PDA

View Full Version : My Dad's Shopping For A Car And I Need Your Help!!!!

BMW4LIFE
09-17-2007, 12:18 AM
so my dad is going through what seems like a midlife crisis and his shopping for an suv....

his looking at these choices....

2003 Range Rover..............My mistake....it should be a 2003 on the poll...sorry
2002 BMW X5 4.4i
2002 Cadillac Escalade

please help with any knowledge on these suvs...pros, cons, etc.

thanks!

ber55ber55
09-17-2007, 09:32 AM
Im choosing the x5 for a couple of reasons. One, it holds it value better then the other two. two, gas mileage is (probably) better then the other two. three, its a bmw.

I personally dont know much about SUV's but I havint heard to much bad stuff about the x5 from anyone.

My friend has a 2005 range rover and hated it. That thing was always in the shop for another electrical problem.

Escalde is nice, but seems too big in my opinion. Your dads wants a SPORT utility vehicle, not a truck.

Hope that helped a little

Ross
09-17-2007, 09:46 AM
Of the miserable choices presented here the BM is the only one of two I'd be seen in and the only one I'd actually own if under duress to have such a silly vehicle.
The Cadillac is everything wrong with America on wheels and an embarassment.
The Rover has perceived panache amongst those who don't know better. Make friends with a mechanic if you buy this POS.
The BM although more dignified than the others is just another silly jacked up car.
Pops better have a pretty strong stomach for depreciation if buying the Rover or Caddy as well.

repenttokyo
09-17-2007, 10:54 AM
reliability on the range rover is nowhere near as bad as it has been in the past.

whiskychaser
09-17-2007, 10:57 AM
Dont get too many Cadillacs in the UK so cant say. I imagine they are something Frank Canon would drive? Leaves only the Range Rover and X5. Unless you have the suspension modified by an outfit I know (you can have armour plate and bullet proof glass too) then the Range Rover still rolls on bends. You can put an old one on its roof by turning sharply at 45mph. A mate at work has a '97 diesel X5. Think its a 3litre auto. Loads of torque. Goes like hell. So of the 3 its got to be the X5. But if I had the money I dont think I would have any on my shopping list:)

Bin_jammin
09-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Yeesh... what a list. Get the x5. The Caddy will go like hell, it'll even haul the tanker it'll need to keep it supplied with fuel. Ride's ok, features are nice, plastic and leather everywhere, build quality is GM.

Seriously, ask your father if you were adopted, because you don't want to share any DNA with anyone that would even consider owning, driving, fueling, looking at, driving near, or reading about a Range Rover.

I mean that. If he buys the Rover, make sure he gets the insurance for it, then burn it.

BMW4LIFE
09-17-2007, 02:09 PM
Seriously, ask your father if you were adopted, because you don't want to share any DNA with anyone that would even consider owning, driving, fueling, looking at, driving near, or reading about a Range Rover.

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats some funny ****!

but yea he loves the looks of the rover but it seems like everyone is telling me that they have A LOT of problems!

Personally I rather get the X5 but the rover is sooooooooo sexy!

haha....

Another quick question....

I hear that the X5 has a lot of problems on its own...especially the 4.4i model

over heating, water pump, etc.

are these true? any other problems i need to know about?

brosher
09-17-2007, 02:27 PM
Honestly they are 3 different vehicles. Is he going to use it for any trails or off roading? Towing? Are they under extended warranty?

repenttokyo
09-17-2007, 02:29 PM
yeah that's true, if he's going to do any serious towing, forget the range rover and the bmw.

Barney Paull-Edwards
09-17-2007, 03:40 PM
Horses for courses! Caddy if your dads a rapper or footballer,Rover if he can get an extended warrantee and lives up a twenty mile track,BMW X5 for the real world if he must have a pose vehicle. Tell him to get a Boxster and a toyota pick-up!

GoldenOne
09-17-2007, 03:50 PM
I hear that the X5 has a lot of problems on its own...especially the 4.4i model

over heating, water pump, etc.

are these true? any other problems i need to know about?

actually my indy and I were just talking about the X5's (mom wants one), apparently failing transfer cases are becoming a big problem. Becoming more prevelant now that most X5's are coming out of warranty (go figure) theres a huge lack of failed cases to rebuild so it cost $$$$ to repair/rebuild the fubar'd transfer case...So watch out, get any X5 checked out...

