PDA

View Full Version : Turn signal works, parking light doesn't

repenttokyo
09-07-2007, 02:34 PM
On the front left of my car. Wires all seem to be attached to the harness properly. I changed in a new bulb, same result. Any ideas?

repenttokyo
09-09-2007, 04:32 PM
no one has any ideas?

is it possible that the contacts are dirty inside the light socket, and that's why I can only get the turn signal to light? Or is a dreaded LKM problem?

icesoft
09-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Could be the LKM, although the LKM doesn't switch any current on that circuit, only monitors it. Power comes in on pin 28 and goes to the light on pin 11 of the black connector. I would also check the connector and socket for the bulb, inspect the wires just before they enter the socket, the insulation commonly cracks there and moisture turns the wire to green dust.

Wouldn't/shouldn't the LKM report the problem with the park lamp through the CCM (since it is monitoring the filament afterall). Hrmmmm.....

repenttokyo
09-09-2007, 09:25 PM
The LKM reports the problem, "Parking Light" but the turn signal filament continues to function. I will check the wire connections more closely.

attack eagle
09-10-2007, 12:37 AM
Don't forget that sucker is sectional. you have the socket AND a plug to check. Time to break out the multimeter

Ross
09-10-2007, 09:41 AM
My money is on a corroded socket or a terminal not making contact wiyh the base of the bulb. LKM does not "see" the filament resistance so look for the cause of an open circuit.

repenttokyo
09-10-2007, 05:41 PM
So I took the harness out again today to test with a multimeter and one of the wires fell off - so that would have been the source of the bad connection now, don't you think? ;) I soldered it back on and all is well again.

whiskychaser
09-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Just for my education, can you plse confirm this is the same bulb? And if so is it located within the headlight unit? I've driven in the US quite a few times and could never get used to your red indicators and brake lights coming on at the same time! And dont get me started on 'you can turn right on a red light'...:)

Ross
09-11-2007, 01:28 PM
Park and turn signal are same bulb with two filaments.

repenttokyo
09-11-2007, 01:37 PM
Just for my education, can you plse confirm this is the same bulb? And if so is it located within the headlight unit? I've driven in the US quite a few times and could never get used to your red indicators and brake lights coming on at the same time! And dont get me started on 'you can turn right on a red light'...:)

it's the front indicator, which has 2 filaments. And don't worry, I live in Montreal, which does not allow right turn on red - one of only 2 places in north america that doesn't!

whiskychaser
09-11-2007, 02:04 PM
it's the front indicator, which has 2 filaments. And don't worry, I live in Montreal, which does not allow right turn on red - one of only 2 places in north america that doesn't!
Got it - will be like our rear side/brake light bulbs. Just curious. Thanks:)