PDA

View Full Version : Saloon Trunk Light Switch

euaniebabs
09-18-2007, 04:36 AM
Hi guys

Do any of you know what kind of switch operates the lights inside the trunk and where it is?

I have a '95 european spec 540i 6

I have push contacts on the bottom of the lid that do not seem to do anything. It may be that there is a tilt switch inside somewhere?

The reason I ask is it works intermittently and switches the lights on and off even when the trunk is fully open. This is not really a problem except the alarm thinks the car is closed up, locks itself and then sets the alarm off when it is still open...

Thanks!

Euan

DaveVoorhis
09-18-2007, 05:24 AM
The switch is in the boot/trunk lid, beside the latch. Pull back the carpet to get at it. You can see a post in the boot/trunk opening that actuates it. My E34 did the same thing as yours. I opened the switch and found it had corroded and a copper leaf spring had broken. I soldered it, cleaned out the corrosion, and stuffed the switch with grease to prevent corrosion. No problems since...

euaniebabs
09-18-2007, 05:44 AM
Appreciate that! Will have a look at it later on today now that i know where to dig :)

Euan

The switch is in the boot/trunk lid, beside the latch. Pull back the carpet to get at it. You can see a post in the boot/trunk opening that actuates it. My E34 did the same thing as yours. I opened the switch and found it had corroded and a copper leaf spring had broken. I soldered it, cleaned out the corrosion, and stuffed the switch with grease to prevent corrosion. No problems since...

Paul in NZ
09-19-2007, 12:34 AM
Appreciate that! Will have a look at it later on today now that i know where to dig :)

Euan
may also be the first signs of the wires/insulation breaking up where the wires are tied to the LH boot hinge

euaniebabs
09-19-2007, 01:24 AM
may also be the first signs of the wires/insulation breaking up where the wires are tied to the LH boot hinge

Yes - I guess that is a possibility. Investigation scheduled for this lunchtime :)

Euan