Barney Paull-Edwards
09-17-2007, 03:58 PM
Still better, tell him to get a Landcruiser, petrol or diesel, either will tow anything and still work after ten years- presence?-watched one push a C-130 recently.

markus
09-17-2007, 04:09 PM
rav4 or pathfinder. both are available with V8s and will run forever. they still have tons of features you can add.

range rovers are junk and caddys, well I HATE them. If he is going to waste his money on an ameircan SUV then he might as well save a few grand and get the yukon denali.

dont like X5s either.

repenttokyo
09-17-2007, 04:20 PM
rav4 or pathfinder. both are available with V8s and will run forever. they still have tons of features you can add.

range rovers are junk and caddys, well I HATE them. If he is going to waste his money on an ameircan SUV then he might as well save a few grand and get the yukon denali.

dont like X5s either.

the Rav 4 is not available in the north american market with a V8. I don't think the Rav 4 has a V8 in any other market either...

As for calling an american SUV a "waste of money", have you ever had to do any serious towing? Above 5000 lbs? There are not many imports that can do that, at least, not safely. With a Suburban you can tow well over 9000 lbs!

Ross
09-17-2007, 04:39 PM
Approaching the reliability of a 70's Fiat?

Jr ///M5
09-17-2007, 05:18 PM
I would be looking at a Toyota 4 Runner Limited. I know it's not on your list, but that would be my choice.

JR

Sam-Son
09-17-2007, 05:27 PM
Approaching the reliability of a 70's Fiat?
I happen to like 70's Fiats:D
Anyway I have to admit I love Landies but I know most people won't put up with the reliability issues so I suggest getting an X5. but if you can stand the electrical gremlins get the rover

skr
09-17-2007, 07:09 PM
i'd get the range. even if it fails weekly and the other 2 run forever i'd still get the range. but i'd buy an xjs jag, so don't mind me :)

Sam-Son
09-17-2007, 07:58 PM
i'd get the range. even if it fails weekly and the other 2 run forever i'd still get the range. but i'd buy an xjs jag, so don't mind me :)
I'd get an XJS also check out knowles wiliknson engineering;)

Barney Paull-Edwards
09-18-2007, 01:04 AM
Get therapy if you desire an XJS! Certainly nice to look at,on Google Earth, but buy a garage if you want to own one.Forget the toy Toyota`s buy the real deal,a Landcruiser.

94_e34_525i
09-18-2007, 01:43 AM
hmmm considering this is a BMW forum why ask? LOL

BMW4LIFE
09-18-2007, 01:21 PM
i do have to say that I'm getting a good laugh from all the comments...but it seems like all the cars chosen are hated!!!

haha

Personally I trying to talk my dad into the new Acura Mdx...i guess the reviews are awesome and the ride is wonderful!

as far as towing goes he wont be pulling anything but he'll do some major costco shopping which i know any SUV will be okay with!

Just out of curiousity has anyone heard anything about the Porches Suv? My uncle has one but he got the V6 AND hates it cause he says its under power...maybe the S would be better?

thanks for all the advice so far guys!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Barney Paull-Edwards
09-18-2007, 02:22 PM
If he can afford a Cayenne and the embarrasment then the non-turbo V8 is a hell of a tool,try and find a "transsyberia" version,not a lot of room for shopping but a hell of a lot of fun!

Sam-Son
09-18-2007, 03:46 PM
If he can afford a Cayenne and the embarrasment then the non-turbo V8 is a hell of a tool,try and find a "transsyberia" version,not a lot of room for shopping but a hell of a lot of fun!
Here in america at least where I'm from most people aren't embarassed by a Cayenne. they're extremely common, despite the fact that the driver is the tool:D

Barney Paull-Edwards
09-18-2007, 04:31 PM
With gas at $2.65 per Us gallon, a cayenne is seen as a tree--huggers nightmare,an X3 or X5 is twice as economical,Porsche make sports cars not tanks(bar tigers).X5`s dont have a reputation for breaking transfer cases here,if you can use the space get one,better still get a 535D touring, coming to you soon!

