PDA

View Full Version : Help with Coilovers and ABS.

525SEI BRIT
09-13-2007, 08:51 AM
Hello,

I think i may have just made an expensive mistake!

ive just ordered a set of FK Coilovers for an M5 thinking they were a steel. only to realise there made for a 97mm ABS sensor!

I have a 1995 540 with the factory M-tech suspension, how do i know how big my ABS sensor is, will it fit??!!

Help...:(

Barney Paull-Edwards
09-13-2007, 04:41 PM
You have NOT made an expensive mistake! The struts will fit on but I think your car may have the electronic dampers, in which case goos luck with disconnecting them.I have done the same thing, thinking the M5 legs wouls be higher spec but they are`nt, lesson expensive. There are two diameters of sensor, early and late, you have late,struts bolt to legs so should not be a problem.Shocks will give up fairly soon, buy Boge/sachs replacements, lesson learnt!

525SEI BRIT
09-15-2007, 02:56 AM
You have NOT made an expensive mistake! The struts will fit on but I think your car may have the electronic dampers, in which case goos luck with disconnecting them.I have done the same thing, thinking the M5 legs wouls be higher spec but they are`nt, lesson expensive. There are two diameters of sensor, early and late, you have late,struts bolt to legs so should not be a problem.Shocks will give up fairly soon, buy Boge/sachs replacements, lesson learnt!

Thanks for your comments.

received the coil overs yesterday evening, all looks well, and just ordered a new wheel bearing/hub with the larger 97mm sensor. bearing collites seam very tight over the spindles though! (i.e. there gona need a thwack!!)

I dont have the EDC and its now all in bits so no probs there! basically replacing everything under the front! inc Powerflex bushes.

they were about half price and thats all he had, so hopefully if all works out should be a steal!!!

FK Automotive are a quality German engineering company and judging by the quality on first inspection they should last for a while yet.