PDA

View Full Version : Front end clunk?

emil
09-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Hey everyone,

Now, I've already searched for this but didn't find anything directly related to my issue, so here goes:

My '89 535i is making a strange clunking noise in the front drivers side corner when going over small bumps in the road and whatnot. Nothing is loose, and I've installed new sway bar end links, thrust arms with m5 bushings, and brake pads within the past 500 km, and the car already has bilstein sport struts and h&r springs. Everything was installed and torqued correctly as per the bentley manual, so this is fairly confusing. The only thing that I noticed was that the outer tie rod end is leaking a bit from the boot, but this must have happened within the past two weeks. Could a slightly leaking tie rod end be what's causing this issue?

Cheers,
-Emil

Barney Paull-Edwards
09-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Two things you might try,take the wheel off and check the castle nut holding the shock insert is tight, you can reach it through the spring with "C" spanner ,Stilsons or tap it round with chisel.Also check strut top ,take off cover and dose with oil, if noise changes you`ve found it.

emil
09-09-2007, 06:20 PM
You are my new personal hero.

The castle nut was fairly loose, and after tightening it, the clunk is now gone!

aston_jag_tech
09-09-2007, 07:13 PM
Check the steering linkage inside of the car. Its a large 24mm+ nut on the steering linkage shaft near the splined shaft. Very common for this to lose its torque and emit a clunking when ever the front wheels have lateral loads.

BMWCCA1
09-10-2007, 12:03 AM
The large gland nut on the strut (or castle if you prefer) came loose from the factory on U.S. cars back in 1988-89. We ended up checking every one during PDI but BMW never believed us. The largest Snap-On or ChannelLock slip-joint plier is your friend here.

Torque
09-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Check the steering linkage inside of the car. Its a large 24mm+ nut on the steering linkage shaft near the splined shaft. Very common for this to lose its torque and emit a clunking when ever the front wheels have lateral loads.Could this be what's shaking the 'crap out of my steering wheel left to right when I run over even the slightest bump in a turn?