PDA

View Full Version : Might have to sell the 540....

Sidney Rough-Diamond
09-10-2007, 03:23 PM
A Lotus Elise is fighting for my parking space and looks like it will win. So any UK guys want to buy what must be the cheapest 540 6 speed manual ?

Good points :

Sterling silver
Shadowline trim
Clear indicators
Optional black leather sport seats
Optional larger 8x17" 5 spoke alloys ( including spare ) with 3 new Dunlop SP tyres
ASC+T
Factory 6 CD changer
6 speed manual gearbox
Air-Con
Airbag
Cat2 Thatcham Immobiliser

Recent work includes :
New engine mounts , new gearbox mounts , cam timing checked and freshly powder coated cam covers/gaskets installed, New front and rear brake discs and pads, rear shock top mounts, new Upper and lower suspension arms including uprated RTRS thrust arm bushes, drop links and steering arms, new sachs clutch kit. Other work includes an oil change 800 miles ago along with fresh Redline gear oil,Rebuilt gear shift linkage.

Not so good points :

When I bought the car it had a dented n/s rear door, a small amount of rust on the drivers door bottom,and small patch next to the filler cap. The previous owner also scrapped the n/s brake duct paint.
Inside the drivers seat has two very small rips in the leather,but other than that the inside is very clean.
Mechanically the engine is good,but the gearbox displays signs on wear on the 4th syncro. If you drive and change gear normally, its fine.Try and snatch 4th and you sometimes get a little gruanch. I doubt most people would find this on a test drive and they would drive it respectfully,but it is starting to wear.

The car has a good amount of service history and old MOT's to backup the mileage.The car had a documented clock change at a BMW dealer so the mileage reads incorrectly.Currently at approx 140K. Price is £1k firm. If it doesn't sell for that, the car gets broken and the engine and box go to a E30 V8/6 speed conversion project for £600,wheels and tyres get sold for £200 and the leather for another £200. It's been a fantasctic car to me and one of the best I've owned and enjoyed. I have fond memories of travelling across Europe in this and maxing it on the Autobahn - the ease of which this car will pull to its limted top speed of 155mph is amazing.Delimted I think it would pull 165mph with ease. The cruise across Europe at more modest speeds made for an amzing trip - 120 crusing speed, air-con on and the CD stacker flipping discs -perfect.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v318/bmgm3/?action=view&current=IMG_0840.jpg

Ross
09-10-2007, 04:01 PM
How many mile done on the Nordschliefe?

Sidney Rough-Diamond
09-10-2007, 04:49 PM
How many mile done on the Nordschliefe?

3 trips now, miles unknown.

pingu
09-11-2007, 06:38 AM
I'm just curious (already got a 540!) as to whether or not the new engine mounts made much difference.

My mounts have done 150k miles and part of me thinks they must be due for a change, the other part of me thinks why waste money unless new mounts are asbolutely required (the car passes each inspection fine).

What do you reckon? Anyway, good luck selling it!

Macv
09-11-2007, 07:05 AM
oh my gawd. Ship it to america and I'll take it. Sorry for your loss, although.... those Lotus drive like gods in the twisties.

Ferret
09-11-2007, 07:21 AM
Holy crap *very interested*

Would take me till the 1st of next month to raise the cash though... o.o

Ferret
09-11-2007, 07:56 AM
Okay, now I've picked up my dropped jaw, yeah I'm deffo interested in that for that kinda cash.

Does it have any MOT left on it, tax I'm not naffed about but it'd be an arse to retrieve it if it's not got an MOT on it.

Also whereabouts you located?

mattyb
09-11-2007, 08:04 AM
Sid, I have sent you a PM, can you have a read and get back to me when you can, ps where is the car located?

much appreciated

mattyb

Sidney Rough-Diamond
09-11-2007, 01:54 PM
Hi all, sorry for the slow reply - the forum seemed to be down when i tried to get access. I've enjoyed this car a lot in my ownership and it amazed me how good these old E34's are and what great value ( least, in the UK ) they are, but the time has come to move on in a totally different direction.I'm near Dartford,Kent.I've sent PM replies to those that PM'd me.

Re the engine mounts. Yep, they made a big difference on my car,mainly because one was starting to collapse. the other looked perfect until I removed it and found it was split perfectly in two parts. Was a pain in the bum to do though,until I found a stubby spanner to do the two top nuts....