shifter, etc etc...

BFEINZIMER
09-21-2007, 12:37 AM
haha torque is all over this...

im seriously consideringt the car just need to work out the detaisl liek where ima put it haha

hey tim,

could you and kim help me do the transfer of whatever we decide haha dont know if i wanna swap engines or trannys or what not

gimmie a call or we'll get together next/this weekend and talk it all over

i shoulda have a new tranny computer on saturday morning so we'll see if that fixes the car for now

TC535i
09-21-2007, 01:19 AM
haha torque is all over this...

im seriously consideringt the car just need to work out the detaisl liek where ima put it haha

hey tim,

could you and kim help me do the transfer of whatever we decide haha dont know if i wanna swap engines or trannys or what not

gimmie a call or we'll get together next/this weekend and talk it all over

i shoulda have a new tranny computer on saturday morning so we'll see if that fixes the car for nowunfortunately I'd have no way to do it, and I still gotta do everything on the track car... and nowhere to work on stuff

got the message, glad to hear you finally found a computer... hopefully that helps

TC535i
09-21-2007, 01:20 AM
hehehe and my old head could live on :D not sure where my short block is now, been a while since i sold that
Yup... that stupid head was damn nice when it went back together, pity the bottom end crapped out so early :(

BFEINZIMER
09-21-2007, 02:30 AM
unfortunately I'd have no way to do it, and I still gotta do everything on the track car... and nowhere to work on stuff

got the message, glad to hear you finally found a computer... hopefully that helps

hmm well its in SD right? hey if theres a will--theres a way

yea i paid liek 75 bucks alltogether to have it here saturday morning so we'lls ee hopefully thats my solution

JoeS
09-21-2007, 06:46 AM
When I did my conversion, I found the experience of extracting all the parts from the donor car priceless and i took some pics to keep my memory fresh. This way you get to see the way it goes in and some of the tricks you will have to deal with during installation. Plus you get to inspect all parts and look at the environment they came from. Not to mention the cost savings of only having to pay for the parts and not the labor of the dismantler to remove, pack , and ship.