PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of this fuel saving device - turbomag?

leicesterboy15
09-10-2007, 06:32 AM
I've seen this in lots of places but I can't find any independent reviews on it. I'm wondering if its one of those 'performance mods' that turns out to be a resistor type of thing or if it actually does work. The science bit sounds plausible but I don't know enough about fuel to say either way. And it begs the question why manufacturers don't fit anything similar.

I would love my 540i to use 30% less fuel :p

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120158344433&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:uk

Ferret
09-10-2007, 06:43 AM
Seems like a bit of a porcine overflight situation mate!

I cant really see the fuel molecules being polarised enough to cause a 'fuel molecule lineup'... especially not at the kind of speeds fuel's gonna be screaming through the lines at anything over idle.
Try dropping a magnet in a tank of petrol and see if anything sticks to it :)

Also I dont think 'ionizing' fuel would be a good idea, seeing as a real ionisation process tears a molecule into two separate charged parts. To do this you need two highly electrically charged plates anyways, magnets will not ionize anything if I remember correctly :D

BigKriss
09-10-2007, 07:08 AM
if it worked so well, why doesn't bmw include it as standard. they are only 13 pounds.

mattyb
09-10-2007, 07:25 AM
WOW! theres only 2 available, maybe we could do a group buy and put them on our fkn lawn mowers to mow the fkn lawn quicker. Hmmm polarising? negative perhaps? sounds familiar

Ross
09-10-2007, 07:54 AM
All devices of this ilk have proved quite efficient at extracting discretionary income from the wallets of fools.

repenttokyo
09-10-2007, 08:29 AM
This is SERIES X-T, meaning you get 6 magnet clamps, 2 yellow, 2 red and 2 green!

woooo hoooo!!!!

mikell
09-10-2007, 08:56 AM
I can't believe that people are still trying to scam people like this - these magnet deals have been out there for years and the only result is the needless acceleration in the exchange of money from fools to crooks. eBay should ban these deals.
They are attractively packaged, though.

Bin_jammin
09-10-2007, 09:03 AM
All devices of this ilk have proved quite efficient at extracting discretionary income from the wallets of fools.

Not true, the car will be much faster and more fuel efficient because it will not have to haul around all the extra weight in the owner's wallet.

leicesterboy15
09-10-2007, 09:20 AM
I am amazed people still fall for it, I guess people are willing to risk £12 to try it out because its not a lot of money but then its also better in your pocket than theirs! If 100 people are willing to give it a go and risk their £12 then it soon builds up!

Ferret
09-10-2007, 09:35 AM
I am amazed people still fall for it, I guess people are willing to risk £12 to try it out because its not a lot of money but then its also better in your pocket than theirs! If 100 people are willing to give it a go and risk their £12 then it soon builds up!

I think you've got it right here, punters will think £12 isnt that much money and the risk on it working is worth it :D

bmwrp8
09-10-2007, 11:53 AM

that's true, people still do fall for this how should I call it,scam? As a matter of fact a friend of mine bought 1 for his Mitsubishi and at first he claims it was saving him fuel, but after some time he personally told me it was ******** and he bought an expensive fridge magnet!

repenttokyo
09-10-2007, 12:00 PM
the thing is, when people buy something like this, and install it in their own car, they are not going to own up to the fact that they got suckered. So they manufacture a story about "better fuel mileage / car as more pep" because these are unverifiable claims to anyone else but the driver, and it lets them feel better about themselves and getting suckered.

gale
09-10-2007, 06:49 PM
http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/geez.jpg

They were pushing those things back in the early 70's when Nixon was in office during the 1st "fuel crisis". Guess there are a few generations since then that need to be suckered into them.

Gee, never thought I'd miss Nixon :(

nirvana19
09-12-2007, 06:08 PM
I'm almost certain mythbusters busted this one (on an episode where they looked into all the fuel saving devices/ideas you hear and find online, the only thing that worked was used cooking oil in a diesel engine)

pundit
09-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Don't you know these can also be strapped to your dick for use as penis enlargement devices!

g7syw
09-13-2007, 01:35 PM
Don't you know these can also be strapped to your dick for use as penis enlargement devices!

Hmmmmmmm!!!! Great, order me ten - better yet, make it a dozen, I'll put 2 on the car... hehehe :D

Ferret
09-14-2007, 12:35 AM
Hmmmmmmm!!!! Great, order me ten - better yet, make it a dozen, I'll put 2 on the car... hehehe :D

Car = Penile Extension?

:p