PDA

View Full Version : Horn Stopped working...!?

Ferret
09-10-2007, 06:56 AM
Hrm, after a particularly bad cut-up this morning, I realised that the horn in my car is not working....

Anyone have any pointers as to where the loom comes from, what relay it runs through and any dodgy points in the loom to look out for?

I was going to pull the steering wheel, but it's not a quick job because I have an airbag fitted to my car :(

Bin_jammin
09-10-2007, 09:06 AM
Hrm, after a particularly bad cut-up this morning, I realised that the horn in my car is not working....

Anyone have any pointers as to where the loom comes from, what relay it runs through and any dodgy points in the loom to look out for?

I was going to pull the steering wheel, but it's not a quick job because I have an airbag fitted to my car :(

I've always found pulling the wheel to be fairly easy, have you done it before? It takes me something like 5 minutes to do.

zmuff
09-10-2007, 09:19 AM
Disconnect your battery and pull the airbag. You'll see several places where contacts are made for the horn to work. Pull all the pieces off (one side at a time) and clean vigorously with a small wire brush...I used brass. I found several places of light surface corrosion on mine. Reassemble all the fresh clean pieces and install the airbag. Connect battery, enter radio code (dammit), and enjoy how just a light thumb pressure will blast those who need to be reminded that they are not the only ones that are on the road. Cheers! :D

Ferret
09-10-2007, 09:33 AM
enjoy how just a light thumb pressure will blast those who need to be reminded that they are not the only ones that are on the road. Cheers! :D

Something that's always made me laugh is how quiet the horn is while you're inside the E34, whereas if you're outside or have the windows open you get blown away XD

I'll pull the wheel this coming weekend, when I get back from Barneys place :) and see if I can get it working again.

glen-sj
09-10-2007, 11:05 AM
Have you checked the fuses related to the horn? Like the #9 fuse, etc.

Barney Paull-Edwards
09-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Got the very tool for that,and its metric! 400bar sure blows the crap out of horn.

Ferret
09-11-2007, 07:38 AM
Got the very tool for that,and its metric! 400bar sure blows the crap out of horn.

Hah, it was fuse #9 in the end, turns out the magnetic AC clutch has disintegrated to the point where it's shorting internally.

The wife switched the aircon on for a laugh a few days ago, so I know what's caused it now...

Ross
09-11-2007, 08:01 AM
Ferret,
There is a fairly popular bumper sticker sold in the US that reads "Horn Broken, Watch For Finger" I would be happy to send one.

indierthanthou
09-11-2007, 08:26 AM
Dont even think about it. Those things are retarded, dont spread the plague overseas!

Ferret
09-11-2007, 12:29 PM
Dont even think about it. Those things are retarded, dont spread the plague overseas!

Lmao, I'd get pulled over in a heartbeat :D

Coppers here tend to take a dim view on that kind of stuff :p

Ross
09-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Lmao, I'd get pulled over in a heartbeat :D

Coppers here tend to take a dim view on that kind of stuff :p
Ah so what, they don't carry guns there. Do they?