PDA

View Full Version : OT: Oil and filter for diesel engine?

icm5er
05-13-2004, 08:52 PM
Can someone explain the difference in engine oil and oil filter for a diesel engine? vs gasoline engine? What is a good diesel engine oil?

This is for my skid steer loader (bobcat).

632 Regal
05-13-2004, 09:16 PM
5w-30 mobil 1 for deisels, factory recommended filter, change at same hour intervals because of the soot. I have an old Bobcat Ransome ryder diesel lawn thrasher changed to mobil and it was never quieter.

winfred
05-13-2004, 09:44 PM
we run 30 weight in all of our diesel forklifts, and we use it in old mercedes diesels also

632 Regal
05-13-2004, 09:51 PM
but thats for a hot engine that is rarly shut off to cool, deisels take forever to superheat to where they are efficient and I did notice a diff with the 5w-30. cant hurt has the right credentials on the label.

charlie
05-13-2004, 10:18 PM
Can someone explain the difference in engine oil and oil filter for a diesel engine? vs gasoline engine? What is a good diesel engine oil?

This is for my skid steer loader (bobcat).

Shell Rotella T and Mobil Delvac are the choice of most truckers and fleet service. I used to work for Caterpillar (on their construction equipment) and their "CAT" oil is Delvac with their own label on it. If you want to use synthetic, that's fine too- but many of the industrial motors take 4-5 gallons and it gets expensive. Most people will run straight 30 on the older engines and 15-40 on the newer stuff. Multi visc oil (no matter how good) will ALWAYS break down before a straight weight. Since a lot of this stuff gets ignored until there's a problem, some prefer 30. Rotella T is pretty easy to find in local auto parts stores- you may have a tougher time finding Delvac.

DueyT
05-13-2004, 10:44 PM
Delvac 1 for sure! Rotella T Synth is also good to but Delvac 1 beats it overall, especially in lower sulphated ash, colder pour point and better viscosity index (ATSM D-2270). My TDI gets nothing but Delvac 1 and loves it.

Cheers,
Duey

icm5er
05-14-2004, 05:59 PM
Shell Rotella T and Mobil Delvac are the choice of most truckers and fleet service. I used to work for Caterpillar (on their construction equipment) and their "CAT" oil is Delvac with their own label on it. If you want to use synthetic, that's fine too- but many of the industrial motors take 4-5 gallons and it gets expensive. Most people will run straight 30 on the older engines and 15-40 on the newer stuff. Multi visc oil (no matter how good) will ALWAYS break down before a straight weight. Since a lot of this stuff gets ignored until there's a problem, some prefer 30. Rotella T is pretty easy to find in local auto parts stores- you may have a tougher time finding Delvac.

15w-40 I was told is good for diesels, it also says so on the bottle. The engine is a Kubota Diesel, I think 36hp. I use the machine less than 40 hours per year so I figure if I change the oil every season, I should be OK.

panzershreck
05-15-2004, 06:50 PM
is 15w40 ok for an M20 engine? its currently circulating through my engine... engine cools well & never overheats, runs seemlessly... but long term is there any side-affects?