PDA

View Full Version : exploded view of differential

bones
09-14-2007, 09:59 PM
trying to diagnose my screaming differential issues,put it on jackstands and and accelerated to about 35 mph and there is a deffening scream coming from the differential.salvage yard wants $300 for a unit of unknown condition.im considering pulling the thing apart and hoping for a bearing issue as opposed to ring and pinion.the pitch does not change from on or off throttle positions.also losing oil from input seal area.anyone have a exploded view of the 410-5261.i dont think its a limited slip.the car is a 1989 525I with a auto trans. thanks bones.

shogun
09-14-2007, 10:22 PM
That is all I have
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=HC23&mospid=47402&hg=33&fg=10

bones
09-15-2007, 09:38 AM
That is all I have
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=HC23&mospid=47402&hg=33&fg=10thanks shogun this gets me started down the right path.based upon the bearings in the drawing im determined my issue is a bearing and not gear lash.im going to pull the diff apart and ill post pics of what i find. thanks again bones

Ross
09-15-2007, 09:46 AM
Pull it apart, sounds like a bearing.

bones
09-15-2007, 09:50 AM
hey grand master,im actually looking forward to it.the worst i can do is have to replace it with a unit from a salvage yard.thanks for the just do it attitude. bones

Ross
09-15-2007, 10:00 AM
My motto is "It's already broken".
The lessons learned and money saved far outweigh any costly F-ups.
EDIT Also bear in mind when buying used parts for cars of our vintage. Most of them are being "broken" because they are worn out, there are precious few good ones that get scrapped now due to wrecks.

bones
09-15-2007, 10:08 AM
My motto is "It's already broken".
The lessons learned and money saved far outweigh any costly F-ups.all my neighbors watch me spend hours fixing cars and they allways tell me ive got to think of the time i spend doing it and that i spend to much time under the hood when i could be making money and paying someone to do it.i like wrenching,i dont think i could afford to pay someone to do it with the patience and precision that i wrench with and screw earning money,theres never enough and it goes soooo fast. bones