PDA

View Full Version : Question on service lights

merlin
09-15-2007, 11:43 AM
The lighted bars in the instrument cluster tell you how close you're approaching the next service, but with a car with no previous history, and aside from going by mileage, how do you know what's due next (Insp I, Insp II, Oil Service) before reaching that point?

Is there a way to make the OBC cough up that info?

Thanks.

colo525i
09-15-2007, 12:22 PM
The cluster should say "oil service" or "inspection" when the yellow bar is lighted. I don't think it can say inspection I or II, but it does say inspection or oil service.

DaveVoorhis
09-15-2007, 12:36 PM
Unless there is evidence otherwise, it's safest to assume a used car has never had a single fluid changed, checked, flushed, replenished, or otherwise noticed by any living thing. In particular, I wouldn't trust the service bars to bear the remotest connection with what the previous owner did, or did not, do.

merlin
09-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Thank you, colo525i. I'm aware of that, but I was wondering if there's a way to find out what's coming before reaching the yellow bar.

And DaveVoorhis, you're absolutely right. I guess I was just giving the lights the benefit of the doubt.

DaveVoorhis
09-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Not to my knowledge. It's a surprise, like unwrapping a Christmas present or a sudden fart.

Ross
09-15-2007, 12:47 PM
I couldn't agree more.
Get the inspection II list and do it or have it done.
I'm usually ready for an oil change around the time the first green light goes out so don't put much stock in that device.

whiskychaser
09-15-2007, 04:50 PM
Does anyone really take any notice of the lights? - except to reset them maybe. Miles run/time are a bit more reliable

632 Regal
09-15-2007, 05:34 PM
LMAO!

Not to my knowledge. It's a surprise, like unwrapping a Christmas present or a sudden fart.

Torque
09-15-2007, 07:11 PM
Does anyone really take any notice of the lights? - except to reset them maybe. Miles run/time are a bit more reliableI sure as hell don't care about them ... the inspection crap is rubbish anyway ... I check 90 percent of that every time I get in my car ... and the other 10 percent every week or two ...

Paul in NZ
09-15-2007, 07:53 PM
i service my car religiously by the lights....Doesnt stop me doing any thing that needs doing before hand.