PDA

View Full Version : U C Bimmer Magazine's 5 Series Market Update article?

Bimmer Nut Ed
09-12-2007, 10:13 AM
The November edition of Bimmer Magazine has a 5 Series market update that mentions the D'Sylva EAT Chip on an E34 M5. Page 78

"it has a D'Sylva Chip which we never heard of"

It also mentions a 1991 M5, with 92k miles on it, with a rebuilt trans by Jim Blanton. White/Silver Gray

We know this car, I forget the gentleman's name but he was at our picnic last year.

I'll post a pic of the article shortly.

spyrot1
09-12-2007, 10:43 AM
I read that article... the e34 information was just about the same as the e34 info they posted a couple of years ago. Nothing new at all.

How could he not know what an EAT chip is?

Bimmer Nut Ed
09-12-2007, 11:01 AM
http://www.bmwe90.com/ed/bimmermag.JPG

Ross
09-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Am I to understand that the club offers advertising on their website, which members ostensibly pay for via dues, then proceed to editorialize and critique the ads?
Doesn't seem right.

winfred
09-12-2007, 11:40 AM
explain the tranny rebuild?! how bout the fact that the 280 seems to suck, i can't say i've read about many m5s that haven't had a 280 rebuild or swap out before 100k, maybe it's the fact that the motor has considerable ass at high rpm and is in a heavy car

BMWCCA1
09-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Am I to understand that the club offers advertising on their website, which members ostensibly pay for via dues, then proceed to editorialize and critique the ads?
Doesn't seem right.It was BIMMER, not Roundel!
Even though Mikey Miller writes for both mags, they tend to know enough at Roundel to save him from himself. Did you happen to notice the teaser on the cover? "1975-88 5 Series Market Update". Umm, did they intentionally leave off the E34? Or is indicative of what a total rehash this whole thing really is, including the wrong cover blurb? I know I already read that trash about the biggest E28 problems being electrical issues caused by "installation of 30,000-watt sound systems." How helpful...and stupid! The D'Sylva thing cracks me up, too! Guess he never hear of Google, either? :D

attack eagle
09-14-2007, 04:29 AM
That is exactly why I chose NOT to subscribe...

Russell
09-14-2007, 04:55 AM
I sent a letter to the editor of Bimmer Mag in response to the article. While I enjoy the magazine , I got weary of them refering to anything that was not a manual transmission car, V8 or an M5 as a non-enthusiast car. This and many of their other articles implied that anything else was a "grocery-gitter" and the car and owner was not worthy of their attention. Just pissed me off, but only a little. :)

spyrot1
09-14-2007, 07:38 AM
I sent a letter to the editor in response to then article. While i enjoy the magazine , I got weary of them refering to anything that was not a manual transmission car, V8 or an M5 as a non-enthusiast car. This and many of their other articles implied that anything else was a "grocery-gitter" and the car and owner was not worthy of their attention. Just pissed me off, but only a little. :)

It is funny that that is their attitude, considering that approximately 75% of all Bimmers are probably auto's. I agree that a manual tranny will give maximum fun, but you can still enjoy the cars with an auto. These articles are written by BMW snobs... if it's not how they like it, they'll put it down.

I guess all 7 series Bimmers must suck, as they are just about all auto's. :)

(I would love to get a 740i Sport)

BMWCCA1
09-16-2007, 05:24 PM
It's been pointed out to me that some misunderstanding may exist here. In case it isn't clear to some of you, Bimmer is a fine magazine from California that comes out about ten times a year and is available by subscription. Roundel is the magazine of the BMW Car Club of America (http://bmwcca.org/) that comes out every month, at about 168 pages with less than 40% advertising by decree, and is enjoyed by more than 75,000 BMW CCA members who receive it as part of their membership in the Club—which also includes local chapter membership and newsletter, events, discounts, etc.—and that's the only way to get Roundel!

markus
09-16-2007, 08:29 PM
i was a member for 2 years. does satch carlson still write whiney editorials?

winfred
09-16-2007, 08:44 PM
a few years ago harmon fischer tried to get me to join, i've met enough of the local cca members to not want to be around them, i am thinking the main thing going on at the meetings is everybody congratulating one another on their car buying decision, oh and i get a better parts discount at the dealer :D

BMWCCA1
09-17-2007, 11:03 AM
Hey, if it was the hot ticket for everyone BMW CCA couldn't handle the crowd!

Yes, Satch is still editor of Roundel. I don't know if you're referring to his editorial comments on letters submitted, or his editorials complaining about the Z3 being a hairdressers car, or the lack of good used stick-shift Z4s but, yes, he's still writing.