Ross
09-18-2007, 05:26 PM
ACURA! A Honda? Jeez, you're worse than Pops.
The Porsche, Ha! Ferdinand is rolling in his grave.
Look, if Dad wants to impress have him buy something the cognocenti will appreciate. A vintage Land Cruiser or an LM Lambo, a G-wagen perhaps.
Honda, for a midlife crisis, WTF.

Tiger
09-18-2007, 05:53 PM
We have Acura MDX... excellent choice... it is the best bargain of all... Please do get the one with Navigation system... it is so easy to use. We got the 2005 model year... it is the best. The older one has different navigation system and I think is not the same.

I see you are considering the new one... Yes, absolutely... it is the way to go... when you consider what options are in there and comparable model in new vehicle of other brand... you will see that there is tremendous amount of value in it. Get extended warranty... it is very worth it.

indierthanthou
09-18-2007, 08:07 PM
wheres the who is winfred?

Phatty5BMW
09-18-2007, 08:30 PM
yeah that's true, if he's going to do any serious towing, forget the range rover and the bmw.

Well about the towing for the X5 is waaay better than you think. My parents 03 X5 4.4 is a pulling machine. Pulls there 24' pontoon better than there 99 suburban anyday. I even pulled it. Braking is flawless, power is exceptional. It is an amazing vehicle to pull with. Since we pulled it with the x5, haven't used the burban since....... Hands down on the x5.. on a 300 mile trip i avg'd 21 mpg, same mileage as my 535. I guess I am kind of biased but, the x5 impresses me more n more everytime I drive that bad boy :)

My 02
Pat

Phatty5BMW
09-18-2007, 08:32 PM

Well about the towing for the X5 is waaay better than you think. My parents 03 X5 4.4 is a pulling machine. Pulls there 24' pontoon better than there 99 suburban anyday. I even pulled it. Braking is flawless, power is exceptional. It is an amazing vehicle to pull with.

Since we pulled it with the x5, haven't used the burban since....... Hands down on the x5.. on a 300 mile trip i avg'd 21 mpg (not towing), same mileage as my 535. I guess I am kind of biased but, the x5 impresses me more n more everytime I drive that bad boy :)

ohhh ya the self leveling air shocks are nice too... people look at you funny haulin this boat 4 times the size of a lil x5 and the ass doesnt sag a bit... people ask questions first, then amazed later.. kinda funny :)

My 02
Pat

Robert K
09-18-2007, 09:15 PM
Ask your dad how he's going to feel when gasoline hits $3-4 per gallon and keeps going up and he's getting 10-12 mpg around town. I am constantly amazed at how much people will pay to be seen driving a big SUV. Assume you get an average of 15 mpg and drive the average of 15,000 miles per year. That's 1,000 gallons of fuel!!! Now factor in the price per gallon, which at the moment is an average of $2.79 per gallon in the U.S. That's $2,790 in fuel!!! That's before even paying for the vehicle itself and the insurance. No wonder everyone else on the planet hates Americans for what we drive. We squander fuel like there's no tomorrow.

I suppose every American has their right to buy what they want and can afford, but it still is wasteful. One last thing. If gas prices do continue to rise, guess what's going to happen to the resell or trade-in value of gas guzzling SUV's? That is something I would definitely keep in mind.

P.S. The thing I hate most about my 535i is the gas mileage...23 mpg on the highway max...downhill...with a tailwind! That's why I drive my 30 mpg V-6 Camry everywhere now.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i

repenttokyo
09-18-2007, 09:42 PM
In Canada, it costs me over 2000 in gas every year even with my 525...which gets 28 on the highway.

BMW4LIFE
09-22-2007, 01:01 PM
so after reading all the postings here i basically told my dad that he needs to go buy a honda civic!!!

haha

well he said he drove the 3.0i x5 and the 4.4i and it was like night and day!....he then told me that he looked into the whole gas thing and the difference was 2mpg from the 3.0 to 4.4i

this is turning into a nightmare!!! =(

any other SUVs you guys recommend?!