PDA

View Full Version : I lost my only key!!!

skr
09-17-2007, 12:10 PM
So, as the title says, i lost my only key somewhere in my house/yard/garage. I gave up searching after about 10 hours and now i'm thinking about what options i have. The good part is that i have a full set of locks ,with 2 keys from a parts car. I could not find any info on removing the whole lock casing, and i can't just swap the lock cylinders because sthe steering is locked and i don't have a key. I'm thinking bout removing the steering lock together with the upper part of the steering column. I'll go at it tomorow and see what happens, but any info about removing the casing whould be great.

whiskychaser
09-17-2007, 12:14 PM
So, as the title says, i lost my only key somewhere in my house/yard/garage. I gave up searching after about 10 hours and now i'm thinking about what options i have. The good part is that i have a full set of locks ,with 2 keys from a parts car. I could not find any info on removing the whole lock casing, and i can't just swap the lock cylinders because sthe steering is locked and i don't have a key. I'm thinking bout removing the steering lock together with the upper part of the steering column. I'll go at it tomorow and see what happens, but any info about removing the casing whould be great.
I think what you may actually asking is the best way to nick your car:)

jonmar
09-17-2007, 01:16 PM
You should be able to order a new key at the dealer using the Vin code and a proof the car is yours.

Barney Paull-Edwards
09-17-2007, 03:45 PM
Might not know a lot about Romania, but if you dont know how to get into your car,call the garage, dont expect us to tell you in print how to steal a car!!

Alexlind123
09-17-2007, 05:16 PM

You can order a new key from the dealer for a somewhat pricey but not exorbitantly expensive price. They will cut your key from their database, and they will need the VIN and probably proof of ownership.

Alexlind123
09-17-2007, 05:17 PM
Might not know a lot about Romania, but if you dont know how to get into your car,call the garage, dont expect us to tell you in print how to steal a car!!

...and hopefully he didnt double lock it.

Derek A.
09-17-2007, 06:11 PM
There is a huge gap in e34 key codes. I tried to order a key for mine and BMW has lost the key codes. I even talked to someone in the fatherland - they could not help.

Torque
09-17-2007, 06:46 PM
There is a huge gap in e34 key codes. I tried to order a key for mine and BMW has lost the key codes. I even talked to someone in the fatherland - they could not help.Elaborate please. I tried to order a key for my 90 535, and wrong one came ... they re-ordered, wrong key again. So either one of the previous owner had all the locks changed, or BMW has a computer problem and the codes are all mis-matched with the VINs/serial numbers.

skr
09-17-2007, 06:53 PM
ok, you caught me. i'm gonna steal my car tommorow morning and hide it in my garage. i know i can get a key from the dealer but that takes about 2 weeks. as the e34 is my daily driver and is parked outside my house i ain't got 2 weeks. so, i'll try to switch all the locks from my parts car to my car. while i'm at it i'll swap the steering columns so i can fit an m-tech 2 wheel with new leather that i have lying around. Opening the caar ain't a problem because i have lots of spare windows. i'll let u know how it turns out.

Barney Paull-Edwards
09-18-2007, 12:53 AM
That would be the best idea anyway. Your key, like mine,does a lot less than US spec cars,ours will not double lock or have the release point on the left hand door,they do however, have an inertia release point on the front bumper!

myles
09-18-2007, 04:47 AM
My local dealer gave me the key code for my car and I was able to go to a locksmith and get a new key cut the same day. It only cost AU$22

Russell
09-18-2007, 04:57 AM
Why would you have only one key? My wife lost the key for her ford Explorer (only one left) and I paid almost $100 US to have a new one made and recoded both keys (don't ask why) by the dealer. Peace of mind was worth it.

The $40-50 US for a new BMW key is well worth it, assuming BMW can make you the proper key code. Anyway, good luck.

whiskychaser
09-18-2007, 08:36 AM
That would be the best idea anyway. Your key, like mine,does a lot less than US spec cars,ours will not double lock or have the release point on the left hand door,they do however, have an inertia release point on the front bumper!
Thought they all had double locks. You can hear mine throw when the key is at 10 past the hour and again at quarter past. You can also get in by the nearside door if the battery is flat but its a real pain. Mine is RHD but was built for S Arican market. Curious about the inertia release on the bumper

Elekta
09-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Go to home depot and get a magnet bar for cleaning up construction sites for about $8. Then you can at least sweep the outside areas like the grass etc

hth

Ferret
09-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Thought they all had double locks. You can hear mine throw when the key is at 10 past the hour and again at quarter past. You can also get in by the nearside door if the battery is flat but its a real pain. Mine is RHD but was built for S Arican market. Curious about the inertia release on the bumper

They do have double locks, just the later models post-facelift dont have the emergency unlock function...

...which is really pissin annoying when you've got an electronic lock on the tourer boot hatch too.

BuckNaked
09-18-2007, 01:08 PM
Go to home depot and get a magnet bar for cleaning up construction sites for about $8. Then you can at least sweep the outside areas like the grass etc

hth

I'd be afraid of harming the key chip with an industrial magnet.
I feel for my brother, I have been living on the edge with just one master key. I've been quoted $150 US for a duplicate. If I can save a hundred on a second master key, you bet I will.

Oh, yeah, don't break the opera window to get in, you'll have a hell of a time replacing it.

skr
09-18-2007, 06:03 PM
thanks for the advice guys, but i allready gave up searching for the key. i took off the upper part of the steering column from the parts car, tomorow it's going on. it was kind of a b^*$h to get it off. all because of a bolt with no hex on it, (security thing i guess), wich holds the upper casing to the lower thing that holds the peddals and stuff. i decided to remove all stuff including the clutch master cylinder and peddals (they had to go out sometime), and deal with that bolt afterwards. i cut a grove in it and spun it with a large screwdriver. some of the bolts on the firewall were a little hard to get to, but doable with enough extensions. i'll post some pics tomorow after i'm done with the swap.

Derek A.
09-18-2007, 07:14 PM
Elaborate please. I tried to order a key for my 90 535, and wrong one came ... they re-ordered, wrong key again. So either one of the previous owner had all the locks changed, or BMW has a computer problem and the codes are all mis-matched with the VINs/serial numbers.

When I tried to order a key from the dealer - circa 2000. I was told by BMW NA and BMW AG customer service that they did not have a key code for my car. A number of e34/e32 build files were lost - and along with it the key codes. Maybe in the last few years its been recovered ?