PDA

View Full Version : Completely dead, no electrical power,

hlenoble
09-15-2007, 01:41 PM
Hi,

I did a search and didn't find anything, so I apologize in advance if this problem is common and I should have found it.

I have a '90 535i that suddenly has no electrical power whatsoever. Everything was fine on Monday, but when I tried to start it on Friday it was completely dead. Not even a click when i went to start it, no interior lights, nothing. I should mention that I checked and nothing was left on, and I have never had any sign at all that the battery was losing power.

I put a battery charger on it today but there is still NOTHING. Is there some sort of fuse or relay that controls the entire electrical system? Could there be a bad ground? If so, where is the likely ground problem?

Thanks in advance,

Ferret
09-15-2007, 01:57 PM
Quite frequently these cars fracture their battery fuse links, have a look at this. (http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/electrical/fusible_link.htm)

Are you handy with a multimeter?

Check the voltage on the starter motor terminals before you put the key in the ignition... and see what happens when you move the ignition switch through to ACC.

Barney Paull-Edwards
09-15-2007, 02:22 PM
Fusable links, check out bruno`s net,if you have power at battery,thats a good bet.

hlenoble
09-18-2007, 08:30 PM
Thanks! I hope I'll have time to look at the fusible link(s) before the weekend. If not it will have to wait until then. I'll keep you all informed.

ILoveMPower
09-19-2007, 11:21 AM
When's the last time you replaced the huge (and pricey) battery?

hlenoble
09-19-2007, 05:04 PM
I have not replaced the battery in the 4 years that I've owned the car. My thought was that batteries typically show some signs of weakening, while this one seemed normal (no issues) on Tuesday and then was COMPLETELY dead on Friday. I checked and I left nothing electrical on. Before I do anything else I will certainly check the battery.

Thanks

Ferret
09-20-2007, 01:43 AM
I have not replaced the battery in the 4 years that I've owned the car. My thought was that batteries typically show some signs of weakening, while this one seemed normal (no issues) on Tuesday and then was COMPLETELY dead on Friday. I checked and I left nothing electrical on. Before I do anything else I will certainly check the battery.

Thanks

Tues --> Fri is plenty of time for a knackered battery to just drop dead.

Quite often on smaller batteries they're fine one day, but wont start the car the next morning...