PDA

View Full Version : Groaning from near the left rear wheel... does the halfshaft cv need regrease/rebuilt

BigKriss
09-13-2007, 10:57 PM
I think my cv joint in busted on my rear left hand side half shaft. It not the center bearing becuase I replaced it a few months ago. I have no guibo. The symptoms are are knocking type sound that you can feel in the cabin over 40% throttle and under 40% throttle no knocking but screeching??????? type of sound. it only happens around 25-35 kms and at higher speeds you cannot hear/feel anything abnormal?

I check both boots for the cv joints (left and right hand side) and there are no tears at all. Everything else underneath the car is solid, swaybar mounts and dogbones. Am I on the right track here guys?

632 Regal
09-14-2007, 01:43 AM
I definetly think your there Kris, put the wheels in the air and turn them back and forth while watching the cv joints.

BigKriss
09-14-2007, 05:00 AM
could it be the wheel bearing?

Ross
09-14-2007, 08:38 AM
Wheel bearings wont "knock", just grind, hiss or rumble.
Halfshaft failure is usually from lack of lube so take a look for torn boots spewing the grease around.

BigKriss
09-14-2007, 09:21 AM
There are no tears in the boots though.

Halfshaft failure is usually from lack of lube so take a look for torn boots spewing the grease around.

632 Regal
09-14-2007, 09:59 AM
grab the shaft when there is no load on them and push and pull the thing, if wasted you will see a lot of play.

There are no tears in the boots though.

BigKriss
09-14-2007, 07:39 PM
thanks Jeff

BigKriss
09-16-2007, 03:20 AM
I looked underneath there today and there is no play in the half shafts. I used to own a FWD with rooted cv joints and this is a different sound.

NielsGalan
09-16-2007, 08:19 AM
When you say "groaning" and "rear wheels" I came to think of a problem I had, when I bought my car. Had an annoying groaning sound when turning at low speeds, for example when parking. This turned out to be caused by having the wrong kind of oil in the differential. Mine has a LSD which required a certain type of lubricant, hence the groaning.

I know this doesn't sound very much like your problem, but there it is anyway.

whiskychaser
09-16-2007, 01:06 PM
If the outer race collapses its possible you will get a knock. You can easily find out it this is the case. Jack the car up. Grab the wheel at 12 and 6 o'clock and see if you can rock it. If you can, start thinking new bearings

BigKriss
09-18-2007, 05:20 AM
Can anyone else give me any more recommendations. I know it's mainly been exhausted here, but the niose / knocking is still apparant and I'll need to take it too a shop if I don't get any other suggestions on here.

Bin_jammin
09-18-2007, 06:05 AM
Honestly, to me it sounds like a failing diff. Just my two cents, but I'd put the car on stands and run it, listening for the sound at the back.

BigKriss
09-18-2007, 06:07 AM
I'll put the rear on jackstands and give it a go. The other possibility I was thinking about was the rear swaybar and removing that to see if the noise is still there. Thanks

Honestly, to me it sounds like a failing diff. Just my two cents, but I'd put the car on stands and run it, listening for the sound at the back.

Bellicose Right Winger
09-18-2007, 06:16 AM
Your symptoms are different but I've solved cv joint noise, at least temporarily by raising rear and running car to 40 MPH for 10 seconds. This might make some change in the noise which would tell you you're on the right track or not.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=2177&highlight=shovestul+ticka

Paul Shovestul

Can anyone else give me any more recommendations. I know it's mainly been exhausted here, but the niose / knocking is still apparant and I'll need to take it too a shop if I don't get any other suggestions on here.

Ferret
09-18-2007, 06:17 AM
Collapsed subframe mounting/trailing arm bushing on its way out?

BigKriss
09-18-2007, 06:36 AM
the differential bushing seems fine, no break and are firm. the trailing arm bushes I couldn't check but I assume they are fine and the subframe bushes I assumed are fine also as I'm running Bruno's delrin plates underneath them.