PDA

View Full Version : Insurance ? - almost hit a deer

Herb
09-16-2007, 07:12 AM
Well on my way to work this morning, I was cruising about 80+ on my favorite back road when I spotted a deer and had to get hard on the brakes. The deer seem to be in a hurry to get where a deer needs to go in the morning. Danger gone, hard on the gas again in my super autotragic .

This got me thinking about how I would recover some of my parts if my insurance totaled the car after an accident, that I wouldn't have immedate parts for swaping - i.e. wheels, suspension parts? How much I would have to pay to keep the car out of a salvage yard?

Herbert

DaveVoorhis
09-16-2007, 07:48 AM
Please fill out your profile with your location and brief vehicle specs. Questions like this, and any others, will be much easier to answer when we know (a) what country you're in, and (b) whether you're driving a pristine trailer-queen M5 with 5728 original miles, or a clapped-out 518 that took the scenic route to hell and back.

Herb
09-16-2007, 08:22 AM
There, fixed, I had thought that I had done all of that a long time ago, guess not.:) Thanks

whiskychaser
09-16-2007, 01:00 PM
In the UK the wreck would belong to the insurers as part of the claim settlement. Technically you could offer to buy the wreck but they have deals with breakers to take all their write-offs and probably cant be bothered. But I do know a few people who have come to such an arrangement

Ross
09-16-2007, 01:29 PM
In the UK the wreck would belong to the insurers as part of the claim settlement. Technically you could offer to buy the wreck but they have deals with breakers to take all their write-offs and probably cant be bothered. But I do know a few people who have come to such an arrangement
I've done this.
There is a disposal cost to the insurance company and more work for them to total it.
My insurer was a premium company and not one of the substandard types so experience may be different.
When it happened to me the adjuster stopped estimating damage once the amount was clearly in excess of the car's value. I said I wished to keep the vehicle so the adjuster wrote a check for the "book" value less the scrap value. They agreed to a very low scrap value as it was painless for them to write one check and be done.
They would not however reinsure that car until I provided evidence of repair.
That's my story, hope it helps.

Herb
09-16-2007, 02:44 PM
Yes, thank you.