PDA

View Full Version : Help, spilled soda on window switches!

ILoveMPower
09-06-2007, 08:31 PM
Now these things are being a pain in the ass! When it's hot outside they seem to not want to work at all.

I've tried lightly prying the switches up, but I wasn't confident that they wouldn't break if I tried any harder, is there an easier way to clean the contacts?

Thanks

Jehu
09-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Take the console out. One screw on the Front inside of the coin holder/tray/opening thing next to the hand brake and pull up the hand brake boot to find a nut down there to remove and pull out the rear console ashtray and find two screws holding the back half down then you'll see two nuts holding the front segment of the center console down,undo those and you should be able to lift it up enough to reach under and pull the plugs off the switches and pull the wireing up th and use contact cleaner on them. man even I've never spilled fluid there...lol.. carefull.

gale
09-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Take the console out . . .

Huh?

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/ws1.jpg

If the switch assembly feels like it's glued to the console, slide a blunt butter around the perimeter and then pry it out. You can safely dunk the whole switch in luke warm dish water without taking it apart, provided you blow it out right afterwards with compressed air. Follow it with a generous blast of ocntact cleaner or WD-40 and more compressed air. Contact cleaner will turn the black plastic a whitish grey but a little Armor-All will turn it black again.

If you do take the switch apart, do it inside a clear plastic bag so springs & stuff don't go flying all over.

Jehu
09-06-2007, 09:49 PM
when i was doing the heater core the plugs didn't want to push out easily so i didn't force them but if there's no risk of breakage prying them up is obviously much simpler.. no reason i guess they shouldn't come up with enough force. Anyway its an alternative,maybe he'd like to clean underneath...

gale
09-06-2007, 09:58 PM
its an alternative,maybe he'd like to clean underneath...

How true. I'm always horrified at all the crap underneath when I take stuff apart.

632 Regal
09-06-2007, 11:17 PM
i think this is why our cars didnt come with drink holders from the factory...

Now these things are being a pain in the ass! When it's hot outside they seem to not want to work at all.

I've tried lightly prying the switches up, but I wasn't confident that they wouldn't break if I tried any harder, is there an easier way to clean the contacts?

Thanks

Sam-Son
09-06-2007, 11:24 PM
Sorry to deviate but are those center window switches known for being faulty I've had mine replaced twice now and they still don't work

ILoveMPower
09-07-2007, 07:01 AM

Yeah, I was starving and had to stop for some fast food... all was well until someone pulled out right in front of me and I had to mash the brakes :(

Good to know that the switches pry right out, guess I gotta put a little grunt into it

Thanks,
- Jeremy

repenttokyo
09-07-2007, 07:36 AM

isn't it the lack of drink holders that cause the spills? :p

Ross
09-07-2007, 07:55 AM
Nein trinkin und essen in das Auto, dumKopf!

ILoveMPower
09-07-2007, 08:02 AM
There are many cupholders but the ones we got in the M5 are the best (sturdiest) I've seen for the E34

EDIT: found a pic of the type i'm refering to

http://www.bavauto.com/assets/product_images/interior_style/bmw_e34_32_d_pr.jpg

repenttokyo
09-07-2007, 08:42 AM
There are many cupholders but the ones we got in the M5 are the best (sturdiest) I've seen for the E34

EDIT: found a pic of the type i'm refering to

http://www.bavauto.com/assets/product_images/interior_style/bmw_e34_32_d_pr.jpg

that's where my phone goes ;)

Bill R.
09-07-2007, 02:34 PM
to remove the switch like this, rather than pry up on the sides like the e32 pic shows. And the switches are fairly easy to take apart and clean up with water. Just clean the surfaces of the contacts and make sure the little barbells roll freely. http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/windowswitch.jpg

mikeythekidd
09-07-2007, 04:06 PM
The GF dumped nearly a whole Grain Belt Premium all over mine. They still work like brand new! Hmmm...

attack eagle
09-07-2007, 08:34 PM
I used simple green on mine to clean the gunky residue.

e345spd
09-08-2007, 10:25 AM
Just pry up on the back of the whole switch assembly, all of them will lift out with the plastic holder too, takes 5 seconds

Russell
09-09-2007, 11:45 AM

Thanks
CRC contact cleaner. just spray a lot of it in the switches while working each of them about 10 times and then do it again. That should clean the contact points and make the switches work smoothly. Many need to do it again a few days later. Worked for me.

Also, if you need to remove the switch, it may be easier to pry out the emergency flasher switch and then pucs the window switch upward.