I can't speak for everyone's local chapter experience or the meetings but I can say normally the old-guard control the local chapters simply because new members don't want to or don't feel comfortable getting involved. Events take on the flavor of those who run them and show up for them. Probably every one of the Club's 60 local chapters would welcome new blood, particularly new blood that wanted to actually do something rather than complain about status-quo. My local chapter has been around for over 25-years and still has some of the old members and still drafts the old members to do the work. We do have new members who are coming out and changing the flavor of things but nothing keeps anyone from proposing a new type of event, a new tool for our chapter tool box, or new articles in our local newsletter. It's all what you make of it. We love to spend the money our local members send us on the 10% of the members who actually show up. And that can be on food, drink, Pinewood Derby racing, vineyard tours, autocrossing, hand-on tech sessions, or Street Survival teen driving programs. And we wouldn't kick a B7 owner out of our tech sessions, we'd just not know how to disconnect his iDrive!

We even have a good group of E28 5 Series owners who've gotten together for tech sessions and DIY shop work. Eventually those will morph into E34 DIY groupies, too. I've met some of my closest friends in our local BMW club, and everyone shares expertise, tools, and even garage space freely. Sorry it didn't work out for others here. At least with my chapter I always know where I can find someone to drink a beer with on Thursdays, if I feel like it.

repenttokyo
09-17-2007, 11:47 AM
the constituency of some of the leadership of the bmw club of quebec is the same way, elitist and a big turn off, which is why I am not a member.

attack eagle
09-17-2007, 04:24 PM
It's been pointed out to me that some misunderstanding may exist here. In case it isn't clear to some of you, Bimmer is an AVERAGE magazine from California that comes out about ten times a year and is available by subscription. Roundel is the magazine of the BMW Car Club of America (http://bmwcca.org/) that comes out every month, at about 168 pages with less than 40% advertising by decree, and is enjoyed by more than 75,000 BMW CCA members who receive it as part of their membership in the Club—which also includes local chapter membership and newsletter, events, discounts, etc.—and that's the only way to get Roundel!

FIXED... yeah I hate Bimmer mag.

IFthere was a local chapter of BMWCCA, I'd join... but there isn't one within 4 hours drive, and I don't have time to start one myself..
It's either Tucson, AZ or ABQ, NM, neither of which does me any good.

Jr ///M5
09-17-2007, 04:29 PM
Hey, if it was the hot ticket for everyone BMW CCA couldn't handle the crowd!

Yes, Satch is still editor of Roundel. I don't know if you're referring to his editorial comments on letters submitted, or his editorials complaining about the Z3 being a hairdressers car, or the lack of good used stick-shift Z4s but, yes, he's still writing.

I can't speak for everyone's local chapter experience or the meetings but I can say normally the old-guard control the local chapters simply because new members don't want to or don't feel comfortable getting involved. Events take on the flavor of those who run them and show up for them. Probably every one of the Club's 60 local chapters would welcome new blood, particularly new blood that wanted to actually do something rather than complain about status-quo. My local chapter has been around for over 25-years and still has some of the old members and still drafts the old members to do the work. We do have new members who are coming out and changing the flavor of things but nothing keeps anyone from proposing a new type of event, a new tool for our chapter tool box, or new articles in our local newsletter. It's all what you make of it. We love to spend the money our local members send us on the 10% of the members who actually show up. And that can be on food, drink, Pinewood Derby racing, vineyard tours, autocrossing, hand-on tech sessions, or Street Survival teen driving programs. And we wouldn't kick a B7 owner out of our tech sessions, we'd just not know how to disconnect his iDrive!

We even have a good group of E28 5 Series owners who've gotten together for tech sessions and DIY shop work. Eventually those will morph into E34 DIY groupies, too. I've met some of my closest friends in our local BMW club, and everyone shares expertise, tools, and even garage space freely. Sorry it didn't work out for others here. At least with my chapter I always know where I can find someone to drink a beer with on Thursdays, if I feel like it.

I've worked with Satch Carlson when doing the E34 Summer Meet article for Roundel. He has forgotten more about the English language than I'll ever know. I have a great respect for his job and his style. It's a certain sarcasm that pierces the point home with a touch of smart ass usually only directed to a well deserving member. It's part of the age thing, believe me, he dishes it out to the staff as well. If you look hard enough, you'll see where they get their digs in too. Like a volley of wits...it's just when you're the Editor in Chief, you get the last word.

I support my local chapter all I can with the time allowed with this life. I wish it could be more, and it will be, in about 4 years when I retire...;)

The club is about the people, the magazine is about the people, the people are about each other, helping, teaching, and enjoying the common thread that we all share....the BMW marque.

JR